Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 08:44

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Keep in mind that the life expectancy of people before the advent of agriculture 15,000 years ago rarely reached or exceeded 40, so their risk of developing the so-called diseases of civilization is unknown.

I don't believe a word of it. Show me the evidence.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 09:03

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Here's the thing about the idea that we had to endure long periods of no food. We knew exactly what to do - prepare excess food for long-term preservation. I mean, were we that dumb that we hadn't yet figured that out? Jebus, even dumb animals do it and we've always been smarter than them.

Taubes talks about the Pima and how they had large food caches with which they supplied the 49'ers (or whatever number of those gold prospectors). They didn't invent that. That knowledge got passed down by oral tradition through hundreds if not thousands of generations. Even if it's just 100 generations, that's 2,500 years. To get to 15k years, we need 500 generations. Is that so farfetched for this kind of knowledge to have been developed at that point? Consider that Sumerian texts contain all of that knowledge and then some, some 6k to 8k years ago, and they are not the oldest known civilization.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 09:31

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
But is it practical? How many people trying to get the kids off to school in the morning and themselves ready for work will take the time to broil salmon? What will they do when they dine out, especially in someone else’s home? And most important of all, can they stay on the diet indefinitely and live happily without a piece of bread, cracker or, heaven forfend, a serving of ice cream?

I realize Ms. Brody will never read this response, but in case it might benefit someone out there: 1. Refrigerators. I don't care that much for salmon myself, but cook big batches of meals and freeze, refrigerate? Reheat? I'm sure she's heard that idea before in the context of other diet plans. 2. Other people don't control what goes into my mouth. Not at their restaurant or their home. My health and my food choices are my responsibility and that doesn't change even if others for their own convenience and comfort level try to pressure me to think it should. The consequences for poor choices are mine not theirs to pay so not giving them that sort of power over me. 3. Most important of all, she says? Yes, if you truly feel unable to give up ice cream or bread, that's something you'd do well to be aware of. Just like if you truly can't give up that adult beverage habit or other substances more quickly identified with addiction. And yes, Ms. Brody even though you'll never see this, I am happily living life without those things. Crackers and bread? Don't even seem like real food anymore.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 11:33

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Jane Brody was definitely one of the low-fat gurus. She also had a popular bread recipe book - I know because I had it! She's getting up there in years too. These newfangled food ideas are just too much for her, I suspect.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 12:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy

Quote:
Based on Neolithic and Bronze Age data, the total life expectancy at 15 would not exceed 34 years.[14] Based on the data from modern hunter-gatherer populations, it is estimated that at 15, life expectancy was an additional 39 years (total 54), with a 0.60 probability of reaching 15

So--making extrapolation from Neolithic and Bronze Age data, life expectancy is less than 34 years--seen in the quote below, neolithic life expectancy total once they'd reached the age of 15 is 28-33.

Going from that modern hunter gatherer data Cordain etc. work from--a total of 54 years life expectancy if you managed to get through the first 15 doesn't sound impressive to modern ears. But go to that wikipedia page and find anybody doing much better before modern times.

Quote:
Based on Early Neolithic data, total life expectancy at 15 would be 28–33 years

Adding neolithic foods to paleo foods and calling it "Mediterranean"--that should work.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 05:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Getting kids off to school--set your priotities.

My kids had a good breakfast, and it wasnt cold cereal. Yes for a time oatmeal, but now more often leftover dinner or eggs. Or a small steak. My kids dont wake up hungry and starving for food. As teens they usually eat breakfast 10am-12, sometimes earler but not usually.

Teaching kids to cook is important. As teens, they can cook meals. I take them food shopping with me, they prep foods, put away foods, cut and chop, and still learning.

It is about priorities. Is a long healthy life important? Selecting and eating quality foods are worth teaching to the next generaltion.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 10:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I blame Jane Brody personally for me becoming fat in my mid-thirties when I returned to the US and read the NYT and for the struggle with weight gain ever since. I dont read her crap without getting angry so didn't bother with this stupid piece until...

saw this re-post of Dr. Eades 2007 article about her.
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/200...ed-cholesterol/

and a Tucker Goodrich update: http://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/20...k-times-on.html and more