Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#136   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Right now I'm thinking I want to be "in" on this too. I guess the one thing holding me back is that I *hate* to weigh, measure and track my food. I've done it, but it takes so much of the pleasure out of eating that it almost is enough to make me go off plan.

Debbie, I do know what you mean, but just as we had to weigh and measure when we first began the LC WOE, we have to weigh and measure now, but just for now. I no longer need to weigh my egg yolks - I know that three of them weigh 1.5 ounces and are 6g protein. In just a month I've also developed an eagle eye for how much of a pork chop is really 3 ounces, and that's about half the size I thought it was when I began.

Quote:
I'm one of those who loses a bunch initially, and then hits a *brick wall* even though I still have tons more to lose. I have only lost one pound in the last month, which is damned slow for someone who is still almost 300 pounds, and is being strict about LC.

Then I'll guess that OD will truly suit you. I don't know how much faster you'll lose scale weight, but I can tell you the stored body fat loss will be amazing.

Quote:
I love to make my own chocolate treats where I melt some 85% dark chocolate with a tbsp of coconut oil, a few tbsp of butter, a few tbsp of almond butter or sesame tahini. Pour into those paper cupcake liners and chill. A wonderful treat, and lots of fat there! I used to add a couple scoops of whey protein to these to make them "healthier" (e.g. more protein) but maybe I'll just have to stop that.

Two notes: Yes, you will have to stop adding the whey - but more importantly - you'll need to let yourself eat the entire batch in one go or one day instead of over time. Your recipe is a great 'single' treat.

Quote:
It does seem like guys are able to eat more protein than women and still lose, like Richard Nicoley of the "Free the Animal" blog, who seems to eat huge slabs of meat all the time and is doing great on it. I don't think *I* can do that.

Some day someone is going to come up with some reason why women's hormones matter as much in weight loss as carbs. Until then, I can only watch my tall skinny son eat an entire chicken or two pounds of sausage for dinner - and drool.

Quote:
But it also seems that details about the Optimal Diet are scarce. Lisa seems to have lots of great details. I want her for my Guru too! If the mods are willing to spin off an Optimal Diet thread she can be our guide.

From your lips to the Mods ears.

Quote:
I'm still befuddled a bit. One poster (sorry, not sure who said what here) posted a ratio of protein/fats/carbs based on your goal weight in kg - ratios of 1kg/1.5-3.5kg/.5-.8kg . With my goal weight of 73 kg that would make my protein/fat/carb intake: 73g/109-255g/36.5-58.4g

A common misperception (I made the same mistake myself) is that you get to 'choose' your goal weight. You don't. It's based on your 'due' weight - which is the slim weight those charts say you should weigh. It's interesting that my 'due' weight exactly matches Barry Groves' formula for protein: 1g for each kilo of your LEAN body mass, not what you actually weigh. My lean mass happens to be what the charts say I should weigh: 127 pounds. I don't necessarily want to weigh that, but I'm following the plan as if I do and will stop and go into maintenance as soon as I get to the 140 I'd like to weigh.

Furthermore, the OD treats fat and carb amounts (for the first month) differently for the 'obese' as he does for those who want to follow the plan for optimal health. Protein/fat ratios are closer to 1: 1.5. But if you give me your age, weight in kilos and height in centimeters, I'll plug the numbers in and get you the beginning stats.

Quote:
Though I have certain had protein days as low or lower than 73g, and I worried I was not getting enough as I was well below the values recommended by Protein Power, and I do *love* the Eades.

Much as I respect the Eades, they simply have not tackled the issue of excess protein as a reason for some people's stall - and have insisted that as you approach goal weight you must lower calories. I believe this is not only wrong, it's 180 degrees wrong from the fact that if there is no biological reason to count calories on LC when you are 100 pounds overweight, there is still no biological reason to count calories on LC when you are 10 pounds overweight. Hopefully at some point, and despite having built their careers on protein, they will recognize and admit this.

Quote:
I'm still not sure if there are restrictions at all on *types* of fats, the types of carbs you eat, etc.

The more fat is saturated, the better. The carbs aren't many, but Dr. K would argue to stay away as much as possible from fructose, and that starch/glucose carbs are actually (in the presence of enough fat and few proteins) good for us. See my other posts in this regard.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriftyD
I hope I can go back to eating my meat when I reach goal! One of the things I love so much about Paleo is that I get to eat loads of meat.

