Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 10:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/259.5/180 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default YUCKY under the arm flab..HELP!! please??

I have horrible arms. From the top up the elbow and up. Can anyone suggest an effectice exercise for losing the fat and toning the flab? I don't want to bulk up any. Need help with upperarms though. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 10:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/260/170 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:48.1%/33%/25%
Progress: 38%

Honestly, I don't know a specific exercise. I just wanted to say I feel your pain, my arms look something horrible now from this WL. Honestly, I'm planning on getting to goal, getting a tattoo, and bulking them up like a man to take care of the flab lol.

Wish I could be of more help!

Amanda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 11:00

BF:

LOL...maybe a barbed wire or tribal?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 15:48

Stats: 245/160/135 Female 5'5''
BF:?
Progress: 77%

Do you mean to tell me that if you were a squirrel that you wouldn't want to be able to fly?
My "flying squirrel wings" have got to go!! I do not want to bulk up either--just tone.
Tho I am also dealing with the thighs that are sagging to the knees and the "jelly belly" from hell!!
Someone HELP US before it is to late PLEASE??!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 15:59
library diva

Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

Ok I found this article I'd saved: http://www.weightlossresources.co.u.../upper_body.htm

I am willing to do this...b/c I REALLY need to tone...I feel like I have batwings, which are NOT attractive. Who's with me? No idea how well this works but I'm willing to give it a shot!

8 Minutes to Get Rid of Your Upper Body Wobbly Bits

Whether it's the little black dress in winter or, for men, stripping down to your shorts in summer, those wobbly bits around the upper arms, chest and back can easily spoil the look. Here's our 8 minute body toning workout to banish the wobbly bits.

Equipment Needed
Any exercise aimed at toning your body needs something to provide resistance for your muscles to work against. Most of the exercises below use hand-held weights to provide resistance: these can be as simple as water bottles (or even tins of food) you can grip comfortably, or dumbbells in the range of 1lb-5lb/0.5-2kg.

Timing and Repetitions
10 reps of each exercise should take about 8 minutes. As with all exercise you should warm-up first. Marching or jogging on the spot for a few minutes interspersed with some gentle stretches will do the trick.

Caution
Body toning exercise can be a pretty painful experience if muscles have lain dormant for a while. The problem is, it's not until 24-48hrs after your workout that you'll realise you've overdone it! Body toning exercise should not be painful while you are doing it - if it is you're using too much weight.

If you've not been exercising your muscles recently it's best to start with a weight that feels "very easy" and build up gradually from there.

The Workout
Exercise 1 - Chest and Shoulders
Lie on your back and grasp your weights with the palms of your hands facing up, and your arms outstretched to the sides. With your elbows slightly bent, lift your arms above your chest until your hands are almost touching. Return to starting position and repeat.

Exercise 2 - Chest and Shoulders
Lie on your back and grasp your weights with the palms of your hands facing up, and your arms outstretched above your head. Grip your weights and bring them over your head and down to your hips, by your sides - a semi-circular motion. Lift back to starting position and repeat.

Exercise 3 - Chest and Back
Sitting with your back straight (preferably supported) and legs straight out in front of you, hold your weights in at your chest with your elbows out to the side (parallel to the floor). Push your arms out straight in front of you then pull them back in. Repeat.

Exercise 4 - Back and Shoulders
Stand with feet shoulder width apart and arms by your sides, gripping the weights with palms facing outwards. Making sure your movements are slow and concentrated, tense your shoulder and upper back muscles, then slowly "shrug" them up and down.

Exercise 5 - Shoulders and Upper Arms
Stand with feet shoulder width apart and arms raised straight up above your head, grip your weights with your palms facing behind you. Slowly bring your arms forward and down, without bending at the elbow, until level with your shoulders. Lift back to starting position and repeat.

Exercise 6 - Upper Arms, Shoulders and Back
Standing with feet slightly apart, grasp your weights and bend at the waist until your torso is parallel to the floor. Extend your arms towards the floor with palms facing outwards. Lift your arms out to the side, keeping them straight, until parallel to the floor. Return to the starting position and repeat.

Exercise 7 - Upper Arms, Shoulders and Back
Standing with feet slightly apart, position your arms straight down in front of you almost against your body - with your weights almost touching. Bend your elbows and lift your weights towards your chin, bringing your elbows out to the side, in line with your shoulders. Return to the starting position and repeat.

Exercise 8 - Arms and Chest
The classic push up. With your hands shoulder width apart place your palms on the floor. Stretch out your body with either your knees on the floor, or if you're feeling ambitious, your toes - so you are supporting your body weight. Keeping your back straight and using your arms lower yourself gently toward the floor until you are hovering just over it. Push yourself slowly back to your starting position and repeat. Remember - don't lower yourself to the point where you come into contact with the floor, it'll be much harder to push back up.

Exercise 9 - Arms
In a sitting position with your back straight, relax your arms in line with your body. Grip your weights with your palms facing upwards and curl them up towards your shoulders, then back down again. Repeat. Keep your torso still and back straight, let your arms do the work.

Exercise 10 - Forearms
Holding your weight with your arm outstretched in front of you, tilt your wrist up and down repeatedly. Try doing this with both an overhand and underhand grip on your weight. Do one arm at a time.

