Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 21:33

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%

[QUOTThen you
Now think of a sprinter or track star...

They're lean right? Very lean! Yet they don't do aerobic training at all.

They train fast. They train intensely. They incorporate strength work.

Their sessions are short.

Actually, their sessions are very, very long. I've participated in track and field my whole life and never is a session short. Distance runners are much leaner than sprinters anyway. Distance runners have long workouts. Sprinters have shorter intervals, and they're more buff. The amount of calories burned in a workout is much more than the calories "retained" by the amount of cortisol released. I'd like to see a picture of this guy who wrote the article, or see his own experiences with running, if any.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 06:54

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundi83
you do use glycogen and you body can get its glucose to replenish glycogen stores from protein that is converted to glucose.

I'm not so sure about this, but if it is true, then eating carbs to replenish glycogen stores would be unnecessary.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 07:00

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemde
Some cardio work is good, but I agree that hours of it just doesn't make a lot of sense, especially for those closer to goal weight. For the more obese, though, cardio may be the right way to go until they've gotten down to a reasonable, or target amount, of lean mass they'll want to retain at goal.

Excellent post. I've been mainly lifting, but since I spend so much time sitting in front of a computer between work and home I find I need to do cardio just to keep things revved up. However I only do about five minutes of warm-up cardio on the days I lift--I've learned the hard way that hard cardio and weights do not mix.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 07:01
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
I'm not so sure about this, but if it is true, then eating carbs to replenish glycogen stores would be unnecessary.

It's true. Please see this post.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...06&postcount=13
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 07:25

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane

Apparently it is true, but the amount of glycogen that can be synthsized in this manner is insignificant.
Quote:
Summary
In the absence of dietary carbohydrates, the amount of glycogen resynthesis following weight training is insignificant and will not sustain high intensity performance for very long. This further stresses the importance of carbohydrate intake for individuals on a ketogenic diet wishing to perform weight or interval training.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 07:59

Plan: UD 2.0
Stats: 250/200/200 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563

Incorrect. Just because gluconeogenesis can create carbs does not mean it is an ideal way to repelensish glycogen. Athletes do much better supplying the carbs for glygogen from carb sources.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 11:47

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

I guess I'll jump in on this. You can lose weight and reduce your body fat % from weight lifting only if you choose. I've done it mainly because I think that the traditional forms of cardio, 30-45 minutes on a treadmill/elliptical machine, are a waste of my time. Check out this article on the tabata protocol if you want cardio that'll give you more bang for your buck. I don't care what size you are either because you can do this on a simple exercise bike.

Also, if you haven't done so already, I suggest that folks read Pavel's Power to the People, which discusses a lot of what's been said here already. Just overlook his comrade shtick and that KBs are the best thing since sliced bread.

And, one of, if not the most important thing, that's not really being discussed here are calories! I don't care how much you lift or how heavy or how often, if you're not eating above your body's caloric requirement you ain't gonna get buff or build mass. Leo Costa's book Big Beyond Belief explains this is a simple and straightforward way for folks who are looking to bulk up. Also, the opposite is true when you're losing weight. (Abs are made in the kitchen!)

Personally, I'm not interested in the sport of body building, so I could care less about bulky muscles and am striving for a lean look with hard, dense, muscles. And I can build this without stepping on anyone's god awful treadmill or elliptical machine again in my life. However, my cardiovascular fitness will not be that of a boxer or someone that does a lot of cardio. I'm OK with that, so it's all about your goals even though this may change since I'm getting interested in MMA. When you get the chance, read what Arthur Saxon says about cardio in his book The Development of Physical Power which was written in 1906! Full text here. Let's just say that you wouldn't see him jogging or going for long runs . . .
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 16:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Nefertiti, I got your PM, and you seem upset. I posted a picture that you have in your public profile, there is nothing manly about it. I certainly didn't mean to offend you, but since it seems I did, let me apologize publicly. It was actually an attempt at a compliment. I'm sure you look nothing like a man.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 20:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/118/105 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Nefertiti, I got your PM, and you seem upset. I posted a picture that you have in your public profile, there is nothing manly about it. I certainly didn't mean to offend you, but since it seems I did, let me apologize publicly. It was actually an attempt at a compliment. I'm sure you look nothing like a man.

NO, I was not upset, it was a crazy way for me to say I want to have a beautiful body. Now, it my turn to apologize for sounding so harsh. By the way, the picture your are referring in the public profile it is not me, I wish! A posted that picture for fun. Since I did not know how the forum site works ( my first time in one of them) I though the picture you were referring it was the one you have with your name. I thought it was a joke too. What a mess. My apologies again.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 05:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
NO, I was not upset, it was a crazy way for me to say I want to have a beautiful body. Now, it my turn to apologize for sounding so harsh.
Oh good. No harm done then.

Quote:
By the way, the picture your are referring in the public profile it is not me, I wish!
Oh well I'm sure you are equally as lovely as the woman in that picture.
Quote:
A posted that picture for fun. Since I did not know how the forum site works ( my first time in one of them)
Welcome. I hope you enjoy this forum and are able to benefit from it.
Quote:

I though the picture you were referring it was the one you have with your name. I thought it was a joke too. What a mess. My apologies again.
Ah, I see. No, I knew that picture beside my name wasn't you. I'm glad we got it all straightened out.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%

Muata, I came across references to Pavel in Marty Gallagher's column when it ran in the Washington Post. He (marty) now has a website in which he talks about developing muscle. I'm a big fan!
I loved strength training and want to get back into it when I lose some more pounds. Unfortunately, I felt like a million bucks when I was doing it (twice a week in a class for 4 years) but I never really lost any weight. I did, however, fit into clothes that were a size or two smaller and I looked great in them.
There was a wonderful article in the Guardian a couple of years ago about the fact of losing weight: calories in - calories out = weight loss. The article started by telling the story of a man trekking into Antarctica with his sled dogs, walking in the snow and eating 2500 calories a day. He lost weight steadily. He upped his calorie intake to over 3000 calories a day. He lost weight steadily. The guy couldn't stop losing weight because he couldn't stop walking! Note: I don't have any trips to Antarctica planned soon.
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-07, 14:27

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
Muata, I came across references to Pavel in Marty Gallagher's column when it ran in the Washington Post. He (marty) now has a website in which he talks about developing muscle. I'm a big fan!
I loved strength training and want to get back into it when I lose some more pounds. Unfortunately, I felt like a million bucks when I was doing it (twice a week in a class for 4 years) but I never really lost any weight. I did, however, fit into clothes that were a size or two smaller and I looked great in them.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to look for his website. Also, you don't need to lose weight to get back into strength training first my friend. There's no time like the present!