Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-15, 12:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default No breakfast bad for diabetics?

I was looking at a free magazine at the dentist office yesterday - Diabetes Health Monitor. A brief article said that skipping breakfast isn't a good idea. Here's their take on it:

Quote:
Think Twice Before Skipping Breakfast

Not hungry in the morning? Wait until noon to eat? If you have type 2 diabetes, you could be setting yourself up for trouble. According to a study in Diabetes Care, those who postpone their first meal of the day tend to experience blood sugar spikes that also lead to higher A1C levels - even if they eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks! Researchers believe skipping breakfast causes insulin to be less effective and causes beta cells (which produce insulin in the pancreas) to "forget" their function.

I rarely eat breakfast within an hour of getting up - generally it's several hours, and sometimes I'm not really hungry until lunch time.

So this article concerns me. Any truth to it? This magazine - like other mainstream diabetes management publications - promotes way more carbs than I - or most people here - eat. One bit of advice in this mag was to eat peas. I haven't touched them since I read Dr. B's book!
Sponsored Links