Results
The secret of successful body toning is regularity. If you do this exercise sequence every other day you'll start to see results in a few weeks.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 18:41

BF:

Okay..I'm game! It sure can't hurt! I'll start tomorrow. What do you think...give it a month? I'm gonna do once a day Mon-Fri. I know I have some muscles in here somewhere! When I get to them, they're gonna be toned!
Sonja
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 18:55

LOL Actually I was thinking about a huge lion head or something. Not so feminine huh?? lol.

Those exercises sound good, thanks for looking those up. I may be trying it with ya'll. Right now I'm going to curves but I want some night exercises to do. Probably like 3 days a week. Now i just gotta go get some weights!

Amanda (Who will one day have big huge arms with a lion head on one of em!)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 18:56

Oh and what are we gonna do with the thighs hanging down to our knees???????? That's my BIGGEST concern!

Amanda
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 20:41

BF:

Big buff tattooed Amanda...Not sure..thigh master?? It worked for Suzanne..cause you know, she was so flabby to start with! I'll have to look into that..tomorrow. I went to Curves...does yours have that squat thing...uugh!! The worst part of the whole circle for me. Good for the rear though. I can still here the music plain as day though..I think I can even keep the right tempo. Okay ..well goodnight!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 20:52

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Ok I'm game in doing this.
I have to do something.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 21:52

Yes, they have the squat machine. I HATE it! I'm really disliking that music too, yet it is effective! At first it took everything I had in me to stand there and "act" like I could do that squat thing. I am getting better with it now though, still it is HARD!

The thigh master type thing I've used all along, I can't say if it works or not. Maybe there are nice muscular thighs in there somewhere but I sure can't see anything but wrinkles, fat, rolls, and skin! Who knows though maybe it could be worse if I weren't using it. I've used an ab roller the whole time too, yet my stomach is ALMOST as scary as my thighs!

I really wish that i would have did more strength training and toning type exercising from day 1 of this plan. I'm sure my body would be in much better shape. Unfortunately, I only focused on cardio.

Skippie, yay join us! I will write you tomorrow morning when I'm actually awake!

Amanda
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 04:07

Stats: 245/160/135 Female 5'5''
BF:?
Progress: 77%

Alrighty then--I will begin this today--I suppose....I guess I must dig out my little weights.
So is this a challange??
and what about our thigh sagging knees? I was trying to figure out a combo word for them but I guess there is nothing as good as cankles (when the calf and ankles combine).
Is there an exercise for the saggy knee syndrome? Tho shorts weather is pretty much over so I can worry about that later but...
What about when you can actually fit into small jeans with the shirt tucked in but have that flabby lower stomach that to me just screams 'I am still a too fat to tuck in my shirt'? I can hide my rolls that are above the waist band ---HELP ME! Please......
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 07:57

BF:

Oh the tummy..did you really have to go there? I've been doing situps everyday for that. So, there will be muscle there when I get to it. I..get this..started with the intention of doing 4 reps of 25 a day. YEAH RIGHT!!!!! So, I started and about died during the first set of 25!! A few hours later went to do the next 25..I swear to you, I could not even sit up once! So, realizing that was a bit much to start with, I decided I would do reps of ten throughout the day. I just started last Monday and the reps of 15 are coming as easy(?) as the reps of ten were last week. I even did 2 reps of 20 yesterday among the 15's. So, even though I won't be able to see the muscle for a while, it just has to be doing something? Right? UUGH!! That lower tummy. Is that from having 3 kids..1 cesarean or just the way it is? I have like a spare tire thing..kinda wraps around a little. EEWWEE!!

I don't have problem ankles my thighs are pretty rough but not nearly the issue my arms are!! I almost hate to wear a shirt with sleeves above my elbow. And you know how summer shirts are made now. SHORT sleeves! Bring on winter!!! Hopefully next t-shirt shopping season will be more fun!!

Anyway ladies, good luck today! Hopefully we won't all be so sore in a few days we can't move!!
Sonja
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 08:19

You sound the opposite of me Sonja, I've always been heavier in my lower body. I can't ever remember not having my dimply rolly thighs! It sucks and the more weight I lose the worse they look. I really think I will NEED surgery for them one day. I'm giving it another year and if they don't shape up, along with my stomach, it is surgery time (if financially possible).

I still need to go buy the weights and I don't have time today. SOon as I can get them though, I'm starting this!

AManda
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 11:58

BF:

I thought I had hand weighhts...but couldn't find them today. We moved about 2 months ago and I got rid of a LOT of stuff prior to that! I used 2 cans of corn today. Not very heavy!!! I guess I've always been heavier up top...I guess...my bottom only includes my legs though. They are the only things on me other than my forearms that aren't too awful. And really my upper thighs are in serious need of help. Okay..well not sure if that was discouraging or motivating. I'm gonna have to make it MOTIVATION..

Skippie and Betsy..how's it going? I didn't think it was too tough! I thnk I may go for twice a day. I need it SO bad! What do you all do for cardio if anything? I'm afraid to get too crazy because I always think I'm gonna break my leg or something! I dislocated my knee in Highschool..Always scared to do it again!! I feel a little(ok alot) too big to be jumpin around too much! Anyway..I tried some taebo..I while back..that was tough..and the instructor was too sweaty in all the wrong places..made me wanna puke! I've never been a get all sweaty feel the burn type of gal..time to change I guess! Also afrai of having a heart attack. Can't wait to be rid of these fears!! and the lbs!!!
Good luck ladies!
Sonja