Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/191/130
BF:
Progress: 6%
Talking Time to quit lurking and jump in!

Hi.

I have been 'cruising' the forums for several weeks now and have gained alot of knowledge and skimmed much support from the support others have recieved. I have decided it is time and I have the time to introduce myself and become an official participant rather than a lurker.

I am 35 years old and have been using Atkins has a WOE / WOL since February 4, 2002. Since that time I have lost 15 pounds, have 42 more to go, and have never felt better physically, mentally, and emotionally. I have successfully "experimented" with Atkins as a diet 2 or 3 times over the past two years. I really believe these "experiments" were important for me in learning and accepting this as a WOE / WOL. This time I am ready to and have been making the necessary lifestyle changes and reaping the benefits of doing so, so that this time I really believe is my time!

I come to this point in my life along a different path than alot of you seem to from the stories I have read. I am blessed with incredible genetics which strongly lean towards the thin side, an extremely effecient metabolism, a natural tendency to eat LC and a life history that for most of the time involved being much to thin. I was a serious high school and collegieate level and beyond athlete so I also was not a stranger to exercise and fitness.

My downfall centered around not heeding the cautions that age would slow my metabolism (although it is still very good), getting married (to a man who still can give me the first date glow just by watching him walk across our yard after 10 years), and having two incredible childeren; 3 & 6, (whom I am fairly sure the sun rises and sets upon), an incredibly challenging job working with individuals with a severe mental illness, which I love, and forgetting to keep exercise and fitness as an integral part of my life.

Although all of this combined eased me beyond a healthy weight, I must admit it also provided me with one of my most important life lessons to date. Putting on the extra weight taught me a life lesson I was not even aware I needed to learn. Adding the weight and no longer being extremely thin taought me the value I had beyond my physical appearance. It showed me strength, character, and virtue I was not conciously aware I had. The experience allowed me to become a more confident individual and develop a fuller and more enriching life. Funny how "the one in charge" gives you what you need even when you are not aware you need it!

But I believe I have learned that lesson well, my learning curve is really not that long so I am taking stock and taking charge and heading toward the thinner and physically healthier me! I am on my way with the LC lifestyle but must admit I am being a bit of a turtle with the exercise, but that to shall fall into place.

I am excited, energized, and looking forward to making the journey with all of you!

: : : :

Quote:
"If I can not find a way, I will make one."

Quote:
"Life is neither good nor bad, it is our CHOICE to make it what we wish."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 15:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Welcome, Lynn. Thank you for that lovely introduction. It's so nice to learn about the people who post here. I hope you will jump in and participate in the discussions here. Perhaps you'd like to start a journal so you can keep track of how you're doing and we can keep up with you!

Good luck on your journey. You've done very well so far -- I'm sure it will continue
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 15:43

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings and welcome aboard!

Very nice introduction. Sounds like you are already dong very well and I'm sure that will continue.

Just one point about your description - when you say you had an extremely efficient metabolsim, that would mean that you needed far LESS food to maintain your weight and activity level. It sounds more like your metabolism was rather inefficient - which is what happens when you are eating properly and are physically active. It's like a car engine - if you put an engine in a car that is capable of blazing acceleration and amazing top speeds, all while pulling a house trailer, that engine is NOT going to be very effecient even when idling at the stop light.