Honestly? Those days are probably over, assuming that if you lose all that weight, you won't want to put it back on again. Ditto for reaching goal weight and thinking you can eat loads of carbs again. The good news is that you'll always be able to eat a moderate amount of protein, and a ton of fat without ever gaining back an ounce.

Quote:
I suppose I can try counting the hog jowls as 3 or 4 slices of bacon each to try to suss out the protein/fat

If you go to www.nutritiondata.com and plug in pork belly, raw (fattier than bacon) you'll get the 'per oz' numbers. Assuming you eat all the fat drippings as well as the 'meat' - and of course assuming that you weigh the raw jowl before cooking and eating - you'll know exactly how much protein/fat you've consumed.

Lisa
  #138   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:06

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Lisa,
Thanks for all the research and posting you've been doing about this! You're a jewel!

In your research of Dr. K's plan, what is the general thought regarding alcohol? Abstinence or moderation as a general rule? (I'm not talking large amounts - just a glass or two a week.)
  #139   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
I would love to try this also, if I can figure out what to eat.

Karen, I hope by now you've gotten lots of food options from this thread. If you need more, let me know.

Quote:
Stalled for a year - stalled at 20-30 pounds above goal - describes me to a "T" too. Complicating things is I'm diabetic, so I worry about keeping the carbs down enough to keep my blood sugar down. There's never going to be a climb up the carb ladder for me. But I eat a LOT of protein (last night my entree was a huge steak and my side with that was some rotisserie chicken - LOL!) and if that's converting to glucose, then I'm not eating as LC as I think I am.

Nor are you, according to Dr. K, helping your diabetes much. Upping your fat/calories a lot, while eating the right amount of low carb (just enough to keep you out of ketosis) and probably cutting your protein consumption in half will truly help you become more insulin sensitive. And yes, your post indicates that it's the high protein, low fat/calories that have you stalled exactly where you are.

Quote:
there tends to be a difference in opinion between Eades and Bernstein on how much protein can and should be eaten. (Eades much higher)

Really? With a career built on Protein Power?

Quote:
I've tended to go with Eades, since his was the answer I liked better. Denial is more than just a river in Egypt.

Been there, done that. Will no doubt visit again.

Quote:
For the past few months, I've been trying to get the calories way down, and Fitday tells me I'm eating on average
Calories 1,387
Fat 92.9g 59 %
Carbohydrate 42.4g (net 29) 11 %
Protein 111.5g 30 %

Even with the calories this low, I haven't been losing.

Nope. Nor will you. Aside from the fact that you're eating about a third of the fat you need, and twice the amount of protein -- your body thinks you're living on a desert island and starving. Since it cares far more about survival than your mirror, it will continue to produce more insulin than you need so it can store more of what you do eat as fat. This is not a good cycle to be in. Were you able to download the Calculus Victus onto your computer so you can see what nutrient proportions will work for you?

Lisa
  #140   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:25
Registered Member

Quote:
My only PC is a laptop that has a very smallish hard drive, and it is almost full - that is my C-drive, so I had to buy a 320G external drive to connect to it, and any new software MUST go on this external drive.

Geekette to the rescue!

Although it sounds like you need to do a thorough cleaning and re-compress of your hard drive, that can wait for another day.

1: Get thee to your nearest computer store and spend less than ten bucks on a thumb (flash) drive. For that price these days you should get about half a gigabyte.

2: Stick the flash drive into any USB port on your laptop. Move a ton of data from the laptop to the drive. Think of this as an extra backup.

3: Install calulator program. Plug in your numbers. Write them down.

4: Uninstall program. Put back in any data or programs you moved to the flash drive.

Mission Accomplished.

Lisa
  #141   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
thought I'd mention that the protein from vegetable sources (nuts etc.) shouldn't be counted according to Kwas, due to the fact the body can't make good use of them.

I'm not really sure about that. Here's a direct quote:

"In a mixed diet, a deficiency of an amino acid in one protein is made up by its abundance in another; such proteins are described as complementary; eg., the protein of wheat and beans combined provides a satisfactory amino acid intake. Under such circumstances, a greater total amount of protein must he consumed to satisfy requirements."

