Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 07:49

Plan: CAD
Stats: 272/267/150
BF:
Progress:
Default New gluco shake

I'm writing today to anyone who will listen. I started the CAD program in February and lost 17lbs. Since then, I fell off the wagon and can't seem to bring myslef to get started on the low carbing or even taking my Glucophage (PCOS). It's as if I'm self distructive. Why can't I get back on the program. I noticed such a big difference in my daily activities. My depression was gone, I was more active, less hungry and overall happier. Now...I'm back to being hungry all the time, I count the minutes until I can eat again, I have to have a dessert every night and the energy is gone which causes me to be depressed.

Has anyone ever experienced these same types of feelings?

I saw a new commercial for one of those diet shakes...it supposed to be very low carb and good for diabetics. Although I don't have diabetes, I was wondering if it would be good for carb addicts. I looked at the label and it seemed to have a lot of carbs to me. How can you tell if you are having too many carbs. Is there a certain number I need to be staying under??

PLEASE!!! Anyone.....give me some advice, support...anything. I know I need to get back on the low carb diet, but it's like I fighting the devil or something. I can't explain it.

Tara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 09:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

The shake that I'm aware of for diabetics is very high in carbs -- 8 ounces or so of fluid with that high of a carb count wouldn't go that far for long.

I think you would do much better eating meals -- just take it one meal at a time, make good choices, eat enough calories and fat and drink plenty of water.

It may help to plan some meals ahead and have some snacks ready that you can have -- if I understand CAD you get a reward meal, I've heard in some that it can set off cravings -- so be careful there.

If you feel you must have dessert make choices such as low carb fruits with some whipped cream on it -- strawberries or blueberries, or try some apple with peanut butter or cheese. A lot of times the foods we crave the most are our trigger foods, the ones that set off cravings.

The better prepared you are with foods on hands the easier you will find to stick with it. Also, check in here with us often so we can encourage you.

Just take a deep breath and start fresh and new -- do this for you because you are worth it -- if you stumble, just learn from that experience and get up, dust yourself off and start again.

Let us know how you are doing.

Take care, Debi
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 10:15

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Talking hang in there

I started LC in 2001. I don't think I was fully commited to making permanant changes in my life and I set myself up to fail. I was just like you, I felt great, lost weight, wasn't hungry, and felt happier...and then I fell of the wagon.

This time around I was ready. Just like Debi said, prepare ahead of time. That was huge for me. Plan your meals in advance when you can.

At this point I feel like I have made life long changes. I no longer think about the things I "shouldn't" eat. I just don't want them anymore. Food is no longer the focus of my life. I am however, very in tune to how different foods make me feel. I have learned what causes cravings in me. You will learn that about yourself too.

I have read everything I can get my hands on. I love this web site, folks here are very informed and helpful. I also have talked the ears off my husband about WHY and HOW living low carb works. I now get the support from my family because this time they understand it.

If you haven't already, I would suggest you read the CALP book and Atkins. They are both very good.

Keep a journal, track everything, your food, weight, stress, emotions, measurements, and what clothing size you are wearing if it interests you. Months down the road you will enjoy looking back in your journal and seeing how far you have come.(My journal is a 4"x5" fat little notebook that fits in my purse)

I lose weight more slowly now on CALP. That's okay because I am patient. One to two pounds a week. That is what we should aim for. Sometimes one pound in a week doesn't seem like much, but you have time to do this. Don't forget that. It's not a diet, its your life.

I think I wrote a novel......
Libby

Last edited by Libbyfcr : Wed, Apr-10-02 at 10:21.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 10:35

Plan: CAD
Stats: 272/267/150
BF:
Progress:
Default gluca shakes

Thank you very much. I think it's time for me to really make this a life long change. I know in my heart this will help me. I just need to do it. I think another part of me is just so afraid of it not working, just like the other thousands of diets I've tried. I know this isn't a diet and that's what I need to keep telling myself.

I did go to the store and bought sausage. I have a very hard time with low carb breakfast and lunch. I have to be at work at 7am and find it too expensive to eat out everyday (which makes it easier to low carb). I would like to plan ahead but I get sick of salads and chicken all the time. I don't like seafood and trying to eat meat everyday at lunch gets old...I sound so selfish don't I. What's more important to me right? Does anyone have any suggestions about breakfast and lunch? I can do the reward meal easy!!! hahahaha
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 10:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

breakfast can be anything you want it to be -- chicken, pork chop, steak -- you don't have to limit yourself to just eggs.

A lot of people like hard boiled eggs when they get tired of fried or scrambled eggs.

A lot of times I take leftovers for breakfast -- I get some weird looks as I'm eating a chicken thigh, but I think it is yummy.

Sometimes I eat breakfast at dinner time. Watch your sausages for added carbs and sugars and things and the sodium content is sometimes high --

Just keep it up -- you'll do fine.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 11:15

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default low carb breakfast

Yesterday I had grilled salmon with lemon pepper and fresh steamed green beans with butter for breakfast.

Can't beat that!

Libby
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 16:38

Plan: CKD
Stats: 22530/17216/20010
BF:
Progress: 153%
Default low carb shakes MRPs

I really enjoy and swear by "body building style" protein shakes and meal replacements for a low carb diet. Myoplex makes and allready mixed low carb shake with around 4-6 carbs and tastes very good. Universal Nutrition makes a few no/lo carb mixes and Biotest has a zero carb mix which is my fave in the taste dept. GNC is good if you use their discount card and get sale items otherwise try Netrition.com for the best products and prices. They seem expensive but they last a while and are cheaper than a whole meal. I've never used Atkins or any of the other "low carb lifestyle" shakes, I just don't trust them or their bars. Also, it's always a good idea to stay away from soy protein.

I find shakes to be a fast and easy way to stay on my low carb diet because I'm busy and I really don't get too hungry and usually have to force myself to eat.