Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#76   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 19:25

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

Ohmom: I can't wait to see how you weight loss goes. I am still doing the balancing of rm's too! I need to be more strict. When I am the weight loss just follows! I NEED TO EXERCISE TOO! I don't know why that is so hard for me. Guess when I miss a workout so many days in a row it is just like starting over and I hate starting over!!!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-05, 08:27

Stats: 250/245/200 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

What a beautiful, sunny day we are having. I went to the grocery store early before the crowds started. I also stopped at the pet store.... darn it... brought home more fish , I had a bad day yesterday with the easter chocolate but today I am going to stay away from it and work on my aquariums all day.

Sue congrats on reaching 130 lbs. You should be very proud. When I reach 199 I am going to be celebrating all day!!!!!!!!

Ohmom, can't wait to hear how you are doing.

Pre3, it doesn't matter the size. It is how you feel in that dress. I think they change the sizes around to confuse us anyways.

Everyone have a lovely Easter.

Susan
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-05, 20:42

IATEIT: My guppies just had babies. I feel like a kid I get so excited. I am not a fish expert mind you but I love my guppies. I am taking the babies to school to show the kids! They will love it! I also have a betta. I brought it home for the weekend but it will go back to school on Monday.

I got a pair of shorts at a garage sale the other day...they are size 14 also I am trying not to be uspet but be happy that I found something that looks good on. I am sorting clothes and getting rid of small clothes...sounds like I am accepting the fact that I will never lose this 10-15lbs but I am really trying to just take it slow and clean up...I think the very small sixes are just setting me up for disappointment. If I get small...and maintain it well then I will do some reward shopping.

Do you all think that is a good idea? Or am I setting myself up for failure but accepting the larger sizes?????
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-05, 08:50

Stats: 301/282/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
What do you guys eat for veggies????

I often have a veggie stir-fry with cabbage , green peppers , celery , mushrooms, tofu , soy sauce , sesame oil , and mongolian fire wok oil. Its really good and the cabbage seems to banish any constipation.

Look at it like not giving up , but like getting rid of out-dated clothes. Someone said they change the sizes to confuse us , I also believe that is true . especially women's clothing. How many men do you know that can buy jeans just by looking at the size and not tryong them on , ok how many women can do this ? 14, 8 , 10 , 12 , 6 , as long as it feels good on and you like the way it looks you'll look great .
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-05, 14:17

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Karen, don't give up!

However, I have done the same as you have. I got rid of the really small things in my wardrobe, but kept the things I can still fit into 10 lbs from now, i.e. at 120 lbs. Put them in a box in the basement for now. You never know... If it is any consolation, my weight goes up and down and up and down as well, and it is frustrating. Today I am sitting at 132 lbs. Sigh. I do know how you feel. I think getting older is sometimes about accepting a slightly higher weight (besides too skinny can look awful after age 40 - make one look really 10 years older - eek!). I think also the sizes are all wacky. I sometimes buy bigger sizes and just accept that they're actually a little smaller than they say. It is the fit that counts. Nothing makes one look fatter than trying to squeeze into a size/number too small. The baby fish sound cute. What a nice thing to do - taking them to school to show the kids.

Leysah - your stir-fry sounds yummy! I have to watch the cabbage because of my thyroid, but that usually doesn't stop me.

Happy Easter everyone!!!!
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-05, 19:39

Stats: 250/245/200 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Ohhhh bettas. I have 30 of them I also have 6 large tanks running, moderate on a fish website and am involved in my local aquarium club. I am using my hobby to keep myself busy so I don't mope around on the sofa....that gets me into trouble. If I sit, I eat.

Karen those old clothes are probably out of style get rid of them, you will deserve new ones when you reach your goal.
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-05, 21:50

Smile

That is exactly what my dd says IATEIT!!!! I wore the dress today and my dd said it looked soooo slimming! Made my day. It really does fit sooooooo well.

Sue: I have thought about that...I want to be a grandma that doesn't look too frail...can keep up with the kids and grandkids, but doen't look like she can be blown over by a strong wind!! I have a ways to go for the grandma thing (I hope) but I have actually thought about that recently! 10-15lbs isn't that much but it seems like 100lbs to me! I have seen people lost that much in a year and that is how long I have taken to lose about 5!!!!

ok enough negative talk...I am following the plan better than I have in a long time and I am going to exercise 3 times this week. IT WILL HAPPEN

Have a great night everyone...Hope you had a great EASTER!

Last edited by pre3teach : Mon, Mar-28-05 at 19:22.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 07:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/152/135 Female 64
BF:don't/wanna/know
Progress: 59%
Default Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone had a great Easter!!

I didn't do well on my diet. I don't think I went overboard or anything, but I did eat some candy and I had two RM's instead of one.

How does this work anyway? Do I just get back on the wagon?? Will I have those awful headaches again when I start? I'm not real upset about it, but I did start feeling better by day 4. The cravings were going away. My RM's weren't very balanced, but I could tell I was losing weight. I am 148.5 now. So that means a 1.5 lb loss the first week. I'm sure I may have gained that back with yesterday's screw up. But, I definately think this is the way to go with my WOE!

Pre3teach - I agree with IAteIt. Get rid of those old clothes. When you get that small again, you can always buy that size again and be in STYLE!!

Have a good day everyone!!
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 11:40
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Ohmom-
yup, just get back on plan. Try to have clean CMs and balance RMs and you'll do great. Remember it's not just a weight loss diet, but a way to rebalance your body and correct the underlying insulin resistance. That really helps me keep focused.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 14:28

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi there friends!

