Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 23:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 307/284/140 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:47%/?/20
Progress: 14%
Default Sweat and Teeth

Has anyone else noticed these Lovely side-effects?..........

1. My teeth have No Plaque whatsoever (though I never had "excess" to begin with). Obviously, this is caused by the emilinating sugary foods.

2. I sweat FAR less. This can not be explained by the few pounds that I have lost........there must be some other explanation, but I have no idea what it could be.

Have any of the rest of you noticed these things?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 06:11

Plan: modified me
Stats: 274/258/199 Female 64
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 21%

I have noticed that I sweat less but then again I am not as hot all the time. Might be because I am drinking cold water all the time. I hadn't noticed about the teeth but now that you mentioned it I find that to be true as well. I will look forward to hearing what others say.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 07:29
Contributing Member

Stats: 259/190/135 Female 5'5
BF:OMG Too Much
Progress: 56%

I will agree with the teeth thing. Never noticed until you mentioned it. As for the sweat, I don't do it unless i am doing something REALLY strenuous.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 08:57

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

yes & yes... and i dont burp hardly at all anymore lol
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 17:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I still have heat problems-when everyone else is cold I'm sweating. Especially after eating.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 18:09

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Ditto on the teeth thing. As far as the heat goes, my AC has been broken for over two weeks (here in the heart of Texas) so sweat is definitely not my friend
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 21:20

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Ditto to the plaque. But it's not just the sugar. It's the grains and highly processed foods, too--really anything that breaks down to glucose quickly (high glycemic index). Bacteria normally inhabit the mouth and digestive system. Plaque is formed when colonies of them accumulate on the teeth. It is a glycoprotein that binds the colonies to the teeth and glucose is the "glyco" part of that glycoprotein. This process doesn't only occur when you place food, like sugar, in the mouth, as we've been told throughout our lives. It's when you injest foods that break down into glucose quickly, such as sugar and grains, that glucose not only flows through your blood, but ends up in your saliva. This is why you used to wake up in the morning with plaque on your teeth, even though you didn't eat anything all night.

I am a dentist and have eliminated all sugar and grains since January. Interestingly, I never paid much attention to my own plaque until attending a course recently on Periodontics, the treatment of gums and bone. The lecturer, an educator and practicing periodontist, discussed plaque as though it were an inevitable part of being alive. During lunch it occurred to me to check my teeth in the bathroom--not one speck of plaque. This speaker had no idea that his entire sub-specialty, and even general dentistry could be obsolete if people were to change their eating habits. I can tell you, however, that dentistry is booming, people's teeth are rotting out of their mouths at an alarming rate, and that's because giving up sugar and grains and processed foods are probably the hardest thing to do and few are willing to make the sacrifice.

As to the sweating, yes I still sweat a lot, and I've done so throughout my adult life, whether thin or obese. My wife doesn't perspire much, but there isn't necessarily a correlation between sweating and whether one feels hot or cold. My wife is always hot, like me, and prefers a cold environment. In the winter we keep our house at 60 degrees F. My observations have been that consuming more animal food leads to a warmer feeling. People I see consuming excessive amounts of sugar, or smoking, tend to be "freezing" all the time.

Last edited by TwilightZ : Tue, Jul-13-04 at 21:29.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 08:24

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Teeth = Yes,

Sweating... well, I notice that I actually sweat/get really hot while I'm asleep at night. Even if I'm only covered with a top sheet...actually my DH noticed it....hopefully I'm burning up some fat!!