Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 08:52

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I clicked the link and saw it was a closed group. I didn't realize my sister was signed in on FB before I clicked 'join', so y'all have an extra request. She might like it. It aggravates me that she signs in on the computer and then leaves w/o logging out from FB. sigh.
I would like to send you a friend request. Which Janet are you?

Last edited by CallmeAnn : Sat, Feb-06-16 at 09:01.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 10:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sorry Anne, I have Zero friends on FB...I hate the intrusiveness of its Data Mining. Only joined because the local group switched from emails to FB. My profile there is so private it is not even my actual name but I'm Julia Young. My surname is very unusual and thus trackable, so not available anywhere on-line.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Sorry Anne, I have Zero friends on FB...I hate the intrusiveness of its Data Mining. Only joined because the local group switched from emails to FB. My profile there is so private it is not even my actual name but I'm Julia Young. My surname is very unusual and thus trackable, so not available anywhere on-line.

Ok, so no friend request. The main thing is to be able to identify the thread.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-16, 05:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Those are PermaLinks...click on it and it will go right to the post and comments referred to.

Since they opened the group to any LCer, you will see lots of "advice" from people who are clueless about his clinic program, and sometimes clueless about LC. Be cautious about what you read there.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-16, 05:53

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Since they opened the group to any LCer, you will see lots of "advice" from people who are clueless about his clinic program, and sometimes clueless about LC. Be cautious about what you read there.

I agree with Janet on the extreme variability of the advice you find in the FB group. Not only do some people give very bad advice, there are even people who will get angry if someone suggests that what they are saying goes against Dr Westman's plan. I occasionally post there if I believe I have something helpful to add but it is not a place I go for advice. It is much too variable.

Jean
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-16, 10:23

Default finally back under 200

So, this morning, Steve's FBG was 180. How much of a factor is stress? He is a shell of his former self, due to crushing work stress. I know from reading the case studies in Dr. B's book that fatigue is a common complaint with diabetes but I thought that was for those who are having hypo episodes. He just stays tired all the time. Granted, he is 57 and has to work roughly 9 to 9 most days of the week, but we can't tell how much each thing contributes to the problem. He asked me what I thought was the reason for the fatigue. It broke my heart to have to tell him that this is one more thing to the illness's toll on his quality of life.

He set up his weights in the house so he doesn't have to contend with the cold garage. I had forgotten about the weights, in relation to his lower sugar, this morning because he didn't lift at all last night. Does resistance exercise improve our sugars in a general way or does it correspond in a workout night/lower in the morning kind of pattern? Night before last, when he did it, his strength was greatly diminished. He had trouble pressing 150 lbs., when usually, 200 to 250 is more his speed.

On a decidedly TMI note, the most personal of personal symptoms was improved the other night for the first time in a long time. I tried to gently point to that for some extra encouragement. You would think that would be all it would take.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-16, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: LC Mediteranian, Dr. Fung
Stats: 210/175/155 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 64%

IMHO:
Research supports a combination of cardio and resistance as being essential to improving diabetes. Aerobic and anaerobic exercise work different muscle types.

Muscles are twitch rated.
  • Slow twitch
  • Fast twitch
  • Super-Fast twitch
and all need to workout to be the healthiest.
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) a couple of days a week can bring great results with a minimum of time.

A short walk after a meal also burns off some of the blood sugar.

If I had to rate what's important:
  1. 80% Diet (cut out the grains, sugars & processed foods)
  2. 20% Exercise
  3. 20% 7 - 8 hours sleep per night
  4. 10% Stress reduction
Hope this helps..
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-16, 17:26

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Give it more time. 180 is progress! I had a1c of 12 (fasting BG 256) at diagnosis. I started with Dr Bernstein and metformin that day. I can't remember how long it took to get below 200, but I remember it seemed to take forever to get below 150. However, at 3 months in, my a1c was 5.7. I did reduce protein in the morning especially which helped too. I am 52 so not much younger than your husband. Don't give up yet. 2-3 weeks is early days still.

I would recommend reading Dr B about glipizide and basal insulin. I became convinced I would rather use insulin than glipizide if it had come to that. Discuss with doctor what alternatives there are, if you haven't already.

Also, energy is not necessarily always going to be low. My understanding is if BG is high, insulin levels are high preventing you from accessing stored energy aka fat. As Insulin levels come down, fat/energy access goes up. Becoming fat adapted for energy takes time. Salt also affects energy. If I am feeling really draggy, I will just lick a sprinkle of salt off my hand. I feel better in less than 15 mins usually.

Last edited by Mycie14 : Thu, Feb-11-16 at 17:37.