Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 06:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool Sinus Infection

Ok everybody, got a stupid question that maybe somebody can answer for me....

I am prone to sinus infections - as many as 6-8 per year. Before LC'ing, I used to take hot toddies (whiskey, honey, lemon) or hot tea with honey and lemon. Also, during the day I would suck on lozenges to help out my throat.

Now, since I am so obsessed with LC'ing, I am terrified of putting something in my mouth that might trigger sugar cravings. I suffered most of the night last night without using anything and could only sip some turkey broth this morning cuz the throat hurt so much.

What can I use now to help the throat, headache, and general yukky feeling?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 07:58

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default hope youre well soon !

-- Im in the same boat - had a rough week, then 2 days ago I decided I had no option but to take my remedies..........the problem being I have great success with my ailments ( blepharitis- swollen eyelids, and otitis externa - ear-) using homeopathic remedies, which are on tiny lactose pills.

I was in a quandary, but in the end decided a couple of days I just HAD to take them. And I feel balanced enough now to reckon, well, if it does any harm weight wise, then it will. At least I wont be in this state.

But for a sore throat and cold symptoms, try dissolving soluble aspirin in water, have a good gargle with the solution, then swallow the dose. Repeat every 4 - 6 hours.

Or if you cant tolerate aspirin, regular paracetamol will at least take the worst of the pain off.
Many cold preparations and lozenges are only paracetamol dressed up after all.edit to add : for sinus especially, bit of olbas oil or similar in hot water, in a bowl then put your head over , cover with a towel, and inhale the steam. Plain steam will do.
good luck
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 09:01

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Unhappy Sick!

Sorry to hear you're sick-sinus infections are YUCCKY.

You can still have tea (just no honey) and hot showers (with lots of steam) can work wonders!

-animaldoc
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 09:44

BF:
Cool

Thanks, plum and animaldoc for your quick answers!

Got home from work yesterday with just the beginnings of the infection - hubby had the tub already filled with hot, hot water. I stayed in there as long as I could, then he poured me into bed. I slept for most of the night (with the exception of getting up to watch the Red Wings play ).

I've got a lot of meetings at work today and am trying not to talk too much (kinda hard ) to aggravate my throat. Will probably do a replay on the tub after work.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 16:16

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

I used to be prone to these myself. Most people find that LCing improves allergy problems and leaves you less prone to upper respiratory infections.

In the meantime, these are the LC solutions for sore throats that I've found. The first is to gargle with warm salt water. This doesn't help much with the soreness but kills germs like crazy and will help you recover quicker.

The second is to go to your local natural food market of health food store for herbal teas that are made for sore throats. Look for licorice root in the ingredient list. Tastes terrible but it's VERY EFFECTIVE. And carb-free. The least offensive tasting is one made by Celestial Seasonings called something like "throat-soother" with honey-lemon flavor. (No actual honey.)

Feel better soon!

Allison
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 06:13

BF:
Cool

Thanks, Allison.

Will let hubby know to pick me up some of the teas

I don't know how long it will take this LC'ing to help with the sinus/allergy stuff. I do know that most of my other maladies have decreased in symptoms immensely.

Will probably take it easy this weekend - lots of rest, box of kleenex, and a nice cup of tea. Hopefully, this will have run its course by Monday morning.

Thanks all for the tips and kind words!!!