Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 07:38
Chicken Butt

Plan: My Own/ CKD
Stats: 152/129/115 Female 5'0"
BF:24.5/?/?
Progress: 62%

Sounds good Krista!! I use the straight leg machine most of the time, but using the high-leg placement kind of makes it a little like using the 45 degree machine. The straight leg machine in our gym goes up to 400. My goal is to beat the machine by the end of the year. I`m at 350 now, so there is a chance I`ll get there!!

The 45 degree machine in our gym is plate loaded, so I guess it can go up to those crazy weight levels. There are actually even more than 2 types of leg presses though-- you will also see some people talking about "hack squats". These are also done at an angle, but instead of lying with your head closer to the ground, you are right side-up at an angle. The exrx site has a good pic of this exercise.

Unfortunately, the hack squat machine in my gym is not designed for people as tiny as me. I`m only 5' tall, so I can`t get enough extension on the hack squat for it to matter.

Have you tried back extensions and stiff leg deadlifts? I really hate leg curls because that machine is also badly proportioned for short people (at my gym) and I`ve discovered that doing back extensions and Stiff Leg Deadlifts has been an adequate substitute for the butt, lower back, and hamstring work I need to even things out.

Just remember that FORM is muuuuuuuch more important than the volume of weights.

Just to conclude, I`m not a fan of ATF squats, but everyone is different and I don`t think that the same things work for every body. For a discussion of atf squats, check out Built's Gym Log. She is a big supporter of ATFs.:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ith#post2338812

DB
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 07:45
Italian Goddess

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/199/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 53%

I know what you mean about being vertically challenged, I'm 5'1. When I do the leg curls I put two pads behind me and I've got the seat as far foward as it will go lol. I'm impressed by the 350 you can leg press, I tried pressing 150 on the straight leg press this morning and it wouldnt BUDGE, and I think I have pretty strong legs, my quads are hard, grrr. I do the stiff legged dead lifts, though not everytime, I try to switch things up. I love the exrx site too!
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 08:12
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: /235/235 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone1
FYI, there is a lot of naysaying and argument about what is safer on the knees in re Smith machine v. ATF squats. Personally, I squat 160 on the Smith machine, and I find that it is much easier on my knees than free-standing ATFs. I think the key is foot placement. You want your feet to be slightly in front of your body so when you squat, your knees are directly over your feet instead of in front of your feet.

Sorry, but this is flat out incorrect. It defies human anatomy and biomechanics.

1. Machines are never superior to free weights.

2. The Smith machine locks you into a fixed plane of motion, which develops what is called 'pattern overload syndrome'. This was coined by Paul Chek and is explained as

People get a pattern overload from using the Smith machine. The more fixed the object, the more likely you are to develop a pattern overload. This is due to the fact that training in a fixed pathway repetitively loads the same muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints in the same pattern, encouraging micro-trauma that eventually leads to injury. If Johnny Lunchpail always uses a Smith machine for his bench presses, he ends up working the same fibers of the prime movers in the bench press all of the time: triceps brachii, pectoralis major, long-head of the biceps, anterior deltoids, and serratus anterior. But he can't change the pathway, the bar will always be in the same position. This commonly leads to chronic injury over time. The weight is stabilized for you. However, the joints operate in multiple planes. Use of the Smith machine, greatly decreases stabilizer activity. That creates a problem when the trainee returns to free-weight training. When that happens, the trainee is exposed to the three-dimensional environment called real life.

This clearly applies to any exercise. Because of the mechanics of the knee joint, the body will alter the natural bar pathway during a free-weight squat to accommodate efficient movement at the knee. A fixed bar pathway doesn't allow alteration of this pathway for efficient movement of the joint, thereby predisposing the knee to harmful overload via lack of accommodation.

3. If your feet are out in front of you, you tend to push 'back' against the bar. Doing so forces the hamstrings to function as extensors which decreases their protective effects on the knee - the result is increased sheering force on the knee. Again, over time, chronic injury.

4. The issue of knees over toes has already been addressed.

And people like Smith squats because one, it's easier, and two, you can lift more weight.

The majority of people with amazing leg development are free squatters.

Last edited by -thunder- : Thu, Oct-07-04 at 08:19.
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 08:20
Italian Goddess

BF:

Going to join the land of free squatters on monday! I've done free squats using dumbells but not with a bar, I'm a little scared, lol. I'll ask to keep an eye on me so I don't kill myself. :-(
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 08:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Oh and full, free bar squat will give you a nice round booty.

Krista, once you find your groove you'll fall in love with them.
  #111   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 08:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~krista~
Going to join the land of free squatters on monday! I've done free squats using dumbells but not with a bar, I'm a little scared, lol. I'll ask to keep an eye on me so I don't kill myself. :-(

Krista, a few points to remember.

1. Remember the flexibility issues mentioned eariler - tight hips and tight calves. They require stretching. If you have a hard time getting into the full position, start with small plates under your heels.

2. People typically squat one of two ways (one is right, and one is wrong). The first is a 'knee squatter' and it is the incorrect way. In this squat, the descent is initiated at your knees meaning that the very first movement starts at your knees. It's almost impossible to get in the full squat position like this. The second is a 'hip squatter'. In this squat, the movement is initiated by your hips - as in you push your butt back and stick it out. Think of when you sit down in a chair. You stick your butt out. You dont start at the knees.

