Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 11:49

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
So what do transformed maintainers do? Here is what I observe:

1. Through disciplined practice, transformed people have spent enough time avoiding addictive foods that their response to them is blunted. This makes it much easier to ignore previously addictive foods or say no to them. However, there is still danger. Re-contact with these foods is often enough to restore the original craving cycle. Hence the difficulty with advice that suggests consuming addictive foods "in moderation".

2. Those with transformed eating have discovered workable subsitutions for addictive foods. Over time, these much less harmful foods fill the void and even become preferable.

3. There does seem to be a kind of desensitization that some transformed eaters achieve. This is a somewhat advanced skill, but it can be practiced once you feel reasonably in control of addictive foods. I believe that for some people, putting themselves directly in confrontation with foods and "staring them down" helps to dull their effect. After awhile, you may find that you can create a sort of zen state in which you are protected from the signals sent by these foods. Your brain learns to damp down their siren call. This helps enormously as it requires you to spend much less time on defense.

There posts are very helpful and encouraging.

I think/hope/pray I've got 1 and 2 down....hope/pray I get to 3.

Someone told me just this morning that one bite wouldn't completely ruin my diet. I had to explain to her that first, this isn't a diet for me, and second, that one bite could potentially send me down a path of days of eating things I should not be eating. That one bite just isn't worth the risk to my health and well-being!
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 04:26

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
April 18, 2011

The Mystical Power of Exercise

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

These Transformative Principles are part of a series on achieving permanent health change that began on March 21. The "principles" are not meant to be gospel. They are simply thoughts of mine that are based on the observation of successful maintainers, personal experience and--to some degree-- my own conjecture. I hope they provide some food for thought as you continue your own quest for health transformation. These and many similar insights into maintenance can be found in my book: Refuse to Regain: 12 Tough Rules to Maintain the Body You've Earned. Hope you enjoy them.

Transformative Principle #9: Figure Out How to Find Joy in Exertion

Here is my favorite vacation: Fly to Tampa with my husband and drive 45 minutes to tennis camp. Wake up the next morning at 6 am, have a lovely breakfast, and be on the court by 8 am. Run around like a nut hitting groudstrokes, overheads, volleys and playing points for three hours in the warm Florida sun. Eat a tuna salad and change clothes. Play another two hours in the afternoon. Have a drink. Find a couple to play doubles. Play more tennis. Eat at the salad bar: big plate full of greens, veggies, fruits and maybe some grilled chicken. Fall asleep at 9 pm. Wake up and do it all again.

I was not born an exercise addict and I surely don't come by it naturally. My parents and sister were not physically active, nor were my aunts, uncles, cousins or friends. I played no school sports, could not throw a ball or swing a bat and avoided breaking a sweat like the plague. How, then, did this odd transformation occur?

The answer is that I don't know. Falling in love with exertion is something that just happens and no one can say exactly why. It's very similar to the blank looks I get when I ask successful maintainers why they managed to change all their habits now when they never could before. No one is sure why they were able to do it, they just did.

We know that data from the National Weight Control Registry is specific regarding the benefits of exercise. In the greater than 5,000 maintainers under study, successful weight stabilization is highly correlated with hefty amounts of movement: the equivalent of walking four miles daily. We also know that exercise allows you to have more muscle mass and that muscle helps maintenance. There is also data suggesting that the metabolic slowdown that occurs with long diets heals up faster in those who exercise and may be prolonged in those who don't.

But none of this data gets to the point that is most interesting. What is the mystical power that exercise holds and why do some of us fall under its spell, while others remain stubbornly resistant? How can those of us who love the feeling of our chosen workout convey the pleasure it has brought to our lives? Prosyletizing is particularly difficult since people who don’t like to exercise have a negative feeling about it that often approaches loathing. On the other hand, the experiences of many of us say that a complete attitude flip is possible.

Having been on the loathing side and now on the loving side, I remain complete unsure of what flipped the switch. The best I can do is make this observation: the key lies in your continual search for exertional enjoyment. In one of the earlier Transformative pieces, I talked about the need to validate your body and connect with it. Using the body in a physically challenging way is the most direct expression of this principle. It is almost as if your brain and your body become a team with one relying on the other. During a tennis match, when my brain tells me to hit a rocket shot down-the-line and my body carries out the planned attack, I feel so proud of my physical self!

