Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 10:22

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 273/-/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question Trying to Kick the Habit...Need Help!!!

Well, my doctor told me I have to quit before I have surgery on the 22nd of the month. So today is day one of trying to quit and I am having a very hard time.

So far I have had 1.25 cigarettes. Normally by this time of the day I would have smoked at least 8 cigarettes, so I guess I am doing ok.

Need some advice on how to stop completely without picking up another habit in its place. Right now I am trying to drink water when I get the urge to smoke. It is not working too well. Any ideas.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 14:15

Plan: low carb/healthy eating
Stats: 198/172/140 Female 5'2"
BF:A Lady never tells
Progress: 45%
Default Stay Strong!

CoCo,
Hello there and CONGRATULATIONS on giving up smoking. My Dad was a smoker for many years, but has been a non-smoker for much longer. I have a friend at work who is also giving up smoking, and she told me about going onto the internet and typing in "quit smoking tips", as she was also finding herself at a loss when she wanted a quick smoke.

If you care to do a quick web search, you'll find sites like:
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit/canquit.htm

Good Luck, and hope your surgery goes well.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 19:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 173/166/150 Female 5ft 9.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default good website

try out www.quitnet.com. I have found it very helpful in my quitting.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 20:01

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

CONGRATULATIONSON quitting! that is SO great! i was a smoker until recently and it was very difficult for me, and I have seen 1sthand what a lifetime of it does to a person. So I am so happy for you! my husband is trying to quit using the patch, maybe you would have some luck with that? He has been smoke free for 2 weeks now, and only "slightly" nasty. I wish you the best of luck!
becky
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 07:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/160/135 Female 5'5''
BF:?
Progress: 77%

Hi and good luck!!
Quitting smoking will probably be the hardest thing you ever do--it was for me!
I used the patch, chewed gum (about 3 packs a day), drank water and chewed on cinamon sticks.
My mother took Wellbutrin, had cinamon candies and ate twizlers.
Best of luck to you and two months from now when you are over the bitchiness you will shock yourself that you actually did it!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 07:18
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

quitnet.com was my rock when I quit smoking May21st last year. They have a chatroom I used daily .. Itreally helped having others to chat with right when I was having a nic fit.. Best of luck to you.

Angel
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 07:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/173/100 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I was a chain smoker for 7 years, I went through 2 sometimes 2 1/2 packs a day, Im also asthmatic, have been all my life, I tried to quit smoking more than 18 times and nothing worked, no patches, no gum, no not lighting the cigs, finally god steped in and took it out of my hands, I got so sick from smoking that I could not breath if I went even close to a cigarrete, so I would use my inhaler and then smoke, and then feal pretty rotten. Finally it got to the point were I had to realize those things WERE going to kill me, and it would have been a pretty sad way to go. So I had no choice I had to quit cold turkey, I stoped hanging out with my friends that smoked , when I got those really bad cravings, I would go to a secluted space and try to figure out what triggered the craving, at the end I found out I would smoke whenever I felt emotionally uncomfortable, at social events, at airports, when something stressfull happened in my life, I would get the urge. I also learned that after I had the cigarretes , my problems were still there and plus I had just contaminated my body.
Today I have been a non smoking person for 2 years, the first 6 months are really hard but you wont die from denying yourself nicotine. And after that period you will be uncommfortable around other smokers because the smell will not be apealing anymore.

You ARE stronger than the habbit and you can beat it, take 1 day at a time.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 08:06

BF:
Smile Thanks

Everyone,

I would like to thank you for all your support.

I have to admit that it is not going as well as I would like. I have gone from smoking just over a pack a day to 3-4 cigs a day. I am having a hard time getting to less than that. But I will keep trying.

I find that when I do have one, I wonder why did I do it, because it tastes so horrible. I will have to work on remembering that taste, maybe then I won't want to have one.

I will continue to take this one moment at a time.

Toni
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 07:12
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

We are here for you Coco, I know I am.. Visit my journal anytime for chat or just support. I know how hard it is and strength does come in numbers. Take care and stay strong.

Angel
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 07:37

BF:
Smile

Angel,

Thanks. I will have to come and visit your journal.

Yesterday wasn't a good day for me. I had 5 cigs the whole day, and didn't feel too good about myself at the end of the day.

I hope today will be a better day.

Toni
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 10:26

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

hi toni! 5 cigarettes is alot less than what you were doing. so its the right direction! don't get discouraged, you should be proud of yourself because it is a very difficult thing that you are doing right now, but you will be so happy when this is a thing of the past. You will get through it and we will be here to help!I look forward to chatting with you some more!keep up the good work!!!
becky