Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 15:22

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 160/144/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Russel Stover Candy OK?

Hi guys,

My name is Brita, I'm 22 and new to posting. I love LC-ing but sometimes I want dessert. I thought the Atkins Advantage bars were ok, but tried the Low-Carb Russell Stover candies, and they are awesome!!! They have 16 carbs normally but after taking out fiber and mailitonin (or whatever its called) it says it only has one net carb. Does anyone know what the deal is with those? They taste too good to be true! Any info on it is appreciated.

Thanks,
~Brita~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 15:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 152/150/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 12%

that are great. you are right they are 16 carbs then when yuo subtract fiber it is low . mailitonins are sugar alcohols and most people react to them like sugars . so what i always do is just subtract the fiber and that is the count . for example the atkins chocolate decadence bar has 25 grams of carbs , and 11 fiber , and 3 grams of sugar alcohols. so they would be 14 carbs. it says to subract the suagar alcohols but they react to me like reg. sugar . so my advice is to just see how it all reacts to u . and at the samw time eatting a dessert everyonce in awhile is fine but all the time could but you on a stall. welcome to the site.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 16:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/209/175 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Don't overdo on those RS candy. Malitol is a sugar alcohol that has a very high glycemic index and should be avoided as much as possible. Plus it gives you "gastic discomfort" if you overinduldge.

If you are craving chocolate, try finding a zcarb bar. They're sweetened with splenda and eythrinol (another sugar alcohol, but no tummy problems.) They're really yummy too.

It's ok every now and then to indulge in food with sugar alcohols, but many people stall if they eat too much of the stuff. YMMV.

Welcome to the board and good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 09:14

Stats: 303/270/220 Male 6'2"
BF:yummy
Progress: 40%

MAN, I eat those things all the time, and the atkins ice cream! You should eat them and use some of those keto-sticks (that you pee on), and see you fall out of ketosis.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 21:40

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love the peanut butter cups the best, 1 is enough and that's only .5g net!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 21:40

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Oh yeah! THEY TASTE BETTER THAN REECES TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 23:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/116/99 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 29%

yeah those things taste amazing!!! I have a question though. how can i tell if they stall me? excpecially if i just have one or 2 a week? Can I use the ketostix like an hour or something later? Caus i have heard that some people can eat sugar alcohol with no effect, I just dont know how to test to see if i do.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-05, 00:08

Stats: 234/141.8/149 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 108%

There's always someone who's a buzzkill, isn't there? ..Sorry, guys.

http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/products.htm
http://ific.org/publications/factsh...aralcoholfs.cfm

Quote:
Useful in the Diets of People with Diabetes -- Control of blood glucose, lipids and weight are the three major goals of diabetes management today. Maltitol is slowly absorbed. Therefore, when maltitol is used, the rise in blood glucose and the insulin response associated with the ingestion of glucose is significantly reduced. The reduced caloric value of maltitol (2.1 calories per gram versus 4.0 for sugar) is consistent with the objective of weight control. Products sweetened with maltitol in place of sugar may be useful in providing a wider variety of reduced-calorie and sugar-free choices to people with diabetes.
http://www.caloriecontrol.org/maltitol.html

Yep. Maltitol has HALF the calorie/carb content of SUGAR.

Sorry- but there's no such thing as a mythical, magical carb that doesn't count.

Generally speaking, if the sugar alcohols cause you gastric distress, your body is doing it's darnest to get rid of it and essentially? The bacteria in your gut is eating them up and pooping (thus the discomfort/gas/diarrhea). How's that for an appetizing thought? If you don't get the distress, you're absorbing those suckers right up.

If you're going to eat them - count them for at *least* half the carb count. Depending on the polyol you're eating, it could really be up to 75% the carb/calorie count of sugar per gram!

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. There is no such thing as a mythical magical carb that doesn't count.

But really- you could make yourself plenty of low-carb goodies AND be able to pronounce everything in them AND be safe in the knowledge that you're not just substituting bad high-carb habits for bad lower-carb habits. Low-carb junk food is still junk food.

These things absolutely have their place in our WOE - I just tend to believe it's more for pre-maintenance/maintenance when you've got your Eat-Right-Feet under you

HTH
~Brook
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 16:16
Registered Member

Stats: 240/136/150 Female 5 ft 5
BF:
Progress: 116%

you can opt for healthier desserts --- berries with a little whipped cream, yogurt w/sf syrups, etc.