Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 13:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Thumbs up

A friend and I went to En (Japanese restaurant at Granville and 10th). Terrific place, but the Portabella Mushroom etc. was especially a knockout. The items are layered on a portabella mushroom and the whole covered with a wonderfull egg yolk sauce. Looked a perfect recipe for low carbers. I'm not sure how to make the egg sauce. It was intensely eggy and buttery. Maybe a hollandaise without the lemon? Maybe Karen can give advice on making that part. And the then whole put under a broiler? I highly recommend this restaurant. I've been meaning to go for ages as I live nearby and pass it every weekend. Definitely will be going back. The crusty oysters were also fabulous. Not sure what the crust was. Probably something lowcarbers are not supposed to eat, but it was a very, very thin crust.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 13:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation LIZ !!

Aaaarrggh!

Oh, I read the message header. YUMM ... I salivated and drooled all over my keyboard ... my shaking fingers clicked open the message..............

THERE'S NO RECIPE! Just a tantalizing, teasing description of something I couldn't possibly create on my own...... and whoop-de-doo, I'm stuck here in Ontario, private jet is disabled ... Bwaaa-haa-haaa ..

You are so cruel. *LOL*

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 17:16

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Well, it doesn't sound too hard to make...

I guess take 1 portabella mushroom, remove the stem, place a slice of tomato or 2 slices of sun dried tomato, then some thin slices of brie. Put it under the broiler until the cheese melts, and then top with the sauce:

1 Cup butter at room temperature
3 Tbsp water
3 egg yolks
salt
white pepper

Cut butter into 1" pieces. In a small, heavy saucepan add 2 tablespoons water and reduce over high heat to about 1 tablespoon. Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon cold water. Beat egg yolks lightly and whisk into water. Over low heat, whisk the butter - one piece at a time - making sure that each piece of butter is melted before adding more. Continue to whisk the sauce until it is thick. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 8 servings. .1 carb per serving.

The mushroom plus the sauce would yield around 4.7 g that's using 1 thick slice of tomato and 1oz of brie per mushroom. Portabella's are high in carbs compared to the other mushrooms out there.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 17:26

BF:
Default Thanks Cocoa8

I knew someone out there would know how to make the sauce. And sorry Doreen. Guess I was a bit skimpy on the 'how to'. the portabella was about 4 inches across. My friend and I were sharing dishes so had half of the mush dish, but that was enough because it tasted so-o rich. What a delight it was. I had a small sake as well. I wonder what the carb count is on that?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-01, 20:42

BF:
Default Cocoa8's egg sauce recipe. I'm confused

I got lost after the cut up 1 c. of butter. Then 2 tbsp of water in pan, reduced to one tbsp? Can't be the butter that's reduced. Why reduce water? Sorry to be so stupid, but I must be missing something.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-01, 22:06

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I found this at some other site, so I can't really help much. Sorry. I thought that was odd too after reading it. I think there is an ingredient missing that is suppose to reduce with the water. maybe lemon juice??
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-01, 19:12

BF:
Default Must have been a hollandaise

It didn't taste lemony at all, but definitely egg and butter. So here's a hollandaise from The New Basics Cookbook (Rosso & Lukins)

8 tbsp unsalted butter
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (though that could be eliminated or reduced I think)
salt and white pepper

1. Melt butter in small saucepan. Set aside to cool to room temp.
2. Bring bottom of double boiler to boil. Then lower heat so water is hot but not boiling.
3. Mix egg yolks (and lemon juice, or not) in top of double boiler and whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in butter in a slow , 4. steady stream. Add s and p. Continue whisking until sauce is thick. Serve immed. 1 cup