Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 15:59

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Unhappy caffeine/exercise/adrenaline addict

Anyone else have this problem? I love this WOE, but I keep finding myself reverting back to the caffeine, and green tea just isn't cutting it for me. I crave diet Mountain Dew Code Red, which is probably the most toxic soft drink out there. I just can't stand to feel tired or groggy (nor can I afford to at my job as a cardiac intensive care nurse). As I was leaving the gym feeling exhausted the other day, I realized I had spent 3 hours working out. Help! I don't know how to break the cycle! I can go without sugar or white flour and not even miss them significantly, but I'm having so much trouble letting go of AS, caffeine and overexercising. I am insulin sensitive with burned out adrenals (gee, wonder why ). If anyone has tips for conquering this please let me know.

Jen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 22:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hey Jen, I know how you feel about the caffeine. I love my coffee in the morning. I'm not sure about the diet Mountain Dew, but with coffee I'm slowly making it more and more decaf. I'm down to about 1/4 caffinated. Maybe you can dilute the Mountain Dew with plain soda water, adding a little more soda over time.

I not sure about the exercise, I've never really had that problem.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 08:05
Registered Member

Plan: Schwartzbein Principle
Stats: 175/157/140
BF:Happily ignorant!
Progress: 51%

Hi Jen,
Wow, I've never even heard of that Mountain Dew Code Red, must be pretty potent stuff! I worked in a hospital for years, as a secretary in Trauma; still work for the hospital but out of the hospital itself for the Construction Dept. Anyway, I have an idea of the level of job stress that you're talking about.

The only thing I could suggest is that maybe you need a little balance in your highly charged life. Have you tried yoga or meditation? Because maybe if you start calming down in your mind first, your body will follow, eventually. Maybe consider substituting yoga for some of your gym workouts?

I am totally off caffeine now something I thought I could NEVER do but I am amazed at how it has changed my life. I don't have the really high high's any more but I also don't have the low low's. Just a more even, balanced mood and my energy is starting to catch up. However, initially it was really hard. Doesn't Dr. S say you shouldn't go cold turkey off the caffeine if you have burned out adrenals or something like that?

I would be gentle and kind to yourself; don't stress about not being able to do everything perfect. Some yoga and meditation, gradually easing off the caffeine a bit, and lots of patience should pay off! You're doing really well already. Rosemerry
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 11:13

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

I agree with the previous posters suggestions. You are at on a job that I am sure caffiene has served as a quick fix that has become important to you. From what I have read in the book it sounds like you are an ideal candidate for tapering off gradually. I am sure the customers/patients want an 'awake' cardiac intensive care nurse on duty! Maybe as you heal your adrenals over time with healthful balance , the caffiene will become less improtant to you and it will become easy --naturally to stop. I have avoided major caffiene consumption for about 10+ years now -- but when I stopped went 'cold turkey' , and still recall the feeling of impending death from the headaches alone! With your job , 'gradual' and once healed will probably be the best.

As for the exercise, maybe if you try balancing it out with a yoga,tai chi, or some sort of flexibility class or session. You could spend about the same amount of time , socialize , but those are so much more calming. I know just the background and soothing music /calming voice of some of the videos I have (along with the movements) start calming me after the first few minutes. These can be just a beneficial as 'go for the burn '/high intensity of cardio, and personally I do not have much of a problem with keeping weight resistance within balance (although it is helpful to me within it's reasonable limits) For someone addicted to long bouts of heavy intensity exercise I think one may assume that the other type is not truly *exercise* --but it is important /balancing/ and beneficial.

As to artificial sweeteners I have found Stevia and Stevia Plus satisfying and helps keep me away from Splenda. I never could understand how people could find nutrasweet or saccharine appealing. I guess it all is individual, though.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 200/195/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default From a former diet soda addict . . .

Hi Jen -- I completely understand where you are coming from on the soda -- I, too, had a HUGE problem with Diet Coke. My chiropractor made me track it about a year ago and I was appalled to find out I was drinking over 100 oz. a DAY!!!! My husband was the same way. I kept trying to cut down, but just couldn't give it up and then found myself increasing again.

Finally, on Jan. 1 of this year I decided to cut out the diet stuff cold turkey. I knew I couldn't cut the caffiene cold turkey, so I just switched to a non-diet (which made me put on a few pounds) - since Dr. S and many others always talk about the risks of Aspartame. Well, much to my suprise, I found that since I didn't like it as much I started drinking less and less. Now I'm down to maybe a root beer a day - which is caffiene free and aspartame free -- still has sugar, but hey I've come a LONG WAY!! So try switching to another soda -- maybe that will help.

Good luck!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 19:41

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Smile Thank you

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. I managed to make it through the day today without any diet soda. One of my coworkers noted that I was unusually quiet today. I think I just have to accept that I will feel tired sometimes, but as long as I can think clearly and stay awake I don't need to resort to stimulants. I did drink 2 cups of tea and one cup of coffee. I have already gone through the process of weaning myself off coffee, which is why I am so frustrated with myself. The time change (I worked that weekend) and the TOM that followed really threw me off.

As far as exercise is concerned I am doing less cardio and more yoga and Pilates. It's just that trying to do cardio, weights AND yoga or Pilates takes up quite a bit of time. I do count the Ashtanga yoga class as cardio.

I think I need to start journaling again. Maybe if I have to account for everything I will do better.

Jen