Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 12:10

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 200/195/135 Female 5'4" inches
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Meat Serving Sizes

One question I find myself constantly asking is, what is a serving size of meat? For instance, this weekend, we made paleo-friendly chicken wings (coconut flour & spices, then baked, used paleo-friendly hot sauce for dipping). They were so delicious, we had them for lunch & dinner. I probably had 40 total. I had a side of sweet potatoes at dinner and munched on grapes after lunch. I never got stuffed, and never got full either. By SAD measures, I would assume I had just consumed too much meat...but by paleo measures, I would assume I didn't. I just don't know.

I've only been doing this for two weeks, but I seem to be able to skip breakfast (and quite willingly because I'm not hungry in the mornings anymore!!). I'm not a huge salad person, so for lunch and dinner I've been doing meat with a side of grilled or cooked veggies. And I've been using a lot of fat (cocount oil/milk, bacon grease, and avocados have been my primary sources). A typical dinner would be protein (a steak, or 2 tendorloins, or a chicken breast) with asparagus grilled with bacon grease. If I'm still hungry, I go back for more protein.

I know paleo isn't about counting calories and fat, but I want to make sure that I'm eating enough or not eating too much. How did everyone handle their transition to paleo? How do you know what's too little or what's too much? How many ounces of meat do you have a day?

Oh, and I'm trying to lose weight, not maintain.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 12:49

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

I find that chicken legs and thighs give the best bang for the buck if you're eating poultry--there's not much meat on wings. There's no right or wrong portion. If you're hungry, eat.

And grapes are sugar bombs--no fruit is really "paleo", at least in their modern incarnations, except for berries.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 13:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Eat to your appetite, not to some guideline that won't apply to everyone no matter how hard you try! I bet 40 wings (wing joints, right? They're usually cut into a tiny drumstick and a wing-y part). Granted, that would be about 20 whole chicken wings, which is a lot, but hey, every now and then I have a little meat-binge too. I wouldn't make a habit out of it, but it won't derail you much, if at all.

One rule of thumb I think we can probably apply is... never eat anything bigger than your head.

I'd worry more about the sweet potato and grapes slowing weight loss than the chicken.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Mar-05-12 at 13:25.