Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-12, 08:42

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%
Default Help -- lab results for thyroid and cortisol

Anyone with knowledge and experience dealing with thyroid and/or adrenal issues -- Please help me interpret these results so that when I visit my doc in August I will be well forearmed with all the info I need to hopefully convince him to treat my symptoms and not just dismiss them because the TSH is "normal"!

By the way I have read Stop the Thyroid Madness but it is confusing to me...possibly because of the thyroid-fogged brain syndrome .

Here are the thyroid test results:

TSH....1.41
Free T4.....1.2
Free T3.....2.8

the reference ranges are listed as 0.40 - 4.50.

Here is my 24 hour saliva cortisol test results:

DHEA....6.1
Cortisol Morning.....4.1
Cortisol Noon........1.2
Cortisol evening.....0.8
Cortisol night.........0.8

there are two little charts underneath that shows that my DHEA is right in the average range, but the cortisol is at the very bottom of the low range. Other than that, no explanation.

So do all these results mean what I think they mean...I have free t3 and free t4 in the low range and the cortisol is also in the low range? I want to be very clear with my doctor if he says "you are normal" and I have to emphasize that just because my results technically fall in the normal range, they may still be too low and should be treated!

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-12, 19:32

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Hey girlbug2, I don't have a history of thyroid testing, in fact I'm still trying to find a doctor who won't mind#$%^ me into believing it's all in my head/my own fault.

However I have found a couple of things:
Your TSH, like mine, is in the normal range. Means nothing alone.
Your free t4/t3 are at the low end of normal - remember these horrid reference ranges don't mean you're 'Healthy' they are just a reference point so you can see if it's wildly out of control.

The cortisol, I could not for the life of me find reference ranges on the internet. I think you'll have to call the lab who did your tests and ask for their ranges.
Just from what little knowledge I have, your morning cortisol seems very low. It's supposed to be at the top of the range of 3.5-27 first thing in the morning, then slide down through the day until being at the bottom of the range at night.

I can't really find anything to tell you about DHEA either, you don't say what the unit of measurement is? If you call the lab to get your reference range, it'll give you an idea.

But regardless, if your doctor gives a hoot, they'll have a good look at these results, not just blow through them reading out whatever the lab jotted down. And even if EVERY test falls into the normal range, they should NOT proclaim you a healthy hypochondriac and send you home.

Your list of symptoms was bad enough to drive you to a doctor and submit to tests, so the doc should be looking at WHERE in the range your results fall to diagnose you.

Lab results don't help nearly as much as listening to the patient's symptoms and adjusting treatment by FEEL.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-12, 09:03

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Your cortisol looks pretty good, actually...it's supposed to be highest in the morning and lowest in the evening (your four times panel shows this). Your morning cortisol is not at the 'bottom of the lowest range' your evening and night IS and should be.

You have ONE lab range for all the thyroid results? Shouldn't be.

If you'll give the ranges used for YOUR particular tests (each one) than that will give a clue.

If your regular doctor doesn't DO thyroid, than you'll have to find one to assess those tests. There are a lot of good thyroid doctors, but most of us who are adequately treated are travelling to see ours..in my case it was two HOURS one way. They aren't lowcost either.

It would help if you gave your symptoms (or why you think you have thyroid disease..and if it's just weighloss..than it's probably NOT thyroid..most of us even with adequate replacement have to be stricter than strict to lose weight).

And keep in mind that perimenopause and menopause cause almost the same symptoms as thyroid disease.

I don't see a TPO AB test there. Did they do one? (it shows Hashimoto's autoimmune hypothyroidism).

I see you are in So. Cali...there are a few really good thyroid docs in your state. You can get on STTM.com and look at the list. Most don't take insurance (just like in my area).

If you want a FT4, fT3 you could get one utilizing the online places (also listed at STTM.com)

Yep, doctors SHOULD but most DON'T as we've found out in the last 20 or so years. This is WHY STTM was created, to point men and women to the right places for the correct treatment. Best of luck to you.