Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Low-Glycemic Index Foods Help Control Diabetes"

Low-Glycemic Index Foods Help Control Diabetes

Thu August 7, 2003 04:56 PM ET

link to article

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People with diabetes are advised to watch the amount of carbohydrates in their diet, but that may not be enough. The so-called glycemic index of food can also have a big impact on blood sugar levels.

Past research has shown that the effect on blood glucose levels of different foods with the same carbohydrate content can vary by as much as five-fold. This has led to foods being assigned a glycemic index. The glycemic index multiplied by the amount of carbs indicates the glycemic load of a particular food.

"The use of diets with low glycemic index in the management of diabetes is controversial, with contrasting recommendations around the world," Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller, of the University of Sydney, Australia, and associates note in the medical journal Diabetes Care.

To investigate further, they pooled the results of 14 clinical studies comparing the effects of diets with low versus high glycemic indexes on overall glycemic control in diabetic patients. Assessment of glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) levels indicated the degree of control over a period of time.

The researchers report that "low-glycemic index diets reduced HbA1c by 0.43 percentage points over and above that produced by high-glycemic index diets."

They conclude that their analysis "provides objective evidence that targeting postprandial hyperglycemia via choice of low-glycemic index foods has a small but clinically useful effect on medium-term glycemic control in diabetics."

Nutrition and lifestyle approaches to diabetes prevention and treatment, they recommend, "should be given as much attention as drug therapies."

SOURCE: Diabetes Care, August 2003.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:09

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Is that less than 1/2 of 1 percent?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

The way it is written, I assume so.

I wondered about that, too - I checked a couple different sources of the article just to be sure. In order for that to be statistically significant, one would have to have a gigantic number of test subjects.

I assume it might be a misprint, a combo of "0.43" and "43%", but this is just a guess.

I am watching for a correction/clarification.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:57

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

I too, wonder why these studies don't show the dramatic results that people here, or on Dr. Bernstein's forum report. I think it's because they can never bring themselves to do a truly lowcarb test - like this one, if you read it the way I do, there were lots of carbs in both, just higher glycemic in one. With Dr Bernstein, you not only limit the carbs, you totally avoid the high GI ones. I'm sure that if they studied that, they would find huge decreases in Hc1a, fasting bg, pp bg, would have to decrease medication, etc. Why don't they do this? Haven't a clue. Bill