Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:17

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Talking You were right!!

After 2 days of no sugar alcohols, I have dropped 3 lbs. I was so discouraged that I would have quit again if it weren't for this forum. I am so relieved that that was the reason because I am tired of being tired. Thank you all so much for being so supportive and helpful! I was so close to quitting and being depressed that I "couldn't" lose weight. You guys are a lifesaver! Or would that be a fat loser? I will never, never eat those again
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:25
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Not in any way shape or form to discount the effect of sugar alcohols on you, it's great that you are cutting them out, but I'm just curious, do you think you also ate less calories in these last three days because you weren't having sugar alcohols?

I know sugar alcohols stall some, but they don't seem to stall me all the time. But they do seem to stall me sometimes. I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's a calorie thing for me as opposed to the actual sugar alcohols. I should probably start using fitday again, it's just such a pain in the butt for me, I feel like everything I eat is a custom food and has to be entered from scratch!

Valerie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

That is really interesting thatsgottago because I have the exact same problem. I stall like crazy with the sugar alcohols and yet some people have no trouble with them. My partner was being kind last week and bought me some of those sugar free candies (Russel Stover) and they are wonderful. But each one (tiny) has about 15 carbs of sugar alcohol! I keep my carbs at about 25 a day so those are just not okay for me. I wish I could have the sugar alcohol and not count it but it just doesn't work for me! Congrats on your success and let's not eat that anymore!

Orchid
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:39

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

I don't trust them at all!!!!! lol They are so delicious but stall me every time!!! I think I'll save them for an *occasional* treat when I'm on maintenance.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:43
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I knew you could do it.

Congratulations, keep up the good work!

Lily
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:46

BF:

ValerieL - I didn't eat less calories, I was so deprived that I ate a large serving of steak and cheese at every meal the first day, then I had a lot the second day too. I researched sugar alcohols on PubMed, and found an article about how the impact of SAs differ according to what kind, how much etc. Malitol was believed to have the least impact on blood sugar. The reason I contribute the stall to SA, is because I went on Atkins about 2 years ago, lost 40 lbs in 4 months, then discover SA and stopped losing. So, I do think I'm sensitive.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 12:45
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Thanks for the info. I wasn't doubting that it was the SAs, I was just curious about it because of my own stall/not stall experience with them.

Interesting info about the type of SAs and how some have less impact on blood sugar than others. Maybe that's the difference between the SAs when I stall and don't. I'll have to look at that!

Thanks!

Valerie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 13:36

BF:

I'm very interested in that too and would like to find more info on it. I'll let you know what I come up with!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 13:59

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I know that I can't eat sugar alchols and subract anything from them. I have to count all the carbs they offer, which makes most of them off limits when you're trying to stay under a certain amount. I have the same problem with fiber too. I have to count the whole amount and not take off the fiber content! Just my luck to have a weird body chemistry!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 00:21

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

The one thing I frequently crave is chocolate. I save my LC candy for when I crave it. Cravings are what threw me off the wagon last time. Ignore one craving and get five more. So I'll have a bit every couple of days if I feel the urge. But I don't eat much of it. They haven't really seemed to affect me much though. Maybe a little... but I still lose, so not concerned.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 01:21

Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I absolutely cannot eat SA's! I stall instantly from just a few small pieces. I found this out in January and dumped them all in the garbage. Splenda does not make me stall so I look for things sweetened with Splenda like Carb Countdown Chocolate Milk, only 3 grams and no SA's. I put it in a blender with ice and some Carb Options Skippy Peanut Butter (4 grams) and have a peanutbutter/chocolate shake.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 06:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I think I'm in the same boat. I used to eat one carbolite bar on Sundays as my reward but in the fall around Halloween I started really pigging out on the stuff. That happened all through the holidays and of course my weight stalled and I gained. Now I've given them up for Lent as an experiment to see if I can start losing again, but I seem to be always hungry and my huge appetite has come back so I know I'm eating way too many calories although its all legal food. I just need to get back into control.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 10:24

BF:

Now that I'm not eating them, I'm not craving them. I like the idea of the shake, yum! I also make sf jello cheesecake fluffs, they are good too! Maybe later on when I'm not so insulin resistant, I'll try again.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 10:41

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

This happened to me in the last 2 days. I was at Walmart both days and was happy to find some low carb candy bars. They were delicious and it said that it was only 1 net carb, but I woke up the next day and my face was puffy. I ate another candy bar and my face is very puffy and the clothes at the smaller sized that was just loose 2 days before is tight today, so I learned my lesson...only eat those things once in awhile and watch those sugar alcohols.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 11:01

BF:

Crazy isn't it? There are some people who can eat these all they want. Oh well. I also noticed I have that energy rush now that i've always heard about but never experienced. Awesome! I'm just so relieved I found out what the problem is. Now I have to make myself get off the forum and write a paper on Myocardial Infarction. Exciting, huh?