Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 07:50

Plan: CALP
Stats: 146.2/146.2/115 Female 5feet4inches
BF:
Progress:
Default when to have rm?

does anyone have rm for breakfast or lunch instead of dinner? I am most hungry in the morning and not as much in the evening. I know the Heller's say it's ok, just wanted to see if anyone actually did it and still had success. thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 08:10

Plan: Ketogenic Diet Dr Westman
Stats: 267/243.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi doublejay,
When I used the CAD diet I had my RM at lunchtime. I was very successful. In fact I found that I lost more weight with a lunchtime RM than I did when I tried the RM at dinner time. I, like you, am not really hungry at night.

I lost more than 40 pounds on CAD eating my RM at lunchtime and kept it off for over two years.

Yes, I did regain the weight, through no fault of the CAD diet I take total blame. It was because of a number of highly stressful events in my life that I slowly turned back to my poor eating habits and regained the excess weight plus some.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 10:16

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

I enjoyed my RM for my evening meal for the first two years of following this way of eating. Over a year ago, I moved my RM from dinner to lunch and I have found that I prefer to eat my larger meal in the afternoon. I try to make sure to satisfy myself with whatever carbs I chose to include with my lunch, that way my CM in the evening is a simple meal with protein and vegetables. The other benefit of eating my larger meal in the afternoon is that cleaning the kitchen always seems to be easier, and since it never takes me very long, I get to relax sooner.

There have and will be times when I switch my RM from afternoon to evenings. The main thing was for me to get my diet under control, and I have found that this way of eating has helped me to do that.

Follow the guidelines and I am sure you will find what works best for you!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 15:34

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I recall someone on CALP who ate her RM at breakfast time, and called herself the Baroness of Breakfast (I have a yummy recipe from her for a sausage gravy if you want).

I eat my rm for dinner except on Sunday, when we have a RM Brunch..didn't want to give up all breakfasty foods..though we also will have breakfast for dinner rm's

You just have to find what works best for your body and your schedule.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 16:13

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Can someone explain, what is "rm"?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicachyna
Can someone explain, what is "rm"?

Reward Meal - from the Dr Heller's plans - Carbohydrate Addicts (CAD), Carhbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program (CALP).
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 21:56
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/159/130 Female 67ins
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm having mine 4 hours after I wakeup, but on other diets (calorie counting mainly) the idea of the big blowout dinner slayed me every time, so I had to stop doing that anyway and make "supper" (different mental image to "dinner" right there!) a snack and not a full on meal.

By the end of the day we're all tired and have used up most of our willpower, plus there's nothing but bed ahead, I personally & lots of friends etc have found putting a STOP limit on the eating under those circs almost impossible, so for me even if my life was different I could/would never risk having my RM then.

This is truly a YMMV issue but I offer the paragraph above for consideration, perhaps scheduling a daily walk or phone call or something to mark that the eating is OVER (just like most of us have to finish lunch at a set time) would work for anyone struggling with the evening munchies?

Last edited by MrsSnape : Mon, Jan-02-12 at 22:01.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 12:38

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hey!

I too love to eat my RM in the afternoon when I can or as an early dinner.

My CM is a small late breakfast/lunch or preferably at dinner.
But when my family wants to enjoy some "special dinner occasion foods" with me that are carby I move it to dinner.

I tend to feel more tired at night as well and seem to have more serenity to cook earlier during the day, when I can. Love the late brunches on weekends!

Good topic! Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 158/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I've been having mine at dinner time. I haven't been all that hungry for lunch the past few days,and find it's easier to cook a full meal at night. I think I'll be having breakfast for dinner from time to time, since I really like some breakfast foods. Any ideas on how to do a RM with waffles? It seems weird to have salad and waffles.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitgirl
I've been having mine at dinner time. I haven't been all that hungry for lunch the past few days,and find it's easier to cook a full meal at night. I think I'll be having breakfast for dinner from time to time, since I really like some breakfast foods. Any ideas on how to do a RM with waffles? It seems weird to have salad and waffles.

It really depends on your tastes, and I admit mine are a bit strange compared to some folks! I make and adore a particular casserole - either with spinach, broccoli or cauliflower, that uses two kinds of cheese (whole milk ricotta and cheddar usually), a wedge of this, works for me along with whatever I want for a rm breakfast.

That said I'm awful about it and often skip salad and veggie (which I do not recommend) or just have some buttered green beans.

On plan suggestions to have with your waffle- a wedge of my veggie-cheese casserole, having an omelet with mushrooms, scallions and spinach, (or other veggie you like that is cm), a double serving of green beans since you can do that instead of a salad and cm veggie, as part of your rm.
Consider having a homemade cm coleslaw on the side, bacon..I can see those flavors working well together in a meal
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 158/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thanks for the ideas! Veggie omelet or casserole with a waffle and bacon sounds like a good idea. Mmmmmm...waffles!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 09:12

Plan: CA/CAHHP hybrid
Stats: 157/150/140 Female 57 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
I make and adore a particular casserole - either with spinach, broccoli or cauliflower, that uses two kinds of cheese (whole milk ricotta and cheddar usually), a wedge of this, works for me along with whatever I want for a rm breakfast.

You wouldn't be willing to share the recipe for your veggie-cheese casserole, would you?

I'm new here, by the way -- my intro is in the "introduce yourself" thread, but briefly I started CAD/CALP/CAHHP in 2007, lost 17 lbs & kept it off for over 2 years...then simply got lazy around 2010 went off the plan, gradually gaining 12 lbs back. So here I am for a second round and planning to stick with it for life this time, it worked so well and was so easy before!

I really need some breakfast options besides plain bacon & eggs, so I'm hoping you or someone else will share a recipe or two! (I actually usually do just 1 "brunch" CM meal + 1 RM per day, and I get a little tired of plain meat & veggies for CM, so hoping to work in some more "breakfasty" dishes that contain veggies). Thanks in advance
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 10:04

Hi Lori,
I think I have it posted in my journal, but it's quicker for you if I just post it here
1 lb. fresh spinach, sautéed with garlic (if no fresh, I just thaw and drain well a lb. of frozen spinach)
1 lb. ricotta or cottage cheese (I like it best with whole milk ricotta)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. pepper

Mix, put in greased baking dish, bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.

I do variations - using two flavors of cheese -not just cheddar, sometimes using chipotle chile powder

I've also done this with cauliflower or broccoli instead..just cut the cauliflower into tiny florets before you saute it with the garlic.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 15:41

Plan: CA/CAHHP hybrid
Stats: 157/150/140 Female 57 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

^^ THANK YOU, thank you! Sounds delicious. I haven't yet figured out all the journals and other areas of the site, so I appreciate you posting it again here.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 17:48

Plan: Whole30 (Paleo)
Stats: 600/253/225 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thanks for asking Pat for this one Lori! I am def going to make it myself!! And welcome!!