Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 17:11

Plan: Under 20 carbs a day
Stats: 150/150/135
BF:
Progress:

I saw those at the store, but I don't understand how they end up being 1 carb. Could you please explain to me how that system works...........On this diet I usually just eat meat, cheese, and salads and am excited at the thought that there might be something else out there!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 17:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

The low-carb indicated in many "low-carb" bars is due to maltitol which is a sugar alcohol. You'll find many opinions on this issue. Some subtract these sugars from the carb count due to late absorption. Labeling laws currently allow that, without even indicating the subtraction on the label.

To read more, check the Tips section on our web site from the menue above. Doreen wrote an article on the topic titled "Suagr Alcohols."

Wa'il
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 17:22

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Malitol

Hello, I am new to this board and was very excited to read about the sugar free Russell Stover candy. Ran out to Wal Mart and purchased two packs. I do have a question, the malitol count is subtracted from the carb count to give the final carb count? Just want to double check. Thanks
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 19:26

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%

hey beth......they say to subtract it......BUT!!!!!!!!!.......and everybody is different but these things not only stalled me something awful but they made me GAIN!!!!!!!!!!.......so in my case------no-------i am NEVER deducting the sugar alcohol content EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 19:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: Russell Stovers

To be fair here I would like to add the notation that everyone is different and folks will react differently to these items... I kept these on hand all winter and occasionally and the definitive word is occasionally indulged when I was looking for a LC treat...if you are the type of person that can't stop at one or two then I would recommend that you keep them out of the home and certainly if you see that you are one of the folks that gain weight by eating them then don't indulge....again mileage will vary with all things...

Bonnie
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 13:56

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 155/137/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%
Question Russell Stover Chocolate and Maltitol

Hi Everyone, this is my first posting of any sort, I've been reading for awhile now and absolutely LOVE this site. I decided to pick up the Russell Stover chocolate (Peanut Butter Cups) and WOW! these are tasty! I also picked up some others found in the Diabetic section of Shoppers Drup Mart; BelArte - Hazelnuts 4.4 carb, 4.1 maltitol - Excellent!, Cavalier - Mocca Coffee - Very Good6.6 carb, 6 maltitol. Anyways, my question for you all is why can the maltitol be subtracted from the carbs??? And has anyone been checking their ketones while consuming these amazing treats. Seems to be too good to be true!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 14:08

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 155/137/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default found most everything i wanted to know...

I just read the TIPS section on Sugar Alcohols and it answered alot of my questions. However, I'd still love to hear any testimonials...positive or negative if their out there.

Once again, amazing site and forums!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 18:25

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Re: found most everything i wanted to know...

Quote:
Originally posted by LowCarbKel
I just read the TIPS section on Sugar Alcohols and it answered alot of my questions. However, I'd still love to hear any testimonials...positive or negative if their out there.

Once again, amazing site and forums!

Low Carb Kel,

As you can see from the posts in this particulal thread alone, sugar alcohols effect folks differently...I personally have tried most of the LC Chocolate that has been offered to the public and can tell you that for me I can have the occasional indulgence without the common complaints of tummy upset or what I would classify as the "galloping hoorahs" BECAUSE I do not sit down and eat a whole bar in one sitting and limit individual truffles etc. to just one or two at the most (that's not to say that this is the only reason for the complaints but personally for me this works) ...therefore will power and common sense comes into play here...you personally will have to experiment as well to find how your body reacts and find your own limitations.... thus the phrase...Your Milage May Vary...

Bonnie
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 12:31
Registered Member

Plan: dr. akins
Stats: 308/205/150
BF:
Progress:
Cool russell stover

what is this russell stover thing i keep hearing about?
sounds interesting.
mary
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 175/175/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Question about Maltitol & Fiber

I bought some of the Russell Stover's peanut butter cups yesterday. They are wonderful. I have a question though. How is it that we can subtract the maltitol & fiber to get the true carb count? If this can be done then why doesn't it say carbs 1. Just a little scared, I really want to lose the weight this time.

Thanks,
Diane