Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-17, 12:30

Plan: Low Carb, High Fat
Stats: 280/269/220 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Probiotics - Probiomax

My eyes are crossed on this subject. Way too much info out there. My chiropractor is trying to get me to try this at $50/30 day supply. I have a feeling it's one of those MLM companies, but if the product is good I'll try it.

Anyone have experience with this product or others?

Ingredients:

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-17, 03:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Apparently not, no one has answered so far and I haven't used them. Nor any other brand probiotics. The whole gut microbiome is interesting, Dr William Davis of Wheat Belly gives advice on what to take for both pre and probiotics in his new book, but I have not been convinced I need them. We don't know enough about what "bugs" are normal, in what amounts, and it varies so week to week. We just don't know enough to add those four strains and think it will improve you, eating these foods, at this time. (I think he recommended a 10 strain, taking 50B a day, like the NOW brand found on Amazon?? Probiotics-10, 25B x 2)

Do you have digestive issues that warrant Probiotics? First I would give eating healthy real foods three months...no sugar, no grains that feed the "bad bugs"...to see if any health issues improve. That alone may change the strains in the gut? Add some good fermented foods, like live yogurt, fermented vegetables, kimchi. I do occasionally use an acacia fiber which is supposed to be a pre-biotic fiber.

There were a few other threads on probiotics.http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...64&page=2&pp=15

Ps: that does seem expensive to me. That NOW bottle is $14 for 25 days...not that I've used it or think you should buy it

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-02-17 at 03:23.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-17, 04:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm suspicious of probiotics that come in a capsule. These critters are supposed to be alive. How many really are in this packaging? I've noticed that selling probiotics has become a cottage industry for doctors and other healthcare providers. Great way to make extra money from your patients! I agree with Janet's recommendation to go natural with healthy fermented foods. Making kefir is easy, and it has more healthy bacteria and yeast cultures than any other probiotic food, and it's ready to consume in 24 hours. Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-17, 05:53

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, folks.

I don't have any known digestive issues. If my previous diet was an indicator, I have an iron gut.

My wife, however, has had all kinds of issues, and fatty liver to boot. I think staying on this diet through the fall and seeing how our bodies adjust is the right move. Just planning for the next steps and getting educated on all this gut bacteria stuff.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-17, 07:32

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

In "Undoctored", Dr. Davis recommends 6 weeks of probiotics to reseed your bowel flora then stop. If you are eating clean and including prebiotic fibres in your diet you shouldn't have to take them again unless something comes along and disrupts things, like a round of antibiotics.
I have taken a 60 day bottle full on a few occasions - once on the start of my low carb health journey, again when I decided to eliminate artificial sweeteners (they supposedly disrupt your gut bicrobiome) and again right now as I am switching to all dechlorinated drinking water. I figure if I am going to the trouble of doing things to heal my gut, I may as well give it the best chance. I don't think it can hurt anything but my pocketbook, but a bottle of NOW 10 billion, 9 strains is pretty cheap insurance to my mind.

Have you read Undoctored? Davis gives an easy, well explained protocol for general good health, including parctical advice on supplements (he is pretty restrained on this subject). Recommend highly.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-17, 11:53

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
In "Undoctored", Dr. Davis recommends 6 weeks of probiotics to reseed your bowel flora then stop. If you are eating clean and including prebiotic fibres in your diet you shouldn't have to take them again unless something comes along and disrupts things, like a round of antibiotics.
I have taken a 60 day bottle full on a few occasions - once on the start of my low carb health journey, again when I decided to eliminate artificial sweeteners (they supposedly disrupt your gut bicrobiome) and again right now as I am switching to all dechlorinated drinking water. I figure if I am going to the trouble of doing things to heal my gut, I may as well give it the best chance. I don't think it can hurt anything but my pocketbook, but a bottle of NOW 10 billion, 9 strains is pretty cheap insurance to my mind.

Have you read Undoctored? Davis gives an easy, well explained protocol for general good health, including parctical advice on supplements (he is pretty restrained on this subject). Recommend highly.

I have not read the book, but thank you so much for the recommendation. I don't mind taking supplements if I need them, but I always question how much I'm actually absorbing, and as such, how effective they really are...

Update: Ordered the book. It's now downloaded on my Kindle and my wife's Kindle. Now I'm off to get educated!

Last edited by Alamoman : Wed, Aug-02-17 at 13:31.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-17, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Probiotics are very safe. But ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamoman
I don't have any known digestive issues.

Then you don't have a flora problem.
So dont take probiotics.

Probiotics should be used with a specific goal in mind.

Unless $50 is pennies for you.

FWIW, I'd spend the money on some good food to help your lowcarb.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-17, 13:34

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLC.MD
Probiotics are very safe. But ...

Then you don't have a flora problem.
So dont take probiotics.

Probiotics should be used with a specific goal in mind.

Unless $50 is pennies for you.

FWIW, I'd spend the money on some good food to help your lowcarb.

Not pennies for me ....

Most everything I dealt with on my sugar addicted diet - heart burn, indigestion, bloating, cramping, reflux, etc. is gone on this diet. I get occasional mild heartburn and I've had some consipation of late, but well into week 4 and I'm very pleased with my energy and my modest weight loss.