Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 10:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
For the past month, I have been writing about transformation and transformation, by its very nature,is the ultimate breaking of the mold. If you want to accomplish change in your life, if you want to eat differently, become a different size, reclaim health, make a permanent u turn on your road, the key is in bold vision. Your default patterns will just return you to a Sisyphysean fate. You will need to harness those forces that defy human predictability. As I've said many times before, this is not an easy task, but it's fun, fascinating and fabulously worthwhile. So dare to be great by breaking old patterns and imagining a life that is utterly different than the one you've endlessly repeated. Set your sights on a divine future because amazing change is possible for each one of us if we only see clearly.

A whole blog post and the last paragraph is the one that is it!!
So true!
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 07:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
May 22, 2011

Talking Heads

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

Talking Heads. We're all familiar with them: the pundits that spout social and political opinion and are largely seen from the shoulders up. But a recent experience in my ongoing tennis career led me to the conclusion that perhaps more of us fit this description than just TV commentators.

If you consider it, I think you'll agree that we spend most of our time "in our heads". With the exception of moments when our bodies are messaging us ("I have a stomach ache" or "I have to sneeze" or "get me to bathroom NOW") we are largely unaware of the bodily machinery that propels us. We see through our eyes, talk and eat through our mouths and take in information via our ears. That's alot of time spent north of the neck.

To a large degree, the focus of others is also on the upper reaches of our anatomy. I have frequently heard people complain about a lack of attention from others despite substantial weight loss. This appears to occur because most people are looking at the face rather than the body. When the dieter's face starts to slim down, he is suddenly besieged by questions about his heretofore unnoticed change in size.

Living in one's head provides a certain cerebral satisfaction, but it ignores the workhorse that gets us to the dance each and every day: our body. Like a kind of Cinderella, that body is often doing the work in some corner while we prattle on with our gussied up thoughts and intentions. That body longs to go to the ball.

Which brings us to tennis.

About six years ago when I attempted to hit a tennis ball, I failed miserably at making contact with the racquet for quite a while. A year later, I will still failing to hit any ball that was tossed over my head, which meant that I could not serve. These are basic skills and I couldn't perform them. Recently though, I realized that I had gotten significantly better. I was now asking my body to perform a number of complicated and coordinated tasks such as hitting with spin, varying pace, and selecting the direction of shots. My brain was instructing my body to do these things and now, I found with amazement, my body was responding.

After a recent lesson, I started reflecting on the tangible feeling that my mind and my body were in partnership. I felt actually proud of what my body had accomplished and I felt an acute sense of wanting to nurture the physical part of me that made up my dynamic duo.

I began asking my patients if they had any feelings of disconnect from their bodies. Most of them admitted that they did. The fact that most mirrors reflect us from the shoulders up doesn't help matters. In addition, overweight people have often cultivated an avoidance of parts south of the neck. It occured to me that it might be impossible to truly gain health until some sort of rapprochement is reached.

I believe that this, and not the calories burned or the muscles cultivated, is the reason that physical activity is so very important. Exercise, in whatever form, wakens us to the fact that there is a body below us. Over time, it pleases us by becoming a partnership. Once our body becomes a friend, it is suddenly endearing and we want to take care of it.

Anyone who has a child, a good friend, or a beloved pet knows that love has little to do with perfection. In fact, it is the imperfection that often calls forth greater affection. It can be this way with your body when you notice how hard it is trying despite all it's faults.

If you have not already done so, try asking your body to learn some new physical skills. Be patient. Then sit back and watch in awe as a new and wonderful part of you emerges.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...king-heads.html

For me, yet another great reason to exercise!
  #198   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 07:22

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

These wonderful posts always make me say Yes! Yes! Yes!

Somewhere along the line in my weight management struggles, I managed to acquire an exercise habit. The content of that exercise has changed, but never the commitment (even when my dietary plan has gone astray). I consider this a saving grace.

One of the things I enjoy about my weight training classes at the Y is the regular confrontation with my total physical self. Choosing challenging weights. Feeling the muscles work. Looking directly in the mirror. Seeing the changes, however subtle, over time.

Faith, fitness, and the relentless pursuit of new learning: these things (and lots of genetic luck) help me believe (or pretend) that I can be forever young--or at least not old.

