Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-06, 22:27
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowyoucan
Hi,
I was inquiring via google about a symptom I have had in my left little finger, and was introduced to your general health site, where I found some great information.
So, I popped a sublingual B-12, am watching my left elbow closely, as I notice my tendency to put it on the desk when I am doing a lot of mosue work with my right hand. And, I am optimistic.
Based on that and the conversation in general, I looked at the site, and it looks like it will be a great resource
I have been around a couple times with Atkins, and have decided to get serious for the holidays.
So far so good.

If it's a potential B-12 deficiency, and you get the high-potency supplements, you'll notice an improvement in a matter of days. Skip a few supplements, and you'll start feeling the numbness/tingling again.

I wouldn't have known about the B-12 if it hadn't been for a routine blood test during a physical - my doc said my red blood cells were slightly immature and larger than they should be, hence her suspicion that I was slightly B-12 deficient.

If the B-12 doesn't help, consider getting your blood sugar tested, you want to make sure it isn't diabetic neuropathy. Other than that, it could be a problem with your neck or back, and the nerve pain transferring to your hands and feet - in this case, a muscle relaxant and/or an anti-inflammatory will help the situation, along with physical therapy if needed.

Hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-06, 00:37

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TariLuinwe
I have been having numbness alternating with tingling in my left pinky finger for the past three days. I know it could be from a multitude of things (i.e. pinched nerve, vitamin deficiency, poor circulation, etc), but I am taking supplements, eating right, drinking lots of water (gallon a day). I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

It's getting really annoying because of the constant tingle/numbness. It almost feels cold at times. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tari

I get it sometimes, and in my case it is a pinched nerve, specifically in the elbow area. I have found that it gets worse when I overwork my triceps. Something gets inflamed and swells up a bit and pinches the nerve.

If I do some stretches for my forearm muscles I get some relief.. Advil also helped in my case.

Does stretching you arm help?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-06, 12:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/240/210 Male 71
BF:
Progress:
Default Arm stretching

I just read your reply, Arie, and I plan to try the arm strectching when I am doing repetitive mouse work with the right hand, and the left arm has a tendency to place my elbow on the desk. I suspect that is at least part of my problem. I'll just have to remember to stretch the right one on other occasions, so I will stay symetrical.
Congrats on your progress. Inspiring!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-06, 12:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/240/210 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Citruskiss for your feedback. Think I'll double up on the B-12 for a couple days, just for a test.

I'll keep you posted.

Shawn
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-06, 14:59

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I noticed that in winter or when I'm stressed out, I sleep in a tight fetal position with elbows bent so that my forearms touch my upper arms. My whole hands and most of my arms will be tingly when I wake up and for a long time thereafter. Sometimes consciously going to sleep with my arms straight will work, but other times I have put tensor bandages (or backwards knee braces) on my elbows to keep my arms straight while I sleep.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 09:00

Plan: Atkins/GOODHEALTH
Stats: 165/140/130 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but...

I've been experiencing the same sort of semi-numbness on my left pinky, except the bigger problem's been difficulty in curling the pinky itself -- I have to make a fairly conscious effort or else I can't close it into my palm all the way. When it began on Friday, I was still able to curl it easily but it was painful to do so. Now it's still a little painful to start, but it definitely doesn't feel natural to do so any longer. Also got occasional pain on the muscles on my arm (which I assume are the ones associated w/ my fingers).

Does my condition still fit that of ulnar nerve compressions, or could it be something completely different?

As a side note my left foot/knee seems to be a little affected as well, though that could be more signs that I'm leaning over to the left (or another thing that's just in my mind). Could also just be my bad knee coming back again. Also have been having a little stiffness on the left side of the neck recently.

Last edited by muumuu : Mon, Feb-05-07 at 09:20.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-10, 15:52

Plan: none
Stats: 135/135/160 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress:
Default This just happened to me

(I know this is a very old thread that's been dredged up more than once, but oh well)

I noticed this for the first time today, and it hasn't gone away within minutes like it normally would when a limb falls asleep. My left pinky finger and the finger next to it, along with the portion of my hand below those two fingers has that pins and needles feeling that you get when a body part falls asleep. I work from home, usually from a laptop on my bed, and usually while leaning on my left elbow.

The last few to several days my neck and shoulders have been killing me, and today I woke up with this numbness in my fingers, so I suspect it's a pinched nerve or a kink in my neck or something along those lines. Came to this site following Google search results. Guess I'm going to have to try and avoid laying on my elbow but it's going to be hard since that's the most comfortable position for me.

Since the tingly problem, along with the pain in my neck/back are apparently inflammation related, I'm going to take some Prednisone for a few days (5mg 2x daily) and see if that helps speed things up. I'm sure just changing my behavior will suffice, but I need some relief asap.