Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 05:08
Get’n Skinny

Plan: BFL
Stats: 255/211/190 Male 73  (6'1")
BF:40%/30%/lower
Progress: 68%
Default Slow Forum, Let's Speed it up

Wow! This BFL forum has been pretty dead. There hasn’t been any new post for several weeks. Is there anyone out there that’s on the program or getting ready to start? If so, how’s your progress and what are your goals?

-Dave
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 09:30
weighing in....

Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Still going strong on bfl.....

on Challenge 3, end of week 4. My official weigh-in and measure week.

Results for first four weeks of C3:

3 lbs. lost
3 inches lost

Not bad! Since I haven't been 100% on plan I'm pretty happy with those results. A little less than a pound a week is something I can certainly live with.

Goal for C3:
To get down to the 170's. That means losing at minimum of 6 more pounds by the end of this challenge.

Kiks
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:58
Get’n Skinny

Stats: 255/211/190 Male 73  (6'1")
BF:40%/30%/lower
Progress: 68%

Hey Kiks,

It looks like it’s you and me… well my wife A.J. is joining us. We officially stated C2 yesterday. We’ve got some pretty lofty goals, so were going to stick to the book. Congrats on the 3 pound drop. I'm pretty sure you can reach your goal of 6 more. Keep it up! I’m route’in for ya.

-Dave
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 10:34
weighing in....

I know there are a lot more BFL lurkers out there... but the guilt thing can keep people from posting. When I fall off the bfl wagon I feel so guilty that I don't feel like posting. Then I figure that posting will keep me honest so I keep at it.

I'm looking forward to finishing the last 8 weeks of this challenge. If I hit that goal I'll be so happy. Then I just have to figure out how to deal with maintenance!

Good luck to you and your wife. We'll have to keep this board busy between the three of us!

Kiks
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 10:33
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm actually in the process of researching BFL. I still have to get the book which I will do next week when I get some cash. I have looked for it at the library but it was taken out.(You think they would have more then 1 copy
for a city as large as Hamilton Ontario but noooooooooooo).

In the meantime, until I get the book, I am reading the BFL website and the posts here in this forum.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 18:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/188.5/150 Female 5 Ft 4 In
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default I have done BFL and Love it

I have done BFL in the past. I really like the workouts and less but more intense cardio. I was in a car accident a year ago and then fell off the band wagon while recovering.
I just started Atkins a couple of weeks ago. I want to get back to exercise with BFL. It does take planning but it keeps you motivated.
I used his journal as well. You can use just a notebook just fine. Do what he asks in the book about setting goals and stating feelings and such. It really helps you to get out the negative feelings and rev yourself up.
Jen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 11:39

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%
Default Just finished week 2

Hey all,
I'm another AJ - and I just finished Week 2 of my 2nd Challenge. I was going to start it in September but got sidetracked and just did my regular 4-day split. But I love BFL and it really makes me push hard, so I'm finally back. Feel great this time around - and I'm eating more like BFL this time instead of Atkins - I've added brown rice, sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, fruits and veggies and some whole grain breads. And my sour cream etc. is no fat and I've pretty much eliminated the higher fat cheeses etc. I feel really good! Loads of energy, but unfortunately I'm also back to experiencing cravings, after being craving-free for the 16 months I did lo carb, Atkins style. Whole new way of thinking and eating, and I'm not going to stay this way for too long. When I get hungry, I binge, and that's my downfall. I never once strayed from Atkins, but I had a cookie-dough splurge last weekend doing BFL - the whole package!

Good luck to everyone on their challenges!

Laura
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 15:04

Plan: Mixed with BFL
Stats: 244.5/239/190 Male 70 inches
BF:33
Progress: 10%
Talking Hello others doing BFL and low carb

I am currently in week 3 (almost week 4). However, I do the workout of BFL but I am doing a low carb diet natural food diet except one day a week I have a free day. I have lost 7 lbs so far and have toned up a lot. My work out partner has had similar results. I feel great! No cravings, as I always know that I have a free day coming. Plus with this being the holiday season I find it easier to plod along and enjoy the time with my family. It has not been a problem getting back into ketosis within 1 day of my cheat day. I will post some before shots soon (if I can get up the nerve). Keep on keepin on!

