Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 16:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/261/200 Male 5-8.5
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Sugar free red bull

I saw this article on the web and wanted to share.

Sugar Free Red Bull - A Low Carb Success Secret?
With all the new energy drinks being pushed out there, so few are labeled sugar free so I never paid attention. Then I saw the makers of Red Bull came out with a sugar free version. Let me clarify something. Energy drinks like Red Bull are NOT drank like soda for taste or when you’re just really thirsty. Actually it tastes like carbonated medicine to me. But it’s not a big 12 oz. soda, it’s a 8 oz “shooter” to me. These are for when you need a pick me up for mental or physical fatigue, like when some drink coffee. I picked it up on a whim because I just wasn’t in the mood for a hot cup of coffee on a summer day.

Within 15 to 20 minutes, I felt really good. Not “high”, not caffeine-jittery, but I felt very alert and ready to get back to work. I figured it may be psychological, but what the heck. I started drinking one every day to get going rather than wrestling with hot coffee in my lap on my morning commute. After a couple weeks, I noticed that I was definitely losing weight again. With all the personal bullshit in my life right now, I have never given up low carb, but I had noticed with all the stress that the weight wasn’t coming off like it used to while eating only 10 grams or under of carbs a day. Let me remind you, that stress DOES effect your insulin and blood sugar levels, that’s a FACT, Jack!

Within these couple weeks, 10 pounds had peeled off without thinking about it. Drinking the Sugar Free Red Bull was the ONLY thing I was doing differently. I wasn't eating any less calories or carbs than my usual low carb routine of 10g a day or less. I wasn't getting any more exercise than usual. But I had still kind of dismissed it as being the panacea. I was very curious about how Sugar Free Red Bull made me feel better than a cup of coffee when the caffeine levels in one serving are comparable to a cup of coffee (80 mg). So I did some research. The buzz on the web is that the sugar free version of Red Bull is JUST AS POTENT for energy as the sugared version. So it’s NOT the sugar or carbs giving you the energy here…it’s got to be something else.

Another active ingredient in Red Bull is taurine. Taurine is an essential amino acid that your own body manufactures and you get from nature from meat & fish. But with age, we don’t produce as much as we should. Taurine (think the astrological sign Taurus, the bull), is linked to reducing high blood pressure, improving heart function, acting as an antioxidant, regulating calcium & postassium, and prevents abnormal blood clotting. And I am also finding evidence it helps regulate our blood sugar.

<FONT face=Arial>One of the first scientific bits of info I had received on taurine said " Taurine is incorporated into one of the most abundant bile acids, chenodeoxychloic acid where it serves to emulsify dietary lipids in the intestine, promoting digestion." <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">- http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/aminoacids/pages/taurine.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 16:55

Stats: 275/261/200 Male 5-8.5
BF:
Progress: 19%

Part two of the story.

So my very non-scientific mind looked at that and said, “It must help digest fats and pass them through…well, that’s always good.”

Then I saw a message board where a diabetic young woman was writing that since she started drinking 1 or 2 Sugar Free Red Bulls a day, her sugar levels were doing fantastic. In fact, she was running experiments on herself where she’d drink a Red Bull. Wait a half hour. She’d test her sugar and then eat something really high in sugar such as a handful of jelly beans. She knew from previous experience when her spike would occur and she swore that by drinking the Red Bull there was NO spike in the levels. I saw a few other similar posts from other diabetics swearing by this information. My low carbing mind started thinking,..."What if you knew you were going to be put into a cheating situation such as a birthday party and you drank a Red Bull before you got there? Would it make a difference?" My sister says yes. After I bounced this theory off her, she tested it. It was not a small cheat by any means and it would have produced a normal 5 pound gain for her that would take a week to take off. It only produced a 2 pound gain that came off within a day.

So my ever-turning low carb mind said, "Ok, what if you DON'T cheat, what effect will the Red Bull have?" And that is what I want to find out on my own body.

