Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 23:19
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 185/179/145
BF:
Progress: 15%
Question Insulin pump user

Just started the program and found out that just becuase I am not consuming carbs, I dont have to bolus. The large amounts of protein and fat are requiring insuline. Would welcome advice from anyone on pump or multiple injections.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 10:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Kelly, welcome aboard

I'm not diabetic myself, but am a RN with some general knowledge about insulin, injections & pumps. First, let me say I'm glad you're starting a low-carb diet ... you will find in time that your blood sugars will be easier to manage. Is your doctor knowledgeable about LC'ing? That would be helpful too.

Although the insulin pump is more convenient and accurate in terms of dosage & administration, you still require meticulous blood glucose monitoring to keep things under control (I know you know that, I'm just stating for the benefit of others reading this .. just to dispell the myth that an insulin pump somehow monitors the blood sugar, and automatically injects a dose of insulin in response)

While Atkins is the gold-standard in low-carb diets, and is very helpful for diabetics to lose weight and to stabilize blood sugars, I believe that your situation will need even tighter control than that. I strongly urge you to get your hands on a copy of "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars". Dr. Bernstein is a Type 1 diabetic ... was an engineer until his 40's, when he began to succumb to complications while following the standard 50%-carb rule of standard diabetic diets. He began meticulous research and study, and ultimately became a M.D. devoted to research and treatment of diabetes using low-carb diet and tight blood sugar control. He has reversed the complications he experienced, and now has lowered cholesterol and triglycerides, normal kidney function and improved eyesight. You may be able to borrow the book from your library, but I think that after one day you will want to go out and buy your own copy to have forever. .

He also has a website, .. http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/ .. A few chapters from his book are published online, so you might want to check that out. Unfortunately, the chapters discussing insulin and blood sugar monitoring are not posted. There's also a list of articles that Dr. Bernstein has published in various medical journals, check them out here.

On the subject of post-prandial blood sugar rise, yes, protein can cause a rise in blood sugar as you've noted. This will lessen as your body adjusts to being in ketosis (note, not the same thing at all as ketoacidosis) and insulin receptors become more sensitive. Fat does not affect blood sugar at all, this is well-documented in medical literature. Fat can slow the absorption of carbohydrate from the digestive tract, and so has a slight potential to reduce the glycemic effect of the carbs.

Exercise will also improve the sensitivity of your insulin receptors ... so you might want to look into starting a routine if you haven't already.

Hope this has been helpful,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 10:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution:

Just another mention ... in the chapters discussing insulins, he mostly focusses on injectables, not the pump. However the principles remain the same, and the need for meticulous blood glucose monitoring is just as vital.

Doreen