Finding a way to love exercise is a search in the dark for something that is not clear. How to love a work out? I think the best advice is simply to keep giving yourself opportunities. It is completely possible to become hooked on something you never liked if the right situation presents itself. I had taken multiple tennis lessons over a 20 year period at the behest of my tennis-playing husband. I was utterly resistant and hated every minute of those lessons. But about seven years ago, I took a single lesson from a teacher who was patient, funny and fun. I kept going back. He convinced me to join a team and the rest is history. For some strange reason, this particular set of circumstances led to a love for the sport that has yet to cool down. It was just the right moment. Look for your moment by continuing to try different work outs, sports, classes and physical activities.

Exercise works in mystical, healing ways. It mops up dietary indiscretions. It validates the healthful work you’ve done on yourself by giving direct proof of what your new body can do. It soothes and calms by aligning your thoughts with your physical self. It empowers by demonstrating that your abilities can continue to improve throughout your lifespan. So, if you have not made peace with your athletic identity as of yet, keep trying. Your journey to transformation cannot be wholly complete if it relies simply on your brain. Meld the body and the mind for ultimate power.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...f-exercise.html
  #183   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-11, 02:33

BF:

Quote:
April 22, 2011

Let The Spring Cleaning Begin: Part 2

By Lynn Haraldson

A few weeks ago, I started a series of blogs in response to Barbara’s Refuse to Regain Season of Transformation, principals she has identified as imperative to permanent weight loss and maintenance. As I wrote earlier, when I read Barbara’s principles, I realized I’ve become complacent in some areas of maintenance and that it’s time to dust off my map of this maintenance journey. Today I address “Transformative Principle #3: Find others who are transforming.” One of my favorite topics in maintenance.

I’ve written several times here about my Maintaining Divas, the support group a few of us Weight Watchers online folks formed once we made goal. (“A Gathering of Divas,” “The Maintaining Divas Meet At Last, and “Photographs and Memories.”

Some excerpts from those blogs: “If you’re a maintainer and you hang out with people in maintenance, you find out just how normal you are, even though to the SAD (Standard American Diet) world you’re considered strange.

“In less than 48 hours [of meeting the Divas], I formed a lasting bond with women I’d not have otherwise known…without a similar commitment to weight loss and maintenance as mine. It’s not every day you meet folks like that.

“We agree we are better maintainers and better friends for having met. We feel safe in each other’s presence. This doesn’t mean we’re not safe or comfortable with people who are living the SAD life. Far from it. It’s just really nice to gather with a group of folks who ‘get it.’ No apologies, no explanations, no excuses. Just an understanding among friends.

“It is almost an aside that together we’ve lost 651 pounds. Yes, we’ve lost a lot of weight. We discuss food and exercise. But as maintainers know, food and exercise are hardly the bulk and heft of maintenance. It is in understanding ourselves and what motivates us to eat and exercise. It is how we relate to the people we live with and see every day. It is, ultimately, how we feel deep down about ourselves. That is what the Maintaining Divas talk about. And it is what I wish for everyone who is losing weight and maintaining: to find a few people with whom you feel comfortable to start chatting with and slowly develop a sustaining, intimate bond that goes deep into what weight-loss and maintenance is all about.

“Surely if losing weight and maintaining weight was merely a matter of eating right and exercising, anyone could do it. But you know and I know that eating right and exercising is imbedded in a psychological need to feel better about ourselves, and to connect with other people who get it is a true key to success.”

Having a support system in which people are atune to your maintenance is really important. Also crucial to this maintenance life is who we live with day in and day out. Barbara wrote, “…obesity is ‘catching.’ A person is increasingly likely to be obese if their friends are obese. Same goes for family members.”

As you may know, I’m recently divorced and have moved an hour away from my previous home. My ex-husband, Larry, was my biggest supporter as I lost weight. He lost 25 pounds, too, and has maintained it. He bought me a bike when I got to goal and we became, as he said, the active couple he’d always hoped we’d become.

Not living with Larry has influenced me in a way I was not expecting. I no longer cook for two. And working out…well…let’s just say I could use some improvement in that area, too. I know motivation comes only from within and not at the encouragement of another, but when you live with someone, their habits influence your habits and (hopefully, in terms of positive health) vice versa. Larry was a health-conscious influence.

Seven months post-divorce, I confess my eating habits aren’t what they used to be. They’re not horrible, just irregular and could use some tweaking. I also find a myriad excuses to not push myself physically like I used to. Not that I was in competition with Larry, but living with him – he who worked out regularly – reminded me to do the same.

