Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-10, 09:53

Plan: Atkins and Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 320/205/195 Male 6 Feet
BF:Haaaa, 10% baby
Progress: 92%
Default Low Carb and High Intensity Training

I was just looking at an article by Muscle and Fitness. The contributor advised that High Intensity Training and Low Carb do not go together. I disagree. As your body begins to adjust to a Low Carb way of living, your body metabolises more efficiently the fats it gathers from your daily intake.
I take in about 6-8 grams of Omega 3 Fatty Acids & Fish oils daily. Good example is Canola or Olive oil. My exercise routine consists of for example, sprinting a 1-1/2 in under 12 minutes and from there do a High and I mean High Intensity Cardio work out for approximately 35-35 minutes. My recovery time is so minimal that Im energized again in about 15 minutes. I can only do that about three times a week because of aches and pains in my knees. The other days I do plyometric and isometric workouts for muscle strength and toning. My body is proof. If someone has similar experience, please let me know. Thanks,

D
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-10, 16:11

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

I did hard-core full contact martial arts. In competition, I was usually the tallest guy in my category (Over 35, 149-pound class) at 5'8 1/2. I typically test out at 7-8% bodyfat.

One thing I always noticed was when everyone else was slamming Red Bulls, bananas and granola bars, I would usually snack on eggs. I never gassed out before an opponent.

Now I typically do a kettlebell workout 3-4 times a week. Resting pulse in the 50s, 1-minute recovery is usually about 55.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-10, 07:12

Hey Cute kid!!

Im getting ready for Special Response Team/Special Weapons and Tactics, SRT/SWAT in October 2010 and I have noticed that I have to be ready for a three week high endurance training. Im finding that, because of my low to no carb diet, I have to supplement my carb with Canola or Olive oil about three times a day which is about 8 table spoons or 8.8 grams. I have noticed an tremendous increase in energy and my body fat % is decreasing. WOW!!! Its true, while every body does the Red Bull or other carb intake I just do my regular protein diet. Keep it up and I will keep you up to date.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 13:09

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlaurentos
Hey Cute kid!!

That's why I got on the whole LC/workout program. I was 35 when she was born. Overweight, no energy, bad blood lipid profile. Decided I didn't want to be one of those parents that sits on the sidelines, sweating in a lawn chair while the kids played - I wanted to be the one chasing the little one around the yard. Also, my father died at age 53 and one of his brothers died at 44, of heart attacks. If I want to see grandkids, gotta salvage what's left now!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 13:28
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 141/141/122 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

How soon after starting a low carb way of eating should one begin working out again? I used to jog and do light weights. When I don't work out, I eat less and gain less. When I used to work out, I would eat like a pig and feel worse than if I didn't work out. I want to be low carb, have the energy to work out, and not need to stuff my face all day afterwards. Any suggestions?? Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 13:47

Plan: Primal/CAD
Stats: 198/185/140 Female 63inches
BF:nunya :)
Progress: 22%

Quote:
How soon after starting a low carb way of eating should one begin working out again? I used to jog and do light weights. When I don't work out, I eat less and gain less. When I used to work out, I would eat like a pig and feel worse than if I didn't work out. I want to be low carb, have the energy to work out, and not need to stuff my face all day afterwards. Any suggestions?? Thanks

rebecca123 what type of plan are you following? it seems these guys are on a pretty specific plan as to the amounts of carbs they allow themselves a day. You have that you are low-carb, some consider under 50g per day low carb - so depending on your plan and what you are allowing your self and how your body feels should dictate how soon and how much. Listen to your body. write down what you eat and what you do at the gym or otherwise and how you are feeling the following day. Supplementing food for hunger after a good days work out is okay as long as you follow your particular plan. If you are low carb and still feel the need for energy try to add in some Fish Oil tablets a little at a time to increase the fat in your diet, keeping your carbs low. Just my 2 cents i hope that helps.
BTW
I do a full body circuit every Saturday I lift heavy and slow.
Then 30 minutes of cardio
then every day to every other day I make it a point to walk at least 30 minutes, jog if I want to, but as long as it's 30 minutes every other day.
You should never have an excuse to pig out, it takes time your body is going through a metabolic shift - it's like sending a text message....it might take some time for the body to receive the message.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 15:27
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Minicc!! My way of eating is trying to stick to meat and salad/spinach. Sometimes I eat blackberries, and apples with peanut butter are my weakness. I breakdown and eat these less and less nowadays. I guess I just need to get to working out and stick with it until my body adjusts!

