Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (60 carbs)
Stats: 150/150/000 Male ?? (12, above-avg male)
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default "Easy Cook" meals

I'm attempting to do a semi-low carb diet (40 to 60 carbs, minimal sugar) based off Atkins. Just one problem... cooking is difficult, as I'm 13 and am still learning to use the Stove and oven. So here's what I can do:
* Stir-fry
* Boil
* Steam
* Basic Baking (throw something in the oven, turn over if necessary, take out when time up)
* Basic Grilling (Place on grill, turn over, take out when time up or instant-read thermometer says done) (Note: I have a gas grill so it is somewhat weaker then charcoal and it's adjustable)
* Microwaving
Please Help with some simple lunches, breakfasts, and quick meals. We have a well stocked spice cabinet, lots of Asian spices (such as curry and nam pla) and also keep frozen veggies, chicken breasts, and frozen fish on hand. Most other moderately priced ingredients can be bought.
Please? My parents provide dinner.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 14:21

Plan: Nothing Specific Now
Stats: 194.5/191/165 Female 5ft 6in
BF:33.8%/31.1%/25%
Progress: 12%

Simple Breakfasts:
fried eggs
scrambled eggs w/ melted cheese (I buy a big bag of the pre-cooked crumbled bacon and add this to my scramble). You could also scramble it all in a bowl and cook it in the microwave too (watch it closely).
hard boiled eggs, mash w/ fork a little then add a bit of butter and put in the microwave with salt and pepper. I love this and you can boil a dozen at a time and just microwave them as needed.
A big piece of cheese
Here's something you could do with your parents help on the weekend. Make a big batch of scrambled cups. I cut up onions and zuchinni and saute until soft with butter. Then in a big bowl I whisk together a dozen eggs, add the onion and zuchinni, add some frozen spinach, sliced mushrooms, crumbled bacon or you could add diced ham or cooked sausage and lots of shredded cheese. Then I pour the mixture into muffin tins (grease them good) and bake until a toothpick comes out clean. It makes about 18 cups. You can keep them in the fridge and have a quick and easy breakfast all week. Just grab one or two and microwave them. I top mine with sour cream and hot sauce.

Simple Lunches & Quick Meals
Lunch meat with sliced cheese roll ups (Not all deli lunch meat is good. Some of it is full of preservatives and carbs.) I get the Boars Head brand and I always have the lady at the deli flip it over so I can see how many grams of carbs or sugar are in it. Boars Head is a little more expensive, but the don't use fillers and they have several meats that are zero carb. Anyways, slice it a little thick and roll the meat up with some sliced cheese and lettuce, or no lettuce and just by itself is good. Rolled up meat with cream cheese and a green onion is good too.
Leftovers are great. Maybe your parents can cook a little extra at dinner and then you have your lunch for the next day. I like leftover fajitas, chicken, burgers, etc.
Pepperoni slices with string cheese is good.
Walmart and Costco sell frozen cooked chicken breasts that are ok. I like the cooked grilled strips the best. You can make a fast and easy salad with them or quick fajitas. Grab a frozen chicken and some frozen veggies and you've got a quick meal.
Hot dogs or bratwurst (look for ones with only 1 or 2 carbs each). Dip in mustard with a pickle or two on the side. Maybe some cheese too.
Burgers, grill and top with your favorite veggies and cheese

It's good to keep a list of what works for you and is easy to make. If you are making something that requires the oven or the grill it would be best to make it when your parents are home first, just to make sure you don't need any help. Then if they say it's ok maybe you could try it by yourself the next time. Both the stove and the grill can be very dangerous and sometimes when you're cooking certain foods and especially oil can get very hot and can actually cause a fire without warning so it's best to make sure they are home and helping you before you try anything by yourself.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 14:22

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%
Default Quick meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaxnb
I'm attempting to do a semi-low carb diet (40 to 60 carbs, minimal sugar) based off Atkins. Just one problem... cooking is difficult, as I'm 13 and am still learning to use the Stove and oven. So here's what I can do:
* Stir-fry
* Boil
* Steam
* Basic Baking (throw something in the oven, turn over if necessary, take out when time up)
* Basic Grilling (Place on grill, turn over, take out when time up or instant-read thermometer says done) (Note: I have a gas grill so it is somewhat weaker then charcoal and it's adjustable)
* Microwaving
Please Help with some simple lunches, breakfasts, and quick meals. We have a well stocked spice cabinet, lots of Asian spices (such as curry and nam pla) and also keep frozen veggies, chicken breasts, and frozen fish on hand. Most other moderately priced ingredients can be bought.
Please? My parents provide dinner.

Hi ryaxnb,
you should have lots of fun in this site http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2 it's nice to know you're starting LC at an early age. Have fun, there's lots of easy quick meals in this site.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 01:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

A great and simple chicken curry recipe designed for the young and the young at heart. Switch out the evaporated milk to coconut milk (in the can) to make it both properly low carb and to make it taste even better.

http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/...0106052-r07.asp

This is pretty simple and tasty, too, maybe a little more challenging? Want to give them a try?

Paperbaked Prawns
http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/...0107064-r01.asp
(220C is about 425F, a pretty hot oven so be careful)

Enjoy your cooking adventure!

#5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 06:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'd suggest go ahead and still read through all the recipies on this site. Many are easy as even some of the adults here were never taught the in and outs of cooking, and many of us lead very busy lives.

The hardest part is the abbriviations for low carb ingredients. If you find a recipe that has abbriviations or cooking directions you havn't seen before, please feel free to ask about them in a reply to that message. The people here are more then happy to explain the common abbriviations, and we have some professional chefs on board that can explain the terms in more simplistic terms. After all the best way to learn sometimes is to ask, then you can have even more cooking skills under your belt and can wow the family with what you can do.