Try practicing it that way. Stand in front of a chair and pretend you have a bar on your shoulders. Squat down to the chair. Of course when you're actually squatting you'll be going lower, but if you keep the 'sitting in a chair' thing in mind, you should be golden.
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 08:26
Italian Goddess

BF:

um, if you've checked my gallery I've got a round booty, I'm trying to FIX IT. lol !!!!! I'm going for the smaller look. laughing
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 08:28
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~krista~
um, if you've checked my gallery I've got a round booty, I'm trying to FIX IT. lol !!!!! I'm going for the smaller look. laughing

Difference in definition I guess.

By round booty, I meant a tight, round, little butt. The best butts are muscular ones.
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 08:31
Italian Goddess

BF:

I figured that was what you meant. Ah well, I'll get there someday.
  #115   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: Food
Stats: /128/ Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Go Thunder!! LOL
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 10:50

Plan: Curves eating plan
Stats: 186/152/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thunder-
Sorry, but this is flat out incorrect. It defies human anatomy and biomechanics.

1. Machines are never superior to free weights.

2. The Smith machine locks you into a fixed plane of motion, which develops what is called 'pattern overload syndrome'. This was coined by Paul Chek and is explained as

People get a pattern overload from using the Smith machine. The more fixed the object, the more likely you are to develop a pattern overload. This is due to the fact that training in a fixed pathway repetitively loads the same muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints in the same pattern, encouraging micro-trauma that eventually leads to injury. If Johnny Lunchpail always uses a Smith machine for his bench presses, he ends up working the same fibers of the prime movers in the bench press all of the time: triceps brachii, pectoralis major, long-head of the biceps, anterior deltoids, and serratus anterior. But he can't change the pathway, the bar will always be in the same position. This commonly leads to chronic injury over time. The weight is stabilized for you. However, the joints operate in multiple planes. Use of the Smith machine, greatly decreases stabilizer activity. That creates a problem when the trainee returns to free-weight training. When that happens, the trainee is exposed to the three-dimensional environment called real life.

This clearly applies to any exercise. Because of the mechanics of the knee joint, the body will alter the natural bar pathway during a free-weight squat to accommodate efficient movement at the knee. A fixed bar pathway doesn't allow alteration of this pathway for efficient movement of the joint, thereby predisposing the knee to harmful overload via lack of accommodation.

3. If your feet are out in front of you, you tend to push 'back' against the bar. Doing so forces the hamstrings to function as extensors which decreases their protective effects on the knee - the result is increased sheering force on the knee. Again, over time, chronic injury.

4. The issue of knees over toes has already been addressed.

And people like Smith squats because one, it's easier, and two, you can lift more weight.

The majority of people with amazing leg development are free squatters.

Great post about the Smith machine.
  #117   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

Quote:
Inflammmation is part of the recovery process.

I'm curious as to why this is the case. Perhaps it makes sense for muscles, but why is it when the ankle inflames they recommend ice? What is the body doing when it induces inflamation? (I've got weak ankles so I sprain them quite a bit, though I haven't done it in some time now, knock on wood.)
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 12:17

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Quote:

2. People typically squat one of two ways (one is right, and one is wrong). The first is a 'knee squatter' and it is the incorrect way. In this squat, the descent is initiated at your knees meaning that the very first movement starts at your knees. It's almost impossible to get in the full squat position like this. The second is a 'hip squatter'. In this squat, the movement is initiated by your hips - as in you push your butt back and stick it out. Think of when you sit down in a chair. You stick your butt out. You dont start at the knees.

Thunder, I think I'll cut this info out and tape it to my dumbbells. I really need to protect my knees - I've already had my left ACL rebuilt - 'cause I plan on using them another 50 years. Even though I really try and keep proper form, I realized that maybe I'm letting my knees lead my squats instead of my butt. This is a good reminder.

thanks

Joan
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 12:29
Chicken Butt

Plan: My Own/ CKD
Stats: 152/129/115 Female 5'0"
BF:24.5/?/?
Progress: 62%

Quote:

Btw thunder-- no need to flame me. I wasn`t advocating the smith machine for everyone-- I'm just posting what has felt better to me. And, I`m not interested in "what`s easier". I work hard. I lift as heavy as I can, and while I may not have trained for a competition, I think my progress for about 6 months of lifting heavy is pretty good.

-db
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Krista, a few points to remember.

1. Remember the flexibility issues mentioned eariler - tight hips and tight calves. They require stretching. If you have a hard time getting into the full position, start with small plates under your heels.

Try practicing it that way. Stand in front of a chair and pretend you have a bar on your shoulders. Squat down to the chair. Of course when you're actually squatting you'll be going lower, but if you keep the 'sitting in a chair' thing in mind, you should be golden.

I'll add my .02 here, from someone who started by squatting 8 pound dumbbells three years ago because at first, the bar was so heavy that when I tried, I couldn't walk for three days...

Try using a broom handle until you get the form down. Once you know you can handle the weight of your own body in proper form, start adding back in the weights. A standard Olympic bar weighs about 45 pounds - so use dumbbells until you can squat with a 20 in each hand.

And hold them up at your shoulders (as if they're a bar), so you get used to feeling the weight near your shoulders
(instead of at your hips like this guy is doing):

I also always use a much wider stance than he's doing.