Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 14:57

Plan: MY OWN
Stats: 16.12/16.02/13
BF:
Progress:
Cool Newbie

Hello every one

I have been low carbing since 18 of jan and have lost 15 pounds but it seems to be slowing down now. I don't want to have to buy lots of books etc.. I have ketostix and get a reading of 0.5 trace(is this good).
Do I need to boost my protein in take with a shake or similar??
How long should I lc for?
What amount of carbs should I in take in a day?

Any help or advice gratefully received

Lee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 20:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I don't want to have to buy lots of books etc..

Buying a book - and that's just one book - is an investment in your health and well-being. Either the new edition of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution or Protein Power will do. No one here advocates making up your own plan without the immensely beneficial information you'll receive by reading and researching.
Quote:
How long should I lc for?

Until you want to gain weight. I'm not being snarky, I'm being serious. To be successful with LC, you have to be willing to commit to it for life.

This forum is full of stories from people who used LC as a diet. They've returned larger, wiser and ready to make a real commitment.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 06:17

BF:
Progress:
Wink

So if you have read the book you could answer my questions and I would not have to read a book lol

Lee
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 11:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yep! But I don't do other peoples homework for them. That would be cheating.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 12:11

BF:
Progress:
Red face

well thanks for all your help, so gald I asked . What is it about lc ing that every body wants you to buy a book.

LEE
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:48

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi, BIGLEE,

Another option getting an LC book from a library.

I started doing Atkins diet before having finished reading his book, so I didn't take any supplements or vitamins which are vital on this diet especially during Induction. As a result I felt very tired and developed some form of rush due to the micronutrient defficiency. Besides, there will be times when your cravings take over you, at such times you need a sound knowledge and confidence in your new way of eating.

The whole idea of LCing is to totally change your eating habits, so you will adopt a new way of eating for the rest of your life. Why am I ranting about here anyway, you are probably already reading the book on some LC plan at this very moment

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 18:34

BF:
Progress:
Question

I have not read any books. Also I have not been taking any vitiams what ones should I be taking?? I drink about 2.5 litres of miteral water a day also tried a protein shake but tasted horrible. I have been doing excercise every time I get a craving for sweets/crisps . I have felt no ill effects and feel great having lost a stone, but do not want to make myself ill !!

Any advise greatfully received

Lee
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 05:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hey Lee,

well I cant give you much advice but guess what it seems like we started LCing on the same day, 18th of Jan 2002! Well I thinks its great and I kinda feel as though we're on the same boat.

I would agree with everyone and advice you to buy a book. You do need to get the essential vitamins and minerals. Let me give you an example, soon after starting on Atkins I realised my legs were hurting very badly everytime I climb up only one flight of stairs. I am not a very active person but I do go running from time to time and this was just bad. I found out it was due to lack of Potassium and as soon as I started taking K+ supplements I back on te track, hi ha!

well, I think its getting a bit toooo long, so I'll pen-off here, ciao.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 05:52

BF:
Progress:

Ok it seems I will have to get a book what ones do people recommend-plain and simple advise not one just trying to sell loads of their own products. Also I have ketostix they are showing on the scale as 0.5 trace is this good?

Lee
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:30
Registered Member

Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi again Lee,

ketosis is ketosis, whether its trace or the largest. If you're in keto you're in keto. Test it in the evening, half an hour after meal and it will most probably be darker. If you drink a lot of water(something you HAVE TO DO) it will be light and all the other symptoms of ketosis ie, smelly breat and sweat, urine will be less aswell. So, dont worry mate, enjoy being in KETOSIS...

Sheila
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:54

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Welcome Shiela, Lee and Any other Newbies

Hi there.

Lee, it is useful to have a book to leaf through. Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution has sooo much useful information/ explanation /recipies etc that it is well worth having.

Alternatively if you enjoy being online just read up on LC sites. There is a lot of information - I would recommend the orange bar at the top - work your way through that.

I have an audio cassette version. I found that very useful to listen to and keep reminding myself of necessary points. You could even make little Reminder Cards for yourself and stick them in your Recipe box.

As Karen says LC is a way of life - a way of eating for life not just a few weeks or months.

Anyway I wish you both success in your endeavours.
Take Care.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 15:57

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Smile Buy a book - help stamp out television!

Hi Lee,
I read Atkins before I started this wol. I have found it so beneficial that I'm curious to know everything I can about it and how and why it works.
There's also so much info on the net - just follow all the links people post, search on"low carb" and so on. Really, this is a case of Knowledge is Power, and things you learn or work out for yourself stick much better than just stuff people tell you.
Whatever, good luck!
Zan
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 01:38

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Luv your title!

"Buy a book - stamp out TV" ROFL Simple solution to one of my major problems.

Often when I buy a book it just sits on the shelf waiting patiently to be read. I am more an audio person - need to hear it. Sometimes I think I read more in a bookshop whilst browsing than once I decide to buy it and bring it home!!!

But seriously Zan I like the sound of that - next time I am feeling lethargic and glued to the TV I'll think of you: Go buy a book. TV

Take care.