Karen: I just cracked up when I read your response to me. We could be "dieting sisters". I feel EXACTLY the same way you do. The 10 to 15 lbs might as well be 100 lbs for me as well - that's how far away it seems and that is how hard it is for me to lose weight too. 5 lbs in a year is not unusual for me either. Oh dear...

OhMom so glad you like the program. Oh wow, 1.5 lb loss. I think you are going to do well, now that chocolate and Easter are behind you!

Have a great day everyone!
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 21:00

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Lightbulb Hello All...

I am new to CAD and looking forward to getting to know all of you... I am delighted at rereading the CAD book...it has really helped me to troubleshoot as to why I probably have not dropped any pounds in 3 weeks... You know that old addage if you consume more calories than you burn you will gain weight or not lose weight...is just not true for some people... Also, low fat diets are extremely difficult for me because I am not satisfied with the food that I was eating... I am a SUGARHOLIC...and because of that I realize that I need to consume sweets as little as possible, so I usually do that on the weekend... But, that usually leads to a 3 day binge... With this plan I can have the food at the end of my reward meal without the surge that I feel when consumed alone...and then become a maniac... In addition, I am 45 and my hormones are seriously out of whack, although the doctors are saying no they aren't... Finding this way of eating has eliminated some of the awful anger and rage that I was having... Just wanted to say how thankful the info in the book has been for me and others who are on medication or have serious mood swings and cannot find the culprit...

TJ
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 22:53
Registered Member

Stats: 157/153/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi All,

I'm new too, but I've been reading your posts for a while before I got brave enough to jump in and start participating. Also I had to get psyched to try CAD again. This is only my third day, but I have tried it twice before and it was very successful for quite a while. Thinking back over all the diets I have tried - starting in high school and then tapering off as I reached my thirties and now into my early forties - CAD is the one that felt the best. I kept a food journal and figured out how to make it work well for me. For example, low fat cm's didn't work, and neither did snacking, even if I stuck carefully to the guidelines.

So far so good. I got a headache the first day, but today I sailed through and didn't think about food between meals. I ate a generous dinner, but all of it was healthy food and I felt very satisfied and not too full now, a few hours later. Yay! I'm happy to be back on the plan. Thanks for all the great postings, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

Karen - I love what you wrote about your new dress! I'm glad you didn't wait to reward yourself with some nice new clothes that make you feel gorgeous right now!
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 14:58

Plan: Carohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 238.5/230/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Question Hi everyone - new member

Hi, I just placed a new post in introductions and then I found all of you!

I began CAD last week - doing well so far. However I am finding the Complementry meals very rich and a bit stressful on my liver (I've had liver trouble in the past and am used to an almost vegtarian diet). But I don't want to give up the plan as I never been free I cravings till now, thats just incredible.

So what I'm thinking is: Could I supplement the Complementry meals with sugar free, carb free protien shakes instead? I know the books discourage this but thats because of the hidden sugars. My thinking is, it's high protien same thing, should be OK...

Any thoughts/suggestions?
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 23:28
Registered Member

Stats: 157/153/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi AbbyG,

Welcome! I am new to the forum myself, so hopefully other more experienced members will jump in and give you advice too. For myself, I have to be really careful about carbs sneaking into my cm's. It's like if I force my body to release insulin, then I have to have some carbs in the meal for it to work on. Otherwise it rushes every molecule of glucose out of my bloodstream and I get horrible low blood sugar.

If you really can do a no-carb, no-artificial sweetener protein drink, then why don't you give it a try and see how it works? If it doesn't, you'll find out! Also, you don't have to eat meat. How do you do with tofu, eggs, and cheese? Also, you could do low fat cm's and see how those work for you.

What I found helped me so much when I was first trying CAD was to keep a journal with everything I ate, my exercise, moods, energy level, weight, etc. Then at the end of the week when I was averaging my weekly weights, I would look it over and try to see if I could see anything that distinguished days and meals that worked really well and ones that didn't. In this way I learned what worked for me within the guidelines of the program. For myself, I need to keep my cm's quite high in fat - but you could be totally different. Most of my cm's are raw veggies, olive oil or butter, and meat, fish, poultry, eggs or cheese.

Good luck! If you're feeling this good already, it's good sign that CAD will work for you. Now you just need to fine tune it and figure out how you can feel your best.

--TwoCats
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I personally use the protein shakes when I weight lift in the morning and I don't get cravings but here is what the Hellers say on their site:

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/propow.html
Q: Can I include "protein powders" in my low-carbo meals?

A: There are almost as many different kinds of "protein powders" as there are people who buy them. We have found that in general, however, that "protein powders" contain ingredients that should NOT be included in low-carbohydrate meals. No matter what the nutrition label indicates, the ingredients spell out the important facts. Most include artificial sweeteners which can stimulate insulin release and lead to carbo cravings and/or slow or stop your weight loss*. While the nutritional label may indicate that an "average serving" is low in carbohydrates, it is not what it is the drink that counts, but what it does in your body. So if it tastes sweet, in any way, it will almost certainly signal your body that you are consuming carbos (even when you are not) and your body will release insulin. In addition, some "protein powders" contain different forms of free glutamate. Even if a food or drink indicates that it does not contain "MSG" (monosodium glutamate), it can still contain free glutamate which may cause the same cravings and slow down your weight loss as much as MSG.**

If you are on any of the Carbohydrate Addict's Programs, we strongly encourage you to avoid "protein powders" and other strangely concocted, patented, or manufactured products. On our programs, you will do best when sticking to "real foods". Avoid drinks, mixes, and the like that contain ingredients that are not found in nature - your body was not meant to handle the latest chemical mix from the lab. Take the time to fix yourself real food. You are worth it!
Closed Thread