I'll be proud if I don't run up a big Medicare bill for the youngsters to pay.
  #199   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 06:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Somewhere along the line in my weight management struggles, I managed to acquire an exercise habit. The content of that exercise has changed, but never the commitment (even when my dietary plan has gone astray). I consider this a saving grace.
Despite what others might have to say to the contrary (a la Gary Taubes), I do believe that exercise should play an important part in our lifestyle choices when losing weight, and even more so when it comes to maintenance. IMO, not only does it help to make us look better, but it also makes us feel better. Plus, the sense of commitment and discipline involved goes a long way to reinforcing our self-discipline when it comes to what we put in our mouths too.

Quote:
One of the things I enjoy about my weight training classes at the Y is the regular confrontation with my total physical self. Choosing challenging weights. Feeling the muscles work. Looking directly in the mirror. Seeing the changes, however subtle, over time.
That's definitely something that I get a kick out of too!

Quote:
I'll be proud if I don't run up a big Medicare bill for the youngsters to pay.
Again, another VERY good reason to exercise.
  #200   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 06:12

BF:

Quote:
May 25, 2011

Kirstie's Weight Loss: Another Yo?

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

After watching this season of Dancing With the Stars I found myself in a strange state of mind, sort of a cross between bemusement and distaste. Believe me, I can't blame anyone for grabbing the chance to dance with Maksim Chmerkovskiy ( by the way, I'm completely available for the first season of "Dancing With the Regular Folk"), but I found it hard to watch the dancing odyssey of famed yo-yo dieter Kirstie Alley. I guess I am having increasing trouble with the public show that passes for weight reduction these days.

Alley, who apparently has millions of twitter followers and fans, has long been the poster child for really bad weight management. There seem to be scads of people who relate to her battle with obesity and find her willingness to deal with it publicly laudable. But it's the way she does it! If it's just for laughs it's one thing, but if we are supposed to cheer on her excellent efforts, count me out.

Although much oohing and ahhing was done on DWTS as Alley dropped from what she claimed was a size 12 (really?) to a size 6 (REALLY???), there was little redeeming value in the process. Is it just me or was there a bizarre feel about the judges' comments throughout the season? Despite missed steps, flailing arms and outright falling down, they enthused about her grace, her musicality and her "huge" talent. It was almost as if her weight conferred a kind of handicapped status. She needed to be measured by a more kindly yardstick.

When Alley fell two times in rehearsal during early May she chalked it up to a starvation diet that had dropped her blood sugar too low. Her dance partner Chmerkovskiy claimed she wasn't eating despite rigorous dance training 4 to 5 hours/day. (See Maks calling Kirstie out in this video)

There is little to find inspiring in the story of a celebrity who is able to cut calories while exercising all day every day; someone who might also be slightly motivated to avoid embarrassment in front of millions of people. This experience does not exactly translate for the average person who wants to get thinner, nor are her methods to be recommended. But then, not all television has to be instructive. Some of it is just a train wreck.

Alley has repeatedly traded in on her size. Her stint as Jenny Craig spokeswoman did not go well and she left after gaining weight in 2008. She represents a diet product line at the moment which charges for on line guidance, meal plans and food. Despite going on Oprah to push her plan, she remained very overweight right up until DWTS. She repeatedly discusses her weight on TV talk shows and had a reality show called "Fat Actress" that was loosely based on her own life. In short, her recent personna has been based around being fat and she has not done much to approach the problem in a reasonable or systematic way. Nor does she seem to care much about the good she could do as a public figure who struggles with weight.

Britain's Daily Mail quoted Alley as saying, 'I haven't weighed myself in the last four weeks. I bought these dresses from a size twelve (UK size 16) to a two (UK size 6). Tonight I'm a six (UK 10). When I'm a two, I'm done, people!"

Done? Anyone who's maintaining weight loss knows that this single word is the kiss of death for weight maintenance. I think we all would place a bet on Alley's recent descent down the scale being just one half of her latest Yo.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...another-yo.html
  #201   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 06:55

BF:

Don't watch DWTS, but caught a brief blurb (with pictures) in the morning paper showing Kirstie's latest transformation. Between Kirstie and Oprah, the difficulty of maintenance is certainly getting media play. What we DON'T see is the countless "movie stars" who also bloat up and flab out between movies.

Getting to goal (or near it) as we know is only the beginning.

Speaking of exercise, I've just checked out a copy of Arthur DeVany's The New Evolution Diet. I like his tone of voice. He has an interesting take on exercise (not exactly new news): intensity, not duration. He also recommends intermittent fasting (skip a meal once a week). I think both these ideas sound doable. I might try changing up my daily walk, include some sprints. Skipping a meal? Not that hard.