You might interpret that to read that in a 'mixed diet' (eating fruit/veg as well as pork and eggs and other 'high quality' protein) you can subtract the fruit/veg numbers from your protein totals - but the complementary aspect gives me pause. Since I don't want to get down to counting amino acids in my food, I'd rather just count everything and rely instead on the +/- 10% the diet allows -- if I really feel I need it, and if that extra amount doesn't derail the scale weight loss.

Quote:
you CAN go too low in protein and lose muscle. Also bear in mind that Kwas's recommendations for athletes are different - I think he recommends that protein be eaten to appetite if you are very muscular and/or work out a lot.

No, he states that athletes can eat up to 1.2g of protein per kilo of due weight if desired. I do weight training and am building muscle, but I don't consider myself an athlete. And it seems quite clear that biologically, my muscle is now quite happily getting all the extra sustenance it needs from my upped fat consumption, and stored body fat. I'm eating a fraction of the protein I did before, but still working out hard and still building muscle. Once I lose all my stored body weight it might be different, but I'll cross that bridge once I (happily) come to it.

Lisa
  #142   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taste test
It was not as hard as I thought it would be to hit the numbers but I felt a little hungry with less meat.

Lauren - eat more fat! And eat more low protein veg with lots of fat on or in it. This should definitely help the hunger.[/QUOTE]

Lisa
  #143   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/142/120 Female 5'5"
BF:?%/27%/cur20%18%
Progress: 44%

Sorry to be repetitive, but are the carbs being counted net (minus fiber) or total.
Thank you
Kristen
  #144   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
I don't think this should translate into specific ratios and amount to follow, since it would be impossible.

Why?

Quote:
Bodybuilders actually struggle to get as much protein as they "think" they need while keeping fat low enough. And they consume protein powder, egg beaters, no fat cheese so I don't think is a big issue.

Big is the right word, since many 'bodybuilders' are also technically obese. In any event, I'm not sure it adds much to a discussion to say that some people are the exception to the rule. Lots of folks can eat carbs till the cows come home and never gain an ounce of fat. Those people aren't on this forum. The people who are here, however, cannot eat like those exceptions.

Quote:
I also don't think it's necessary to avoid meat.

Not one post in this thread has said or even suggested that.

Quote:
I wonder if some people who are experiencing scale weight loss (even with extreme calorie raising) are actually losing muscle mass.

I do Slow Burn weight training (like many of the women on this forum) and, like them, am adding muscle mass weekly.

Lisa
  #145   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenv
are the carbs being counted net (minus fiber) or total.

Kristen - that's net carbs. Yay!

Lisa
  #146   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:54

Plan: HF/MP/LC
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:26.5
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
Lauren - eat more fat! And eat more low protein veg with lots of fat on or in it. This should definitely help the hunger.

I will try that. I did get close to my upper limit yesterday (115-159g Fat) and I ate 153g. Are you going higher than that and still losing?

I think I need to eat more fat earlier in the day. I noticed my hunger was gone in the evening but I was hungry during the day.
  #147   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:55

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Dr. Kwasniewski doesn't subtract fiber, does he?
  #148   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:57
Registered Member

Quote:
Ah for the old days of DOS and Win3.1, when you could just cut and paste a program to move it elsewhere, and there was no darn Registry to worry about.

Debbie - none here either. Yes, you have programs on your C drive, and you can leave them there. But you've got MASSES of data (in WORD, for instance, that would be .docs and in Excel that would be spreadsheets) that can easily be moved anywhere you like, temporarily or even permanently if you want. The calculator is a tiny program. Once you move a few data files you can install it, get your numbers, and uninstall again. No regedit required.

Lisa
  #149   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Dr. Kwasniewski doesn't subtract fiber, does he?

He does. And why not - our bodies can neither absorb it, or get an insulin response from it.

Lisa
  #150   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 15:59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taste test
I did get close to my upper limit yesterday (115-159g Fat) and I ate 153g. Are you going higher than that and still losing?

I've never even gotten past the middle number.

Quote:
I think I need to eat more fat earlier in the day. I noticed my hunger was gone in the evening but I was hungry during the day.

I eat a boatload of fat with as little protein as possible for breakfast - I'm lucky if I'm hungry for lunch. And sometimes I'm not.

Lisa
Closed Thread