Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 05:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/135/128
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Any Advise???

Hi -

I'd appreciate any advise...

I started the week after Easter. The first two weeks were great - lost eight pounds and felt like I was literally shrinking. The next week, however, I put on a pair of pants that had been lose and they were tight again in the legs and trunk. I couldn't believe it since I had been exercising and following induction religiously. To be honest with you, at this point, it feels like what I originally lost was water weight and every bit of it is back on my hips though I'm still exercising and following induction. I could take a stall but this is like back-peddling and very hard to keep going. I in the clothes I was wearing before I started and they are tight again.

Is this temporary and will I actually lose weight again? What is going on here? Something has to make sense to me because at this point, I feel this isn't working for me.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:16
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Have you gained or are you just going by how your clothes feel? Can't explain the bloating - I assume that's what it is. TOM?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:19
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Did you start resistance training when you started low-carbing? I ask because your muscles will hold on to water for repair jobs. It will go away. Keep on training though! Your metabolism will thank you for it.

Other reasons could be salty foods, TOM and low-carb fake foods like breads or sweets. All of these can cause water retention.

Yes, a goodly chunk of the weight lost in induction is water, but if you're in ketosis - you can tell by the funny taste in your mouth - you are burning body fat. It may seem slow going when you don't have a massive amount of fat to lose but if you look at the percentage that you have lost, you'll see that you're doing well. People that lose 20 pounds in the first month usually have over 50 pounds to lose.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 12:17

BF:
Default Appreciate the response...

>>>I DO have that funky taste so that's good to know. Maybe now I will see some results.

Also, I finally got the nerve to weigh and I've gained back five of the initial eight.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:34
Registered Member

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I also gained 5 pounds all at once. I was really upset about it. The one thing that I was eating that was different was nuts. I cut way back on the nuts and in two weeks the weight came back off. I think the 5 pounds was water gain from all the salt that I was eating with the nuts. I now buy low salt almonds and eat a smaller amount. Check to see how much salt your eating, water weights 8.8lbs per gallon. Hang in there.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 18:30

BF:
Default Thanks for your advise...

...I do eat a lot of salt. However, my salt intake hasn't increased since induction and the initial weight loss.

I will keep trying because I do feel better. I just would have expected to be at my goal by now based on initial results - not back to the starting weight.

Thanks for your time!

Dena
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 20:16
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default great info

I was so glad to read this thread because my husband was lc ing and gained 31/2 lbs. He got discouraged and quit. I did not have any explanation for him as to why this happened (cause I am just a novce and am not gaining, but rather losing at a real real slow but steady pace)

Now at least I can explain it to him...though I am not sure that he will resume lc ing it is good to know the "why" (I think there was a lot of salt in things like ham and bacon which are foods that he previously was not eating)

thanks again!