Best wishes to all of us non-celebrities no longer riding the yo-yo rollercoaster!
  #202   ^
Old Thu, May-26-11, 09:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Kristie Alley a sz 6???!!! In whose world!!!!
  #203   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 02:13

BF:

Quote:
May 28, 2011

The Food Pyramid, Controversial American Dietary Icon, is Dead

By Barbara Berkeley, MD

Would it be too callous of me to say "YIPPEEE"?

The USDA Food Pyramid, which first appeared in 1992 and has served as the basis for American eating for the past 20 years, is dead and gone. Score one for Michelle Obama and company.

The Pyramid seemed like a good idea at the beginning; a way to graphically represent healthy diet. But like most governmental efforts to improve American eating, the Pyramid quickly became mired in politics and the power of the food industry. Eventually, the challenges of producing a Pyramid that told the truth became so great that its pictorial became completely uninterpretable. This is perhaps the ultimate metaphor for the American eating experience. Confusion, misdirection and frank disinformation are the ploys that keep us comfortably consuming as we do. After all, if we can't figure it out, we are unlikely to see that it can hurt us.

As readers of my blog and book know, I am for simplicity when it comes to diet. That's because the original human diet is simplicity itself and since that is the diet to which we are best adapted, why look further? I advocated eating by "Plate Pattern" in Refuse to Regain. One quarter of your plate protein (food with a lean animal source), three quarters of your plate fruits and vegetables. Can't get any simpler than that. This is very similar to the new plate-based icon that the government will introduce on Thursday. But this easy formula presents a problem for the people who process and package foods. Where do cereals, all that soy stuff, all those crackers and breads and bagels fit in? What about those nice fatty steaks that come from the CAFOs where they stuff cows full of grain? What about premium ice cream, candy and cake? What about all those corn based products (corn is a grain, not a vegetable)? The answer is simple. They don't fit in, so they need to be relegated to the Itty Bitty Consumption category. But companies that make millions producing these foods are not interested in itty bitty sales.

The USDA is a governmental agency which supports food production, not a health agency. Thus, the interests of food manufacturers have always gotten in the way of good nutritional advice where the Food Pyramid is concerned. The struggles that contributing nutritional experts have had with each Pyramid iteration are well documented in books like "Eat, Drink and Be Healthy", by Walter Willett and "Food Politics", by Marion Nestle.

The most recent Pyramid (see here) is a masterpiece of obfuscation, a veritable Rosetta Stone of nutrition. I have yet to meet a single person who understands it. When this puzzling graphic first made its appearance, I tried to access the supporting web materials that were supposed to unearth its meaning. The experience reminded me of a famous scene in the Marx Brothers "A Day at the Races". A hustler sells Groucho a tip on a race, but it turns out to be just a code number for the name of the winning horse. The hustler then tells Groucho that he must buy a guidebook to figure out the code. But of course he then needs yet another book to figure out the guidebook. Then another and another. An exasperated Groucho winds up nearly broke with a backbreaking load of books. Finally, he rushes to the window with the horse's name, but of course, the race has already been run.

The Food Pyramid age also seemed to usher in a new, and equally obfuscating age of Food Elementalism. Suddenly, it seemed, we had passed from common sense guidance like "Don't eat before dinner, you'll spoil your appetite", to ridiculous and impossible regulations like, "

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends this distribution for the energy nutrients:

•Fat: 20 - 35% of total calories (average 30%)
•Protein: 10 – 35% (average 15%)
•Carbohydrates: 45 – 65% (average 55%)

We were asked to monitor the consumption of myriad food elements like omega 3 fatty acids, folate, B vitamins, trans fats, anti-oxidants and so on.

When people are not using guidelines because they are not practical, there is obviously a problem with the guidelines. Yet for the past 20 years, we have done virtually nothing to change our tack. To the contrary, I perceive a vague sense of annoyance on the part of the nutritional establishment, something like, "Here we are putting out all this information and no one is using it." Until now, there hasn't been much reflection on the obvious: "Maybe the information we're putting out just isn't useful."

Simple formulas like plate pattern and simple rules like: eat only what you can hunt, pick, fish or gather are easy to follow and teach. Imagining a food supply that looks like what a tribal hunter could eat is alot more visual and memorable for a child than asking him to figure out what per cent of his calories come from fat. We need more of this.

Congratulations Michelle Obama on an important turn toward nutritional common sense.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...n-is-dead-.html
  #204   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 10:59

BF:

Quote:
May 31, 2011

What's Your FIQ? Take the Quiz

by Barbara Berkeley

In the past twenty or thirty years it seems that Americans have become hyper-involved with food. We spend inordinate amounts of time thinking about it and planning how to eat it. Food has become an entertainment rather than a pleasurable form of sustenance. I believe that most of us don't even realize how involved we truly are. How did this happen?