Bill
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 17:20

Plan: ummmm....
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:yes/it's/fat
Progress: 0%

hi everyone

hope someone is still checking in here!
i am researching, contemplating a shot at BFL. have the book and have gathered tons of info here on the board. there is one thing i'm not sure about. anyone who can give input, thanks very much!

i feel a little confused about the weight training schedule. for 6 days it's upper, cardio, lower, cardio, upper, cardio.....
so my question is, am i supposed to perform 2 exercises for a specific muscle group on day 1, and then 2 different exercises for that same muscle group on day 5? or can i perform my favorites for a few weeks and then change it up? does that question make sense to anyone?

thanks in advance for any help!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 09:58

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Hey Lasha - I'm no expert - when I do the workouts, I tend to change the specific exercises around just so my body doesn't adjust too much - you could probably do your favorites for 4-6 weeks too, then change them up. But today was my upper body, so I did flyes on the ball then bench dumbbell presses as my 2nd - next time I might do incline flyes or incline presses then finish with ball flyes. I tend to rotate my favorite 5 or 6 exercises for each body part -just mix them up a little. Guess the most important thing is that you continue to see results - if you feel like you're not getting full benefit, try changing it up a little.

Good luck - it's a great program and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 10:12
weighing in....

hey Lasha....

If you go to the Body for life web site www.bodyforlife.com they have the workout sheets that I use to do my weight training program.

If you read through the book you'll also find these sheets and the appropriate list of exercises that should be performed as part of the training program. I'm certainly no expert - but Bill Phillips states that following the program, and the exercises in the order provided give a jump start on your weight training.

BFL recommnend training in the following order:

Upper-Body
Chest
Shoulders
Back
Triceps
Biceps

Lower-Body
Quads
Hamstrings
Calves
Abdomen

There are many, many different exercises you can do for any of these muscle areas. The BFL book or a trainer can help you identify good exercises. It is a good idea to switch our the exercises every once in a while - you'll find that your muscles become trained on an exercise and switching them will jump start your workouts again. I'm going to be chaning out my exercises again shortly.

I've had great succes on BFL - down almost 50 pounds and muscles where I've never had them before! And best of all the BFL eating program really works for me. I can still enjoy some of my favorite foods but not feel like I'm depriving myself.

Good luck
Kiks
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 13:13

hi AJ and nets, thanks so much for your input! it is helpful. i really appreciate having new friends to consult with.

nets~ how long have you been doing BFL? do you mind if i ask how you progressed? i am a weigh in addict, trying to reform myself. i know that my weight may remain the same or even increase at first, but that i'll go down in size...right? how has that gone for you so far?

i love, love LOVE the feeling of building muscles! i did a practice lower body work out today and it felt great! i am still getting an idea of what poundage to work with.

i am planning to do the BFL while sticking with low carb eating (Protein Power at the moment) there's been a lot of info on this posted on the board here.

i wiil stop in to your journal sometime. i am planning to start my own (someday soon ) and would love it if you'd pop in sometime.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 13:45
weighing in....

Lasha -

I started BFL in January of this year and have been going strong since then (with some bumps along the way )....

My first challenge was my best - I lost 17 pounds and around 15 inches. Since then I've averaged a 1 to 2 pound loss per week, while also increasing my muscle mass. It may not be as fast as Atkins or some other diets but it's really worked for me.

If I remember my first challenge corretly I didn't really see any significant weight loss / body change until I hit week eight.... So you need to hang in there!

I think it's very important to not only weigh but to measure. I keep a chart of my measurements and weight. I only weigh in every four weeks. It's great to step on the scale and see a 3 to 4 pound loss and inches too! If you can stay away from the scale I'd recommend it. And, if you're brave engouh, take some before, during and after pics. When I put my January pic next to one I took in August I really saw the difference. (It's posted in my gallery if you want to look.)

As for the poundage to use... when you hit your final two sets of 12 it should be tough and you should feel your muscles burning. You want to feel like you couldn't lift it one more time. And after a while it will become easier and then you up your weights again!

Stop by my journal anytime - it's great to have more BFL people here.
Kiks
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-23-04, 14:38

i'm looking forward to January when i will officially begin my FIRST 12 weeks on BFL.

just wanted to say have a merry Christmas to everyone here!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-04, 15:40
weighing in....

Good luck Lasha!

I'm ending up week one of my fifth challenge (!!!!)... wow. Hard to believe I started this BFL journey almost a year ago.

I'd love to see more BFL supporters here... I'd have more people who eat six meals a day like me...

Have a happy holiday.
KIks