Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 10:55
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 260/240/142 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Thumbs up My new George Foreman Grille.... I'm in love!

I keep forgetting to mention this here (I don't keep my journal up, either... I'm so bad!)

Anyway... I went out and bought one of these when Walmart had a sale a few weeks ago. I LOVE it!!! I haven't fried meat since, and haven't cranked up the oven broiler either!

It's great for one steak or two (there's a bunch of different sizes of grill, so you can get what would be good for whatever size army you're feeding), hamburgers, pork chops, even BACON is easy to cook on this puppy (cooks fast, so keep an eye on it). I've even used it to cook cheddar cheese cubes into rippled 'taco-type' things.

It's extremely easy to clean, too. But the best thing about it, and they don't even mention this on the box, is that it really seems to cut down the grease in the air. You know what I mean? I love bacon, but I'd only cook it once or so a week just because I hate the greasiness in the air afterward... I don't know exactly why or how, but this GF grille thing seems to really, really cut it down.

I freeze all the meat in individual baggies when I get it home from the market. Then at suppertime I just take out two chops or burgers, etc. and season them, then pop them frozen on the grille. I've figured the cooking time for a 1 inch frozen steak to about 12 minutes, flipping it over every 3 minutes. The box didn't say anything about cooking frozen things, so I had to play with the amounts. It gets VERY hot, so the outside of the meat cooks FAST. It keeps it juicy!

I was really impressed by the black stripes you get on your meat, and it really tastes grilled. I even put cheese on the burgers just when they're done, then I unplug the grill and close the lid for about 30 seconds. It looks weird, but it tastes yummy. I also put a plop of sourcream on my porkchops and close the grill... makes it into an instant gravy-type sauce. It runs down (or you scrape it with the funny little scraper that comes with it) into a little tray, I just pour it back onto the meat on the plate. I also grill sliced onions, peppers, etc. in there, too. And I buy frozen chicken tenderloins, sprinkle them with a dusting of fajita seasoning, and grill them with peppers and a few strips of onion... I'm hungry just thinking about it!

I don't work for the company, so don't think I'm trying to advertise for them! I just really, really like this little gadget!!! I just think ol' George ought to start bending his advertising to the LC community - he'd be smart if he did!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 11:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hey, thanks for the review. I never even considered buying one of these because I figured they were just silly gimmicky things. But I am broiling a lot of food because I like the barbequed sort of burnt taste on things. I'd be bbq'ing on my outside grill but its out of gas at the moment.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 11:31

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Oh i love mine.. i use it twice a day. It cooks everything perfectly.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 11:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'4
BF:?
Progress: 0%

I've been using them since they first came out--We use it everyday--at least once a day, most of the times more--for breakfast sausages and beacon, then dinner.
We burn thru about one every 6 months, too much use I guess, but they are so cheap that it's worth spending the $$ to keep them in the house.
Also, with hamburgers--you can put all the stuff you want in them, onions, mushrooms, etc and just put it in there as a ball and close the lid, instant patty!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 11:34
Stay in the ZONE!!

Plan: atkins/mine
Stats: 253.5/253.5/200 Female 5'2"
BF:Losing It!
Progress: 0%

I bought some orange roughby fillets and seasoned them and threw them on the foreman grill. They were awesome and super easy!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 12:00

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I want one of these! It's summer now and we grill all summer, but my goal is to have one by next winter.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 12:05

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I do love the way mine cooks things, and how fast it is, but mine isn't easy to clean. I heard that over and over from people, but really it's a pain

I have to slide it right up to the sink and use paper towels and soap to clean it when everyone else says theirs just "wipes clean"

Do you use Pam in yours? I do and still get burnt on/stuck on mess.

Bacon is great in it! No shrinkage like in a pan. And yes, I've noticed a huge difference in the amount of grease in the air and on everything.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 12:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

Cleaning secret: when you take your food off, wet a paper towel and stick in in there in a wad. Unplug the thing and go eat. When you are done, all the food bits will have steamed off.
This also works for slobs like me who don't clean the thing for days after using it - just plug it back in with a wadded up wet paper towel.

I love this gadget too, but if you have a real grill, I would use that. (I don't and wish I did) The foreman grill gives you pretty grill marks, but they don't taste of grill.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 12:49
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have a family size Hamilton Beach indoor grill and I LOVE it. It cooks up to 4 good size pieces of meat at a time, and the top and bottom *grill plates* pop out and go in the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 12:52

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

I love my Forman grill. I grill everything from hot dogs to chicken to ready for this... Veggies! i spray it PAM before I use it and makes cleaning a snap (with a web paper towel when it is still warm....)
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 12:54
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have one too, DH got it for me this past Christmas.

I used it for a month then stopped cause not eating my food cooked in oil slowed down my weight loss. (since the grill lets out all the fat into the catch cup) I still use it on occasion when I'm in a hurry and don't feel like standing in front of stove getting spit at by hot oil but it's not an everyday thing anymore.

My weight loss has picked up again now that I don't use it as often and drench my meat in oil.

But this is just me. I know lots of people still lose well while using this fabulous grill. It is really awesome!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 14:06

Stats: 215/161.5/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Another tip for cleaning the grill.

When I want to marinate the meat, or use bbq sauce, I quickly line the grill with alluminum foil before I turn on the grill. SO when you are through, there is no cleanup. Its great!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 14:24

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

I am going to try that!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 14:31

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Using tin foil is an awesome idea!!! I use my forman everyday, but I hate cleaning it! I have tried using Pam, but it still is tough to clean. I can't even imagine doing atkins without a george forman grill...

Try grilling large Portabello Mushrooms on it....so good! They make great "buns" for eggs or sandwich meat after they are grilled.
Jenn
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 260/240/142 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 17%

What great ideas! Here I thought I was posting this thread to be helpful, and I'm gathering up all these goodies! I'm going to try the foil idea tonight - we're having steak with onions.

Has anyone tried using gravy mix as a seasoning? I use McCormick Pork Gravy mix on my pork chops, just a dusting. It's not exactly gourmet cooking, but I come from a long line of Velveeta-Eaters!