We live in a culture that puts us into an extremely heightened contact with food. Here's one simple example: before 1950, most groceries were bought from small, local stores. Shopping was done largely from day to day and choices were minimal. The first supermarkets built in the 50s and 60s put us in contact with about 10,000 items during each shopping trip. Huge on-site parking lots made it possible to cart large loads of food home thus assuring that we would be exposed to lots more food items every day and on our own shelves. By 2006, the average number of items in a supermarket had quadrupled to 45,000 making a simple stop for milk an exercise is food immersion.

All of these new food items were forced to differentiate themselves in order to generate sales. They continue to do this by advertising, both in the media and on their own labels. They also do this by paying for an increased share of our awareness through placement in prime spots on supermarket shelves. Essentially, food forces us to pay attention at every turn.

As large amounts of food made their way into our lives for the first time, industrialization made it easier to take advantage of a growing interest in eating more and eating in more variety. Fast food, convenience stores, and chain restaurants all made their appearance. As David Kessler describes in The End of Overeating, food manufacturers soon figured out ways to make flavors that were more alluring and addictive.

We were seduced. A culture devoted to food interest soon sprung up in the face of increased consumption. For the first time chefs became celebrities, whole television channels were devoted to eating, and endless magazine and newspaper articles were devoted to recipes.

Unless you are 55 years old or more, you are unlikely to remember that this food environment represents an enormous shift from what it had been not very long ago. And we can hardly call it progress. The new oversaturation has generated an unprecedented amount of food obsession with a particularly worrisome twist: younger people who have only known our current food environment don't see it as dangerous. To them, it seems normal. If they are growing fat and getting ill, it must be their fault, not that of the environment. All we have to do is look at our skyrocketing diabetes and obesity rates to see how deadly this assumption is.

It's been my observation that those who learn how to maintain lost weight are usually those who are able to disengage and put a healthy distance between themselves and today's food environment. Essentially, they become less involved, less able to be stimulated. They do this by eating actual food (not fake food from packages) in consistent, reproducible ways. They cook less, bake less, spend less time thrilling to the menu of the newest restaurant, and fewer minutes watching what I call "food porn": television shows that are built around food and show lots of hyperstimulatory images of food.

Food Involvement is very hard to break and is often the reason that dieters regain their weight. After weight loss, most people go through what I call the "Bargaining Phase". These are the days and months when new maintainers try to find a way around an essential truth: that they must abandon the SAD (standard American diet) if they want to stay thin. Bargaining goes something like this: "I'm sure that I can keep this weight off if I just exercise more." "I won't have a problem if I'm more moderate than I used to be." "I'll be able to eat out and have whatever i want as long as I'm "good" on other days." "There are no bad foods, just as long as I only have a little." Or, in my practice: "Dr. Berkeley is crazy. I don't really have to give up all those things."

Bargainers have what I call a high "Food Involvement Quotient". And how could they not? Being raised in our American food environment, they have been saturated with food for a lifetime and have come to rely on eating for a large part of their pleasure.

Those who have made a food conversion have managed to break the pattern. In my book, I reproduce some of the daily menus of successful maintainers quoted in People Magazine's "Half Their Size" series. Their meals consist of unadorned fare like handfuls of nuts, a few shrimp and steamed vegetables and the like. Awhile back, I wrote about the diet of Olympic figure skater Evan Lysacek, who ate simple fruits, veggies and protein while training to win the gold medal. Jack LaLanne, who died recently in his late 90s and was a highly successful advocate for health, ate a spartan, Primarian style diet. Yesterday's news featured an Associated Press article on the world' oldest Type 1 diabetic. For 85 years this man has carefully controlled his diet eating small amounts of real foods that are extremely low in sugar. This dietary approach, consistently applied, has enabled him to ward off the complications of one of our deadliest diseases. These are people over whom the SAD (standard American diet) has lost power.

Perhaps you can make the case that clean-eating people are obsessed with food, just in a different way. It's true that eating healthily requires attention but it's more of a defensive attention. Non-SAD eaters must remain wary of falling prey to the siren song of the food culture. It's a strong magic and no one is completely immune.

What is your Food Involvement Quotient? Take this quiz and find out.

