Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 05:09

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 258/219/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Forks Over Knives

There's a villain in town, LCer's... it's meat and dairy. Have no fear, however, the vegetarian diet is here to save you all!

New plant-based diet propaganda coming to a theater near you:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/

I suspect we'll all be whacked hard with disapproving looks, know-it-all busybodies and a wave of brand new nutrition experts when ordering our steaks and passing on the beans.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 05:12

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Actually I've been doing a lot of vegetation because I developed allergies to meat and diary (coughing, wheezing, blocked nose, sore throat etc)

I am keeping it to natural food, and trying to find my way, so I do count myself to be paleo , but the gatherer type. This is after 10 years of LC, VLC and ZC.

I like the way I feel on my vegetation based diet, but I don't knock any meat eaters either.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 05:31

BF:

TigerLily: I did not post this to offend you and I am sorry if it did.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 05:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jenn*
TigerLily: I did not post this to offend you and I am sorry if it did.

You didn't offend me at all, just saying don't have a closed mind, I never thought I'd eat so much vegetation, after being ZC, but that's what it took to make me feel better.

Just keep an open mind each to their own.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 05:46

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

I agree that it is important that we all keep an open mind...what works extremely well for one person doesn't work for the next. I wish the "know-it-all busybodies and wave of brand new nutrition experts" (as Jenn so aptly puts it) would keep that firmly in mind too!

Got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...sorry if I come off grumpy...~$%$ nutritionists!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 06:06

BF:

I'd intended my post to be tongue-in-cheek. Apparently I suck at humorous writing.

Is there a way to delete a thread?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 09:27

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
I'd intended my post to be tongue-in-cheek. Apparently I suck at humorous writing.

You could click on the litle "report post" icon at the top riight of your original post (it is a little exclamatiom mark (!) inside a red triangle) and ask the moderators to delete it if you really want.

But I don't think anyone will be offended as it came across to me as an ironic sort of post!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 09:56

Plan: DSP
Stats: 232/197/150 Female 5'2"
BF:lots of it
Progress: 43%

I didn't find this post offensive at all, and I DO struggle with certain meat and dairy. It was obviously worded to be humorous and it got me reading the link. No worries!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 10:10

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

It came across as you intended.

There is always one.....
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 13:41
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:

Just use some of the smilies to show when you're laughing. A big grin or laughing smilie will get the humor across. A wink often will show that your comments are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, too.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 13:55

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:

No, no no...don't try to delete this thread!

I was a vegan for a long time and I still feel those longings.

The thing is, they have cornered the market on ethical eating. Even now, when I'm a committed meat-eater and I understand that farming is as bad for, or even worse than, cattle raising for the environment and animal life, I still feel an ethical pull towards veganism.

Tiger Lily's cool and so, I'm sure, are all the other veg-eaters here on ALCF.

What you were trying to convey with your original post, and what I'm sure we all got, is the moral superiority of the vegan world. They "know" their diet is better, physically and ethically. And most everybody agrees with them, probably out of free-floating guilt.

Last edited by HappyLC : Tue, Jun-28-11 at 14:03.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 14:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily1
Actually I've been doing a lot of vegetation because I developed allergies to meat and diary (coughing, wheezing, blocked nose, sore throat etc)

TigerLily, those are most of the symptoms that go away for me on lowcarb. Did you have them before? Did they return? Do you think eating such a narrow diet brought on those symptoms?

Oh, and I just thought of something else...is it possible they are caused by dairy? Did you eat dairy before?

(If this doesn't belong here, you can answer me via PM or your journal. Or my journal, come to think of it, which I haven't posted to in ages, lol.)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 14:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Don't worry Jen- i think you sounded joking.

Obviously there is some degree of tension on this board in regards to vegetarians, but i have almost always felt welcomed here and received support/ helpful advice. In terms of being offensive, your post wasn't even on my radar
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 14:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
TigerLily, those are most of the symptoms that go away for me on lowcarb. Did you have them before? Did they return? Do you think eating such a narrow diet brought on those symptoms?

Oh, and I just thought of something else...is it possible they are caused by dairy? Did you eat dairy before?

(If this doesn't belong here, you can answer me via PM or your journal. Or my journal, come to think of it, which I haven't posted to in ages, lol.)

Hey Happy, I have been LC/VLC/ZC and on this board on and off for the last 10 years yes I am sure that in the last year I have developed this allergy to meat and dairy, so am off both

Jen as I said no one is offended, just wanted to say there are vegetarians and vegans here, also note that there is a vegetarian LC sub forum on this board (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=109), so didn't want anyone to start slagging others because they have a plant based diet as you put it
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 14:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily1
Hey Happy, I have been LC/VLC/ZC and on this board on and off for the last 10 years yes I am sure that in the last year I have developed this allergy to meat and dairy, so am off both

I'm just wondering if eating those foods exclusively is what caused the sensitivity. I mean, it seems obvious. And that's what worries me. As my diet gets narrower and narrower I worry that I will eventually become sensitive to those foods that I am eating. And I'm eating a restricted diet because so many foods cause problems. Sheesh...it shouldn't be this hard!!