After going to the Red Bull site at www.redbull.com I see there is 1000 mg in a serving. At this time I am also going to get some taurine in a vitamin supplement and see if taking the supplement makes the difference. I noticed in the Atkins Blood Sugar supplements, they have 300mg of taurine and recommend taking 3 capsules a day (back up to the magic number of 1000 mg). So all this tells me...there is something to the taurine!

I'll report more later as I see results.

08/01/03 I noticed something very unusual. (men, you may want to pay attention even though at first glance you'll be repulsed). Today I started my menstrual bleeding, that's not the unusual part. I did NOT bloat, cramp or have any clue it was coming and it took me totally off guard. I'm wondering if the taurine had anything to do with that. I'll keep a watch on next month, but this is the first time I can remember in 10 or more YEARS that one just crept on me without PMS or bloating or weight gain. If this is true, guys, you may want to slip your woman a Sugar Free Red Bull...everyday!! (or at least some taurine)

08/06/03 Looking at my web server referral reports and this page is referenced all over the low carb & diet chat rooms!! So many of you are saying that taurine is only necessary for cats...WRONG! Many of you are saying taurine is "useless" and it's the B vitamins doing all the alert feelings...WRONG! Many of you are convinced its the caffiene content...WRONG! IT'S THE TAURINE! I have not had a Red Bull in a couple weeks but take only the 3000 mg daily of taurine...I feel great on it, I have the extra energy without the jitters. Give it a try before you bash! I wish I could sign on and write a few lines on every board this is referenced EVERY DAY but I just don't have the time. Pleasantly surprised you're talking about it.

And here's the obligatory disclaimer on this article: This is opinion only. I am not a doctor. I do not endorse this product being used by diabetics or anyone else as a substitute for any medications prescribed or otherwise. If you have any questions regarding this product please ask the manufacturers directly at www.redbull.com Because energy drinks usually carry caffiene be aware that this can dehydrate you. Be sure to drink plenty of water - everyday! Also, my own word of advice - don't live on energy drinks as a sole source of energy when you really need a full good night's rest.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 17:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

A mixer for 0 carb vodka, right?

Gah I remember trying red bull (regular back then) and vodka. The caffine kept you up so you were still awake and ill after the alcohol wore off.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 18:02
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I have never even tried regular red bull. Thanks for posting the article.

red
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 18:13

Stats: 242/185/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 62%

lol, ladybelle,, I've been looking for a good subsitute to mix my occasonial vodka with. I sure do miss my vodka
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 18:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:

I just do vodka and diet rite. I also found the splenda sweetened crytal light makes an excilent mixer, yummmmy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 18:26

Stats: 242/185/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 62%

can't wait to get to my goal weight so i can try that out!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 19:02
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I don't dare drinking Red Bull after the reported deaths of young people mixing alcohol and Red Bull in Sweden.

What has been said is that the combination is dangerous.

My bad translation from Swedish:
"Symptoms are among others heavy heart beat, nausea, headache and allergy reactions. When Red Bull is mixed with alcohol the heart can start "rushing" (Don't know the English equivalent of this word - fast and heavy heartbeat basically) and the patient can get heavy kidney damages."
(Report from Dan Andersson, head of medicine clinic at Södersjukhuset Hospital in Stockholm. Article in Aftonbladet evening paper, published July 6, 2001.)

(http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhet...9,71214,00.html)

Another article from 2001:
http://www.svt.se/nyheter/2001/010706/106.html

Snipplet:

"The sportsdrink Red Bull might have caused the death of three young people. A study of the three cases will take place at Södersjukhuset Hospital in Stockholm this autumn, according to DN (morning newspaper).

In two cases young, healthy persons had consumed Red Bull mixed with alcohol. In the third case a young, very fit person had several cans after exercising and later on died from kidney damage.
(...)
One can of Red Bull contains caffeine corresponding to one cup of coffee and taurin - an amino acid similar to the drug Antabus. The manufacturer claims there are no risks, but the beverage is banned in Norway and Denmark.