Your FIQ

1. Are you constantly on the look out for new eating experiences?

2. If a new restaurant opens in your area, would trying it out be a top priority?

3. Do you have a subscription to a cooking magazine or do you frequently purchase one?

4. Do you routinely watch the Food Channel or other food related television?

5. Are you frequently looking for new recipes and new ways to prepare the food you eat?

6. Do you frequently blog, twitter or post on facebook about food or what you are eating?

7. Is the subject of food, restaurants or cooking a frequent topic of conversation with friends?

8. Do you believe that you have a weight problem because you are weak, lack willpower or have

a metabolic problem and that if you were different you could control food?

9. Do you control weight by trying to be "good" on most days and "treating" yourself on others?

10. Do you long to try the latest version of your favorite sweet? (ice cream, cookies, cake, etc?)

11. Is it impossible to imagine a birthday or celebration without cake and does that cake seem harmless because you "deserve" it?

12. Do you frequently buy food on impulse because it looks good or the label is alluring?

13. Are other pleasures significantly less pleasurable if you remove the food? (For example: going to the movies, watching sports, being with friends)

Result Key: Your Food Involvement Quotient

If you answered Yes to 5 questions or less: Your FIQ is low and your ability to lose and maintain weight is high. Modern food has become less of a part of your life which means you have the opportunity for real change.

If you answered Yes to 6-8 questions: You have a moderate FIQ. You are still very involved in the world of modern food. While you may want to get out from under, you are not sure how to do it.

If you answered Yes to 9 to 13 questions: Your FIQ is high which means that you are very involved with food. Because food is still so seductive for you, this is likely making weight loss and maintenance impossible.

Every one of us has an involvement with food. The degree of involvement, however, impacts on our ability to remain healthy. Each one of us faces the challenge of learning to see the modern food world as it really is: supremely unhealthy, capable of seriously cutting your life short, capable of robbing you of the joy of living through obesity and related disease, a killer that takes hundreds of thousands of American lives each year. This reality is tough to see and tougher to hold in our minds because we live in an ether that constantly feeds us very different messages. "Food is fun." "Food is pleasure". "Food is a hobby" and most damaging, "Food is harmless if you only know how to control it." These messages are nothing more than a form of hypnosis.

In my next post: Tips on disengaging from the pack and lowering your Food Involvement Quotient.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...e-the-quiz.html
  #205   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 12:10

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Great post as usual.

Being a bargainer is why I'm back for the third time. I am determined not to be one again.

I scored a 4 and that is counting #6, which I think is important for me to be doing right now as I try to ease into maintenance. I hope the score really is telling for how I will do this time.
  #206   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 12:33

BF:

I scored a 1--and that would be #6--or maybe #7. But it's all about LC.

Like Freckles, it's important for me to be HERE, and also reading, reading, reading about the principles of LC. I'm a type of "foodie," but in a different food environment altogether.

Over the holiday weekend, at a lakeside house party, one of the
other guests said to me, "I wish I had your discipline." The hard truth is as Berkeley says:
Quote:
they must abandon the SAD (standard American diet) if they want to stay thin.

I'll never be thin. And I've learned how much determination it takes to run as fast as I can just to stay in one place. Wishing, I know, doesn't get the job done.

I wish I knew how to bottle that determination. I'd make a fortune (and also I'd have a supply on hand when mine looks to be running out!)
  #207   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 13:53

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I scored a 5. I hope this really is a good indicator for me as I can now see my goal weight in my sites.

I'm following all you maintainers right now hoping to learn from the best.
  #208   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 14:51
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

I scored a 4 or 5, but honestly most of my food involvement is focused on LC food. New LC recipes, new restaurants that are LC-friendly, talking to friends and family who eat LC or enjoy our cooking, etc. None of it has anything to do with the SAD. I think that this quiz might be more relevant for people who are just starting out, not maintainers.

--Melissa
  #209   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 15:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
If you answered Yes to 5 questions or less: Your FIQ is low and your ability to lose and maintain weight is high. Modern food has become less of a part of your life which means you have the opportunity for real change.

I scored under 5....which is correct for where I am in maintenance simply because I got "it" when I was losing it.

This is a good quiz for newbies to eating a new (low carb) way and those still trying to get this done.
There is no going back to the way we used to eat....there is, however, a new/old world of whole and wonderful fresh food to eat!!
Until people get this on a very fundamental level, they will keep struggling and regaining.
  #210   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-11, 05:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I scored under 5....which is correct for where I am in maintenance simply because I got "it" when I was losing it.
Under 5 for me as well because this time around I also finally 'got it'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
There is no going back to the way we used to eat....there is, however, a new/old world of whole and wonderful fresh food to eat!!
Until people get this on a very fundamental level, they will keep struggling and regaining.
Exactly!