Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 08:41

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Medical ppl. What is EO% (Hematology)?Eosinophils!

Normal range is 5 to 10, mine apparently is low at 2. (Shows up in the abnormal column)

In case anyone is interested, I found some information.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/eosinophils.htm

Quote:
Eosinophils, ('eosin' = the name of a red dye, 'phil' = loving) stain red under the microscope because they are full of little packages of poisonous chemicals (toxins) and these show as microscopic granules which stain red. Eosinophils gather wherever there is a parasite infection or an allergic reaction such as allergic asthma, and then release their toxins. The toxins are very efficient at harming parasites, but unfortunately will also harm us if released in the wrong place. So the lining of the lungs becomes damaged in asthma, and one of the most important purposes of asthma treatment is to prevent this damage.
Maybe this explains why I can mow the lawn with no problem...

ALL RIGHT!!
Quote:
My eosinophil count is zero. Does this mean I am ill?
Not at all. In healthy people there are so few eosinophils in the blood that it can happen that the person counting the cells under a microscope does not find any. Nowadays we mostly use machines for this work, and the machines normally cannot count eosinophils at all. So the printed blood report seems to say there are none, but this is meaningless.

I do not know whether there is such a thing as a medical condition in which eosinophils are truly absent. I am certainly not aware of anyone being ill as a result.

In fact a low or zero eosinophil count, if it has been done by a human being instead of a machine, is a good sign. It argues against severe forms of diseases which raise the eosinophil count, including the kind of allergy which can raise the count. Far from being a sign of illness, it could be a sign of good health.

This also may explain my grandmother's asthma. She has/had malaria. Not sure of the tense as I understand you can't get rid of it?

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Mon, Nov-06-06 at 09:05.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 09:11

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

My BASO% also shows up in the abnormal column with 0. Range being 1 to 2.

Quote:
Basophils, ('baso' = alkali, 'phil' = loving) stain blue under the microscope because they are full of little granules containing histamine which are involved in some allergic reactions. The granules are acidic and combine with the blue alkaline (basic) dye in the mixture of dyes normally used for making blood cells show clearly under the microscope.
Basophils release the histamine when such an allergic reaction happens. Antihistamines are medicines which prevent histamine from having the effects which make us ill, and they work well in hay fever and most kinds of hives or 'urticaria'. Basophils are very similar to another kind of cell, the mast cell, which does not live in the bloodstream but in the lungs, nose, skin, gut, heart and other organs and is important in allergy. Both kinds of cell release histamine in allergic reactions. Unfortunately they also release quite a lot of other things which are rather similar to histamine in their effects. But antihistamines don't work against these other substances. This means that antihistamines may not make much difference to some allergic illnesses. For example antihistamines help asthma so little that we usually don't use them for asthma. In anaphylactic reactions (anaphylaxis) antihistamines are utterly inadequate on their own if the reaction is at all serious.

My MONO# also shows up in abnormal column at 0, though the range is shown as 0 to 1.

Quote:
Monocytes, ('mono' = single, 'cytes' = cells) have a nucleus of just one blob under the microscope, which is how they get their name, although this isn't too logical, as lymphocytes also have a one-blob nucleus. Their job is a bit similar to that of neutrophils, but they belong to a group of cell types which break up foreign particles and substances for the lymphocytes, which can then handle the recognition of the small fragments.