In the same article, Swedish national health & food dept. says:

We recommend against using energy drinks in combination with alcohol and make sure not to use them as thirst quenchers, i.e. consume larger amounts.

I actually don't know what has happened since, but it was enough for me to stay away from Red Bull... According to abovementioned newspaper article, Red Bull is forbidden in Norway and Denmark.

Anyone with more updated info on this scare?

Came up with this, when I googled:
http://tinyurl.com/2a9u5

Last edited by gilibel : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 19:19.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 21:18

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Vanilla Vodka and Diet Coke! (or Diet Rite... if you're feeling Splend-id)
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 03:16

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%

Does this work? Maybe I'll try it tomorrow...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 04:18

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

Hey guys! I always drink SF Red Bull when I go out clubbin'. But when I am home, I drink XS energy drinks. Its the only energy drink sweetend with splenda, not aspertame or caffine. TONS on B vits too!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 05:25

Stats: 161/161/126 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilibel
I don't dare drinking Red Bull after the reported deaths of young people mixing alcohol and Red Bull in Sweden.

What has been said is that the combination is dangerous.

My bad translation from Swedish:
"Symptoms are among others heavy heart beat, nausea, headache and allergy reactions. When Red Bull is mixed with alcohol the heart can start "rushing" (Don't know the English equivalent of this word - fast and heavy heartbeat basically) and the patient can get heavy kidney damages."
(Report from Dan Andersson, head of medicine clinic at Södersjukhuset Hospital in Stockholm. Article in Aftonbladet evening paper, published July 6, 2001.)

(http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhet...9,71214,00.html)

Another article from 2001:
http://www.svt.se/nyheter/2001/010706/106.html

Snipplet:

"The sportsdrink Red Bull might have caused the death of three young people. A study of the three cases will take place at Södersjukhuset Hospital in Stockholm this autumn, according to DN (morning newspaper).

In two cases young, healthy persons had consumed Red Bull mixed with alcohol. In the third case a young, very fit person had several cans after exercising and later on died from kidney damage.
(...)
One can of Red Bull contains caffeine corresponding to one cup of coffee and taurin - an amino acid similar to the drug Antabus. The manufacturer claims there are no risks, but the beverage is banned in Norway and Denmark.

In the same article, Swedish national health & food dept. says:

We recommend against using energy drinks in combination with alcohol and make sure not to use them as thirst quenchers, i.e. consume larger amounts.

I actually don't know what has happened since, but it was enough for me to stay away from Red Bull... According to abovementioned newspaper article, Red Bull is forbidden in Norway and Denmark.

Anyone with more updated info on this scare?

Came up with this, when I googled:
http://tinyurl.com/2a9u5

i was told it was because red bull is a stimulant, and vodka was a depressent which can make it lethal. apparently. *shrugs* i have no idea..
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 20:35

Stats: 196/176/150 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress: 43%

I love SF Red bull!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 12:06

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Thanks for the thread. DH and I are hosting Thanksgiving this year. I always have such fatigue from the stress. Maybe this will help me stay energized through the day. Can you get it at your local grocer?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 12:55

Plan: Semi-LC/Alt. Day Fasting
Stats: 229/221/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Goal is 22%
Progress: 10%

You can get it at quick-style marts at gas stations or convenience stores. The supermarkets may or may not have 'em, depending on location. I found 'em just fine in NY, but Maine is harder.

I used the SFRB for awhile, and I found it did in fact help. Temporarily. Is it coincidence that it broke a stall for me and I lost roughly 1/2 lb every two days for about a month? Don't know.

I then tried the Oil of Oregano and Relacore, and all weight loss stopped. The SFRB seemingly stopped working too.

All anecdotal, all possibly coincidence. Dunno. Taurine is used as a diuretic.

BTW, this was withOUT vodka.

Vicky