Dating is its own maintenance maze. Like one of the Divas said to me the other day, nothing will make you gain weight quite like dating, because it’s so easy to take on someone else’s habits. I am mindful of my eating, but a few pounds have crept onto my body, and they have everything to do with restaurant food and swapping workout time for dating time. Dating is definitely another piece to this maintenance puzzle.

Our lives are not stagnant. Something or someone will always stand in the way of maintenance if we let them. Surrounding ourselves with like-minded people…that’s not always easy. But having a few is crucial. We need to know we’re not alone. We need people around us who “get it” to remind us that SAD is a choice, just as is maintenance. I’m feeling a little lost right now, but I will rebound because I have myself and my will to maintain, and – perhaps more importantly – I’ve got the Divas and Barbara and this blog. As any maintainer will tell you, if you don’t believe you’re worth it, you will not succeed, but it’s important to have a few people have your back.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...gin-part-2.html
  #184   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-11, 05:32

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Go, Lynn. I couldn't agree more about finding the right kind of support. I found a great group of friends online, and also enjoy the everlasting discussion here. This feels like home to me, and I learn something every day.

When my husband died in 2007, I was at my weight goal. Sparse eating and lots of exercise to work off stress undoubtedly contributed to that.

Fast forward a little. Met someone new, who appreciated my devotion to fitness, like his. It only took a couple of years for the Weight Creep to join the relationship.

I wish I hadn't put on the twenty "happy pounds." More important, I wish I hadn't lost sight of my low-carb commitment to lifelong health and maintenance. Luckily, I saw the light, and I'll be back to where I want to be again soon. No excuses.

Meanwhile, I make a hobby of coaching others who ask, in real life and online. I've learned a lot of valuable things, and teaching is one way of putting them into practice daily.

Carry on.
  #185   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-11, 09:55
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

This is very useful for me - so glad it was posted here. It's true that a change in one's lifestyle can rock the boat a wee bit. I also experienced some 'creep-age' during 2010 and into part of 2011 due to some significant changes in our lives. Finally got back on track in the past few weeks, but spent most of the last year and a bit battling that creep-age over and over again, and not really getting anywhere. Truth is, I was snacking too much on things like nuts, trail mix and gluten-free crackers. Just 'stress eating' mainly.

Eating well during the day really, really helps in terms of not getting into snacking in the evening, but like I said - lifestyle changes had me floundering a wee bit in terms of breakfasts and lunches. I was on my own, and not as inclined to bother making proper meals. This led to a "hungry at the wrong place and time" issue, hence snacking in the evenings.

Also - it's very helpful for me to notice how important it is for us to have support through maintenance. There are a lot of people around these forums who really do get it, and it's helping me a whole lot. Aside from my husband, I don't really have a lot of support or understanding re: maintenance and the need to keep on plan, irl. It's almost as if other family members seem to think I can just quit worrying about it. Not true!

My husband gets it, and so does everyone around here. Others - not so much. In fact, sometimes it almost seems like there's pressure to "just go ahead" and eat off plan.

Thanks for posting this blog post which articulates the importance of support and explains how 'something or someone can get in the way of maintenance, if you let them.'
  #186   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-11, 13:22

BF:

Great post! I agree that having like-minded people around you is one key to success. Not taking the time to keep up here was part of my downfall the last time for sure.
  #187   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 19:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Since spending more time on this pre/maintenance bd, has already invigorated me! My mind set is more solidified..I love it!
  #188   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 07:37

BF:

Quote:
April 25, 2011

Two Fit Chicks and a Microphone Interview with Lynn

Lynn was recently interviewed by Carla (MizFit) and Shauna (The Amazing Adventures of Diet Girl!) on the Two Fit Chicks and a Microphone podcast. The topic? Maintenance! Click here to listen.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...-with-lynn.html
  #189   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 07:18

BF:

Quote:
April 26, 2011

Pivot, Corkscrew, Ascent: When to Panic

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

So maintainer, you are trying to stabilize at that new, lower number on the scale. You're trying, but sometimes that number seems as slippery as an eel. It's here! It's gone! What the heck did you do? Is there any logic?

Number panic comes in many forms, but no matter how much you dread waiting for that digital display to decide your fate, you will be helped by some basic knowledge.

The primary thing to understand is that the body is a balancer, not a static instrument. By that I mean that your bodily programs are always working to correct excursions from a desired midline. Your body may want your blood pressure to be 120 over 80, but if I check your blood pressure ten times over an hour, each reading will be somewhat different. Each cholesterol test will be a bit different. Each measurement of potassium, magnesium, sodium will vary a bit. When you test something, you are taking a snapshot of the body's balancing act. Maybe you're on the high end of the balance one day, and the low end the next. Getting a bunch of measurements gives us a sense of the midline.

