Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 21:10
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Could be... and the kid has to have somewhere to SIT while Mom is outrunning the bandersnatch too. "Good birthin' hips" make just the right kid-holder.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 22:57
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
A woman's center is much lower, at the hips. Piling the weight there adds ballast, making us a little more sturdy, especially if trying to out run a bandersnatch while carrying a small child.
I think it's pregnancy, too. A big belly is balanced by extra weight in thighs and hips. A prime directive of evolution = protect the next generation.

I had to look up your fabulous word, Bat Spit:
Quote:
Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary has two definitions for bandersnatch: (1) 'an imaginary wild animal of fierce disposition', the beast featured in the source poem (see below), and the metaphorical extension: (2) 'a person of uncouth or unconventional habits, attitudes, etc., esp. one considered a menace, nuisance, or the like'.
Learn something new everyday!
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 23:31

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

as soon as i started gaining, it was all belly and i'm a woman. looks really weird to have this skinny butt and stick legs with a big old belly like mine lol. it took a good deal of weight to start putting on back fat and butt fat.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 08:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Starvation causes changes to the endocrine system, like the thyroid, that sound EXACTLY like the symptoms you've described yourself as having. However, after the starvation is over, the symptoms should go away. If you're still having those symptoms, there's something wrong with your health. My guess would be thyroid. You might not be producing an optimal amount, you might have Hashimoto's, you might not be converting T4 -> T3 well (very common) or you might have some other issue entirely.

But I've lost 70-ish pounds in the past and, other than not really fixing my underlying eating habits, I felt just fine.

You really owe it to yourself and your loved ones to look into that. There's no reason you can't be thin and healthy! Granted, we'll never be able to eat the same way as skinny people, but that's a different issue.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 13:04
Me and My DH

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/235/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 41%

Right now, there is no way in the world I could ever outrun a bandersnatch.....(staring mournfully at my over abundant hip/thigh area)....and I don't even know any "skinny hunters." This is not looking good......
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 13:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Woo,

Quote:
There does not appear to be another cause (TSH levels are fine for example).

If you're taking your doctor's word on this, you might be mislead. There is such a thing as sub-clinical hypothyroidism and it is generally undiagnosed. You really need to look at 3 different tests:

TSH -- The range has recently been lowered to 3, but even I felt horrible at a TSH of 2.

FT3 -- The amount of Free T3 (not to be confused with T3, which is total T3. Your body can't utilize T3, its been bound to a protein, it can only use Free T3 (FT3)). There does seem to be a correlation between extremely low carb diets and poor FT3 conversion.

FT4 -- The amount of Free T4. This is used directly by some tissues but mostly gets converted to T3 by losing an iodine molecule, which is done in the liver.

My hypothyroidism was undiagnosed for many years until I read up on the newer tests. Doctors are doing an utterly abysmal job of diagnosing it. Basically unless you have a rare doctor, probably one who is also hypothyroid, you've got to go get the health tests done yourself.

And just because you're "in range" doesn't mean that's an optimal level for you. Women generally feel better in the upper 3rd of the FT3/FT4 ranges. Really good doctors ask you about your symptoms in addition to looking at your blood test results.

thyroid.about.com (pretty good site)
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 15:22
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%
Default adiposity 101

Woo-
there are many people on this site who care about you, and have followed your many long posts on many issues. What really sticks in my mind about this current thread are:
1. You are only eating 1700 calories/day- and that appears to be inadequate for your body based on
2. Your symptoms- yes they are symptoms- of starvation.

If your "goal weight" was "arbitrary", maybe it's time to base your weight goal on feeling good. When is the last time you actually felt good, healthy, well? This is not an issue of control- you have proved to yourself you can control your body (as you have posted in other threads about attitude and weight loss)- but a quality of life issue. I think Lynda (UTH) really cares about you and wrote you a post from the heart- and she has the numbers and experience to back it up! Please think about it-
E

Last edited by Enomarb : Tue, Jun-07-05 at 05:24. Reason: spelling