Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-05, 06:55

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 177/164/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Can anyone help me find a candida doctor?

I am having a very difficult time finding a doctor that treats candida. I saw a chiropractor for it and was ecstatic that someone FINALLY was speaking my language. We were all set to have tests done when the office called me to tell me the only lab my insurance company will cover doesn't have the test. My insurance administrator here at the office suggested going to an actual M.D., so I've been searching. I live in rural IL, mid-way between St. Louis and Springfield, IL. I work in downtown St. Louis. I am very close to the infamous Madison County, IL (where they grant huge personal injury awards = doctors leaving the county in droves). I've been calling doctors' offices and have heard things like, "well, we can make an appointment, but we don't know if we can help you." "You have what? Would you spell that?" Internal medicine offices recommend calling GI docs and GI docs recommended calling internal medicine docs. I also was referred to a Dr. Varsha Rathod, MD, but this doctor requires you pay the $270 1 hour consultation fee out of pocket and file the insurance claim yourself. I was so shocked as I can't afford that, that I didn't even ask about tests. Does anyone that lives in this area know of a doctor they're happy with that treats Candida?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-05, 09:40

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I can't help you find a dr. but here's what I've learned. My insurance allowed me to choose an ND for my primary care dr.-great!-only thing is, the allergy test I had to pay for out of pocket. The main thing she helped me with was supplying a good anti fungal mix to get started and telling me to find a candida plan and stick to it. I also went thru a liver cleanse regimen and paid for that out of pocket. I think what's helped me the most I've found by reading the info on candida in this forum and following up with links that are posted. There's dozens of sites on the internet with info, and it's up to you to find out which things work or not for you.
Just about everybody says the same thing: there's no short cuts and no 'getting over it forever and back to eating normal.' It's a 3 prong approach. Take antifungals, probiotics, and don't feed the yeast. I'm also going to get a product with cellulase that kills the new yeast (before it morphs). It's Candex, and there's another brand, but this one I can get locally. The one thing that needs to be continued indefinitely is to eat so as not to feed the yeast and also avoiding food you're personally allergic to. Altho, I've heard that allergies will sometimes go away when you've healed.
There is a lot to be learned, and one plan does not fit all. Hope you find one that helps you.-Gail