If your weight is stable, your morning readings will be higher on some days and lower on others. (Don't fall prey to the temptation to weigh yourself later in the day when food, elimination and water retention can add up to quite a few extra, scary pounds). This gentle rise and fall is the "pivot". Your body is holding onto water, then eliminating it; building up glycogen in the muscles, then burning it. Nothing to worrry about. In fact, this is just what you should aim for. Your response: If your diet and exercise are stable, you should do nothing. If you have let up a bit and you notice that you are getting more higher-end readings and fewer lower-end ones, you should tighten up on the reins. But all in all, you get a gold star.

Pivoting is great, but many would-be maintainers find themselves in one of two other situations: the "corkscrew" or the "ascent".

You are corkscrewing if your weight pivots around one point and then starts creeping up by a few pounds. You then pivot there for a bit until there is another turn of the screw. Like a corkscrew slowly being rotated, this pattern takes a slow and steady bite out of your weight loss. It tends to be insidious because there is time to get used to each new weight. From a psychological point of view, small regains at the beginning don't seem very threatening, so you tend to let them go. Your response: First, determine if post-diet weight was too low to maintain. There is often a 5 to 10 pound weight regain after a big loss. I believe this is because dieters have depleted the glycogen in their muscles which tends to weigh about this much. As the body rebuilds and uses these stores, there may be regain. It's relatively unimportant, although you will see it on the scale. If you have gained a bit, but are now able to keep a stable pivot at your new weight, I'd say this is a fine result. If, on the other hand, you are continuing to corkscrew upward, I would suggest immediate action. One thing that helps me personally to avoid corkscrewing is vigorous exercise. If you are able to work out hard and enjoyably, consider increasing your exercise frequency. I believe you will find that your weight responds by staying much more stable. I also suggest that you keep a food journal for a week. Keep a notebook with you and don't be afraid to write down everything you eat. Then take an honest look at how many starches and sugars have crept back into your diet. Vow to cut them back or cut them out.

The "ascent" is the most feared consequence of dieting. Weight goes up rapidly and smoothly, like an escalator carrying you to a floor you'd hoped never to visit again. I have seen ascension frequently, but I have only observed one cause: lack of dietary conversion. In other words, weight is regained rapidly because the maintainer has returned to some form of old habits. In the past, we've talked about the bargaining phase. Each one of us has experienced this. It's the period after weight loss when we convince ourselves that we can strike a bargain with food. We can eat as we once did, but in a controlled way. In the most literal sense, we can have our cake and eat it too. While this may work for a small few, the fact is that POWs (those who gain weight easily, "previously overweight") are uniquely sensitive to many of the characteristics of the modern diet. We don't rechallenge someone who is allergic to peanuts with a Snickers bar. It could kill them. For POWs, rechallenge is dangerous and defeating. Those of you who have had your own food conversion know how differently you now eat. If you are successfully maintaining weight, you have found a way around the foods that once controlled you. Your response to the "ascent": Pick a quit date sometime in the next couple of weeks when you can start over. As that date approaches, throw out everything in the house that you shouldn't be eating. Restart your original weight loss plan. Attack the problem seriously and with intensity. Food conversions, or deep, permanent changes in your personal menu, don't come easily, but they are worth seeking. Rather than simply working on losing pounds, work on making the decision to opt out of the American way of eating. Once you are hooked on an alternative, you will have beaten the ascent.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...n-to-panic.html
  #190   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 08:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

She makes some good points about being new to maintaining and the slip ups that can easily happen to any of us.

I do remember being so new and so scared!! I think that my fear kept me motivated to keep my new food boundaries in tact. Daily weighing and setting up boundaries on acceptable and unacceptable numbers kept me in line and around which I stuck it out.

I laughed a little when she talks about starches and sugars creeping back into our food. If/when you create a food plan that includes enough of these types of food when you are still in low carb weight loss mode, this doesn't become an issue. For me, it is still about tending to be an overeater in general, even on plan food.

I do see a direct correlation between my daily walking(5-6 hours daily) and keeping my weight stable. I'm working on building more muscle doing Pilates.
  #191   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 13:36

BF:

I appreciate the point she made about weight fluctuations being normal from day to day due to the balancing act of our bodies. My bouncing around was causing me all kinds of stress.

