Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Meat Causes Climate Change

Studies Show Link Between Red Meat and Climate Change (seriously)
Eating an egg, cheese and bacon sandwich is the equivalent of driving 12 miles on your carbon footprint.

The articles dull as dirt, here's the link:
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/...te-change-20264

I left out the worst their proposing a tax on meat.

Last edited by nawchem : Thu, Jan-25-18 at 22:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 01:20

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

The entire premise is based purely on association. Cause cannot be established, therefore any suggested solution cannot be expected to produce intended result. On the other hand, Allan Savory's experiments shows we can both produce more meat and more veggies for the same land use, and restore otherwise barren land.

On the third hand, we got data on the association between solar activity, cosmic rays, cloud cover and climate changes. It's currently controversial, there's still a debate going on about both whether it's real and if it is real its contribution to climate changes. The article appears to take the view that it isn't real, since there's no mention of it anywhere. It would likely weaken their case against meat. I mean, hey you gotta eat less meat, but we're not sure cuz of cosmic rays and stuff. The point here is that they cannot say anything for certain about meat and climate changes in the context of the current debate about cosmic rays. The two hypotheses are part of a larger hypothesis, but due to several unrelated interests - i.e. dogmas about diet and health for example - they are on opposite sides rather than forming a common front to explain a common, erm, threat.

On the final hand, plants thrive on more CO2. In fact, the same place we get the term "greenhouse effect", we also get the data that shows more CO2 causes plants to grow faster, bigger, taller. The technical term is carbon dioxide enrichment. If anything, if I was a veggy nut, I'd welcome an increase in CO2, therefore I'd welcome an increase in meat production and consumption just for that (if that were true to begin with, which it's not).