Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-12, 15:52

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 182/162/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default looking for answers

I am a relatively healthy 31 year old female. I have spent the last 3.5 years of my life either pregnant, nursing, or pregnant AND nursing. After the birth of my second son in October 2011 I decided I was going to dedicate myself to finding the right way to eat and losing weight. I wanted to lose 30 pounds. I dropped almost all 30 fairly easily by going low carb (paleo, but with some dairy.) Then around May of this year, I stalled out on the weight loss. I have since gained some weight back and am stalled out. Around April I started experiencing intense mood swings and terrible depression that coincided with my cycle (I got my period back at 5 months PP with #2). I feel good, and then great up until I ovulate, at which point I crash. The crash is horrible. There are always a string of days where I don't feel able to function and I am sure any little stress is going to send me over the edge. My skin is ridiculously dry even when I slather lotion on it. I am foggy and my memory is terrible. I never really feel rested and if I do it never lasts long. People tell me I just need to get some exercise and fresh air and sunshine, and I want to scream because I just don't have the energy.

I have completely overhauled the way I eat this year. I have cut out processed foods. I do not eat gluten. My food journey this year has caused me to realize I probably have a gluten sensitivity so that's gone for good. I severely limit my sugar intake. I drink coffee, but it's decaf.

I had my midwife do some blood work and a hormone panel, because I didn't know the right questions to ask and I didn't want to go to a doctor who would just wave me off. My adrenals are stressed (high cortisal and DHEA) and my T3 (total) was low. My midwife said the other thyroid levels were low, though within the normal range. Sadly she left town before I was able to actually get a copy of my results.

What do I do? How do I move forward? I want to cry with frustration. I can't live this way. I feel so frustrated at my own inability to cope with my life.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-12, 16:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Best place to start is reading up on the proper thyroid tests to get: http://stopthethyroidmadness.com

Total T3 isn't really all that great of a test. Can you contact the midwife and get all your test results emailed or snail-mailed?

Recommended lab work:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.co...mended-labwork/

Sorry you're feeling so crummy.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-12, 17:15

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 182/162/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Nancy. Yes, I found Stop The Thyroid Madness. As soon as my midwife gets back in town on the 14th I am going to ask her to mail my results over. Meanwhile I am looking for a good doctor...