I was surprised that she suggested picking a quit date "sometime in the next couple of weeks when you can start over." !!! I would want to start immediately if I saw my weight going up "rapidly" as she describes. Of course....I never did when in maintenance...I just quit paying attention to the scale. <sigh> Hope it will be different for me this time.....Hope I will make it different for me this time.
  #192   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 02:06

BF:

Quote:
May 03, 2011

Liposuction vs. Transformation: Procedures Can't Change You, But YOU can!!

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

You know that person of your acquaintance who had bariatric surgery and gained it all back? What happened?

The answer is simple. They believed that the procedure alone could "fix" them. But our current surgical treatments for obesity are sold the wrong way. Rather than being fixes, they are helpers. Most patients arent' told that. What do I mean by "helpers"? I mean that bariatric surgeries give you the time and inclination to transform.....if you want to.

As drastic as bariatric surgery may seem, it alone is not enough to create permanent weight loss in many people. What it does do, quite effectively, is buy patients about a year and a half to change eating habits. During the early period after surgery, pain, nausea, vomiting, dumping syndrome and extreme fullness are enough to make the surgically-altered disinterested in eating. But over time, many people regain their tolerance to larger amounts of food and to the toxic food elements of the SAD (standard American diet). If, during the first 18 months, the surgerized have jettisoned S Foods (sugars and starches) and fatty combo foods from their diet, the operation will help them stay slim forever. If, as is often the case, they have learned to eat "through" the surgery, no amount of restriction or bypass is enough to keep weight from returning. Thus, your obese-again acquaintance.

Liposuction is a surgical alternative that provides even less in the way of help. Subcutaneous fat, the fat that lies right under the skin, is removed. Dangerous deposits of visceral fat, the fat that hangs around inside your abdominal cavity, is left untouched. Nothing about the procedure other than your slimmer thighs encourages you to change eating habits. Now, a new study published this month in Obesity reveals worse news. After liposuction, fat comes back but changes location. Often, the new fat winds up in the belly.

The study divided women who were not obese, but who had fatty deposits in thighs and lower abdomen, into two groups. One group got liposuction while the other did not. Both groups were advised NOT to change lifestyle habits during the study, so food intake remained constant. Please note this, as it is important.

Immediately after the liposuction, the body fat percentage and amount of total body fat of the operated ladies was significantly lower than that of the control group (the ones who got no liposuction), but by 6 months this difference was vanishing and by one year it was gone. The fat had returned and the amount of fat in both groups was now equal. Strikingly, however,in the operated women the thigh and buttock areas remained less fat, while new fat appeared in the abdomen. At the one year mark, both the liposuctioned women and the controls had more abdominal fat than they had at the beginning of the study. Worse, there was a tendency for the liposuctioned women to gain more fat in the visceral area: inside the belly. That area is the most dangerous area for fat accumulation as the deposits there produce toxic and inflammatory chemicals that affect the rest of the body.

Should we be surprised by these results? I, for one, am not. If the body is storing fat because of a diet that encourages this, it will find a place to put that fat. Perhaps during liposuction, the local fat tissue is damaged or its ability to reproduce itself destroyed. If that option is gone, the body will simply look for another place to store the fat.

What disturbs me most about this study is not the fact that fat comes back. Instead it is this paragraph, found in the discussion section (the underlining is mine):

When AT mass (fat mass) increases or decreases, neurohormonal signals stimulate individual responses that promote a return to the original level . Weight-loss itself creates a context for weight regain linked to increases in appetite, food intake, and increased insulin sensitivity. In this study, outside of a weight-loss paradigm, undefined physiologic mechanisms seem to have restored the surgically induced imbalance between AT and fat-free mass.

Translation: Once you lose weight, your body responds by making lots of powerful chemical signals that tell you to eat more and put the weight back on. You eat more and regain. But who says so? In this study, the researchers controlled for food intake. Theoretically, the women DIDN'T eat more after they were liposuctioned. According to these study results, the weight loss actually did not cause the stated "increases in appetite" and "food intake". As a result, the researchers came to the conclusion that some"undefined" physiological mechanisms were at play.

Here's what I think happened. Both groups were eating diets that tended to put on fat. No attempt was made to alter that diet. The liposuctioned group caught back up to the non-operated group within one year. Both groups increased the level of visceral fat in their bodies at one year, so both were eating diets that promoted fat and nothing at all changed. Inserting a procedure into the equation didn't alter the basic problem.

If it were inevitable that "undefined physiologic mechanisms" caused weight regain, there would be no successful weight maintainers. Having written this blog for over two years now and through it having met and corresponded with scores of successful maintainers, I know with certainty that regain is NOT inevitable. But here is what IS inevitable: continued weight accumulation if you are eating a fat promoting diet.

