Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 10:43

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Smile The X Factor

Firstly, I would like to thank Andy for his introduction of me on the Radio Coverage thread. Unfortunately, I can't find an emoticon for blushing, but thank you for such an intro!

I don't know if any of you have come across the X Factor yet? But I have started to read it and thoroughly recommend it.

Leslie Kenton was once editor of Harpers & Queen, and has written many 'diet' books on such things as raw food (i.e., vegetables and fruit) and power juicing. She is also very big on anti-aging. I was intrigued when I discovered that she had written a low carb book, it seemed such a turnaround for her. So, I bought the book to find out how that had come about.

Although she doesn't explain what changed her to this woe, she has certainly researched it fully. The book is a mine of information, yet straightforward and simple to grasp (I know that some people are put off of Atkins because of his scientific approach and feel it is far too complicated for them to follow).

Lesley explains fully about Syndrome X - insulin resistance syndrome - and also how everyone is affected by this, not just those who are overweight. She fully explains how we have been genetically programmed by our paleolithic ancestors for this woe, and how we can achieve not only weight loss but a much healthier mind and body.

The book contains two diets - Ketogenics (for those women who have more than 35% fat/ men 22%, anyone who has been unable to lose weight , if you are a borderline Type II diabetic, or you need to kickstart your system) which is based on a maximum of 20% of calories from carbohydrates (mainly vegetables rich in phyto-nutrients), 30% fat and 50% protein. The second diet is Insulin Balance (for women with less than 35% body fat/22% men, you are generally healthy and want to avoid the development of insulin resistance, you want to live longer and look better, and want to protect yourself from degenerative disease and hormonal inbalances) which is based on 35% carbs, 35% protein and 30% 'good' fats.

She advocates totally fresh, organic and unprocessed foods. In her book, all processed foods are a no-no.

Although I haven't read it, it does all sound very similar to what I've heard about the Zone Diet - though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. And I have to admit that I'm not keen on her dismissiveness of cheese and cream - although I don't eat a lot of it, I'd be loathe to give it up.

For now, I am happy to carry on with Atkins, but may think about switching to the Insulin Balance woe as and when I reach my target.

However, I definitely recommend anyone to read it. As I've said before, she explains everything clearly and concisely, she has an extensive trouble shooting chapter, an idot's guide and some fabulous recipes - which if you're from the UK is wonderful, because all the ingredients are available to us (and we don't have to convert all those cups!).

The main reason I am excited about it though, is the fact that her book is already becoming a best seller and is spreading awareness of low carbing around the country. Because she is a 'recognised' UK 'diet' expert, people are beginning to sit up and take notice. And, even if you are not an advocate of her particular version of low carbing, that can only be a good thing.

Demi
Sponsored Links