Does working out and the increased hunger invoke cravings in anyone? Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 19:57

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

It took a LONG time for my body to adapt to VLC, and I've read here of many people having the same slow results over the years. It might have been six months before I realized that I was no longer tanking out at my job (I am a land surveyor, and often carry the 50+ pounds of equipment up these surprisingly steep PA hills). But then some people report getting over the worst of the LC induction "flu" after the 2 weeks Atkins touted. Everyone is different, though, and will not have the same experience. All I know is, no matter what, LC is worth it.

I eat sharp cheddar cheese now as a snack, but I used to do the peanut-butter/nut thing also. I some how lost the nut-cravings a few years back, and rarely even think of them now. I'll have some cravings maybe later in the evening after I've worked out, but even when I indulge with a few ounces of cheese it doesn't seem to cause any weight gain, and I actually LOSE weight as long as I stay VLC. VLC, high-fat will control cravings like you wouldn't believe.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 00:09
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks!! I will start slow and eat high fat so I can keep my eating under control. My son broke his arm last night! I will start working out on Monday or Tuesday for sure! I swear I will!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-10, 19:06

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

Dlaurentos- can you post pics of your self now?
I am doing high cardio now- I am not loosing weight, but there is an obvious change in my body comp. Although I feel like I gained 20lbs this past weekend ( I had a few drinks , a few days) I am giving up the alcohol though- I want to meet my goals.
For me I do Krav Maga M, Tues, and Wed. I do 1- 1hour class of Krav and 1- 1hour class of ko heavybag on monday and tuesday and just 1 hour class on wednesday. for the rest of the week I will either do 15 miles on my bike or run 2-3 miles with hill sprints mixed in there.
I am eating a low carb diet as well-
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 07:35

Hey Rob,

One thing I have noticed about my High Intensity workout is that Im become very vascular. I have veins popping out all over the place. I just received my qualification material for the next SWAT class in October. I have to sprint 1-1/2 mile in under twelve minutes, then do three pull ups with a 25 lbs belt on, fifty sit ups in under 2 minutes, fifty push ups in under 2 minutes all this with no resting. Then we suit up for 50 yard swim and then actively tread water for 15 minutes. I'll get the camara ready to take my pic. Im down to 15% bodyfat. I dont look at my weight scale because its very deceiving. I bought skin fold calipers which would really show what Im losing. Try that instead of weighing yourself. Im between 207-210 lbs but Ive noticed that my body fat has decreased significantly. My abs and serratus muscles are really showing. Try that and see how what works out for your. I measure my fat once a week. Thats what works for me and Im on either a a ZC or VLC. I shock the system once a week by splurging on carbs, usually simple carbs so that it can go through my system fast.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 07:43

Just sprinted 1-1/2 miles in about 10 minutes then ran another 1-1/2 miles just to build up my endurance. Got a little dizzy and light headed when I was done. Need to increase my fat intake for energy. Tonight at the gym I'll be hitting the bag and so forth for about an hour. Next week is the full scale of sprinting, running, then swimming and treading water for 15 minutes. Argggh, thats going to wipe me out. Going to do that at least three times a week to build up my endurance. September 14th is the qualification for SWAT/SRT.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 07:54

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

My work situation changed and I will be working from NJ instead of Maryland, so I had to cancel my Krav Maga Worldwide membership. I will be joining The Israeli Krav Maga school near my house though.
The difference between the two is the worldwide is more like tae boe- (lots of cardio)and the Israeli school is more hard core instruction- so I will have to take my cardio into my own hands.
With the worldwide, we would do sprints- then squats, then push ups then punch the bag with all intensity for a minute or two minutes- I have seen a change in my physique as a result, so I am going to have to figure out a way to do it on my own now.
Good luck with the qualifications!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 19:46

Kewl, remember workout is in the heart. You will do fine my friend... I do a combination of mix martial arts, I do Jeet Kun Do, Wing Chun, Thai, and Kajukenbo... I feel if you do a little bit of everything, you enemy wont know what to expect. Im a cop in Miami, gotta keep my game up. Im doing SWAT in October, wishe me luck
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 16:21

This is soooo funny!!! This happened today.

You know that cops when they are together act like kids, testosterone is the main culprit. Today one of my partners challenged me to a push up contest. HOW JUVENILE!! But it was fun. Hes 31 and im 44. We said establish a rule, fifty push ups in one minute. Well...we started and then we ended because my competition gassed out. My whole squad including my Sergent were cracking up. For every one push up he did, I did about 3. By the time the minute was up, I finished with about 80 pushups. My sergeant to conclude sent me to my room for time out. LMAO when we sat during lunch and talked how infantile it was, but IT FEEL GOOD TO BEAT SOMEBODY YOUNGER THAN ME.