It's time for those of us who are serious about getting healthy to face this hard truth. No pill, no surgery, no liposuction catheter can do anything more than temporarily reverse the process. But we can permanently disable the process with our own food transformation. If we stop eating the foods that stoke the insulin machinery, our body can't make fat. Is there some overarching compulsion that forces us to return to sugar, starch and high fat treats? Yes. But I believe that the compulsion is less physiological (inside our body) and a lot more cultural. And that's good news. More and more of us are figuring out ways to accomplish a food conversion, a permanent and complete change in the way we eat. As I've said numerous times before, the most important thing we can do to facilitate this conversion is to keep trying. As time goes on, the chances that you will accept and come to love a diet that is made up of foods that never saw a factory and that have no starch and very little sugar increases. So keep trying, and when you wake up tomorrow, ask yourself this question: is today the day that I'm going to make the change and make it stick? Am I ready? One fine morning, the answer will be yes.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...ut-you-can.html
  #193   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 04:22

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I read about this study in the Research forum and posted there. I've never seriously considered liposuction, although it is certainly a persistent temptation for those of us with localized (and disproportionate) fat deposits--eg. thunder thighs.

This series of essays reminds me what an achievement maintenance is. I congratulate myself, and bolster my resolve in the face of those last ten pounds (see thunder thighs ) that no dietary adherence or exercise seem to reduce.

And, oh, in spite of strenuous denial, I am NOT 35...45...55 anymore.

In fact, maintaining a healthy weight, cardio-pulmonary fitness, and muscle strength are more important than ever. It's not about aesthetics.

Thanks, Demi.
Best wishes.
  #194   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 10:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Demi...that was a great article gave me much to chew on
  #195   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 10:18

BF:

Quote:
May 06, 2011

To Repeat is Human, To Transform Divine

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

With the recent killing of Osama Bin Laden, American unity is back at its peak. As in the days after 911 we are all coming together. Republicans are not only talking to Democrats, they are actually complementing them. All of this congeniality is fueling speculation that perhaps this time, maybe this time, things will change and petty political bickering will cease.

We should know better.

Human beings are nothing if not tribal. Give us a reason to band together against a common enemy and we will. Right now, that enemy is Al Qaeda and the good guys are us, party politics aside. But in a few weeks, we will divide into smaller groups and the Dems will vilify the Republicans once again. We do this all the time. In fact, endlessly. Cleveland against Pittsburgh. My little tennis club against the one across town. Your son's T-Ball league against those awful cheaters from the other division.

When you think about it, human beings have an unfortunate lack of imagination and insight. We have a few narratives in our lives. We repeat them over and over, often learning nothing. This is the essence of being human and the tragedy of history.

A friend of mine was complaining to me just the other day about the dynamics in her company. That guy that always claims that he's overworked and underappreciated was sending out inflammatory emails yet again. Her boss was undermining her as she had done many times in the past. A co-worker who liked stealing ideas and taking credit for them was at it again. I told her that her business reminded me of a barnyard where each animal could only make one sound. The cow moos, the sheep baas and the pig oinks. They don't have another script. In our human version of Animal Farm, it's often the same.

There's a reason that people relate to the myth of Sisyphus the unfortunate Greek who was condemned to roll a boulder up a mountain for all eternity, only to have it fall back to the bottom each time. Sisyphus is the ultimate expression of our inability to change; of the human chains that bind.

But within this paradigm is another truth. Great moments are made when people leap beyond the expected. Great art comes from seeing the world in a way that it hasn't been seen before. Great political change comes from those who are able to avoid repeating the cycles that have mired us in the past. Great science comes from those who think in a completely different way. We call these people "visionaries", because they have sight that sees into a different human dimension, Another way to say this is that they think "out of the box", implying that the rest of us are sitting inside that box most of the time.

For the past month, I have been writing about transformation and transformation, by its very nature,is the ultimate breaking of the mold. If you want to accomplish change in your life, if you want to eat differently, become a different size, reclaim health, make a permanent u turn on your road, the key is in bold vision. Your default patterns will just return you to a Sisyphysean fate. You will need to harness those forces that defy human predictability. As I've said many times before, this is not an easy task, but it's fun, fascinating and fabulously worthwhile. So dare to be great by breaking old patterns and imagining a life that is utterly different than the one you've endlessly repeated. Set your sights on a divine future because amazing change is possible for each one of us if we only see clearly.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...orm-divine.html