Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 00:19
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default A very short survey RE: hunger and weight maintenance

Hi

1) Do you restrict food calories/quantities to maintain weight, or, do you eat ad lib?

2) Do you experience physical hunger?
If so, is it constant or does it come in episodic "jags and lulls" where it is alternating between starving and normal?

3) Do you find this hunger emotionally distressful and discouraging, or, is it easy for you to tolerate because you accept it?

4) What is your high BMI?

5) What is your present BMI?

6) How long have you been maintaining within 5 pounds of goal?

7) If you know, how many carbs & calories do you eat?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 00:55

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

1) Do you restrict food calories/quantities to maintain weight, or, do you eat ad lib? It depends, mostly ad lib if I am doing meat and egg, which I am usually, 'cept for right now because I am a tool.

If so, is it constant or does it come in episodic "jags and lulls" where it is alternating between starving and normal?
Yes, it is almost constant until I pretty much stuff myself to get my body to shut up but then not that much longer I am hungry again.

3) Do you find this hunger emotionally distressful and discouraging, or, is it easy for you to tolerate because you accept it? It is emotionally distressing. Sometimes i even lash out at others or become generally moody.

4) What is your high BMI? No idea.

5) What is your present BMI? No idea.

6) How long have you been maintaining within 5 pounds of goal? A few years now. Trying to get rid of the last few pounds, which is the hardest thing ever.

7) If you know, how many carbs & calories do you eat? Right now I am eating veggies and it is varied. Let's pretend I am doing meat and egg, which is what I usually do. No idea what the calories are because I ignore them. Carbs are usually 5 or under. I can lose weight this way, actually now I find it is the only way *for me that is.*
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 07:56
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

OK Nora...I'll bite.....please know that these are my honest answers as I just read your journal.

1) Do you restrict food calories/quantities to maintain weight, or, do you eat ad lib?
I do practice portion control as I have the ability to overeat just about anything. I don't consider this restricting.

I feel hunger sometimes during the day. I never feel as if I'm starving as I do eat every few hours, even if its only 1 oz of cheese or 1 HB egg.

3) Do you find this hunger emotionally distressful and discouraging, or, is it easy for you to tolerate because you accept it?
I do not allow myself to stay hungry for long so it has no effect on my mood at all.

it was 39-40%

its about 25%

I've been 5 lbs from goal since last September...so about 10 months now.

I'm just guessing here as I don't track these but I'd guess between 1500-1800 cals a day and about 60-80 carbs.

Now I'd really be interested to see your answers to these questions Nora!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 08:17

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Like Judy, I try to practice portion control since I LOVE eating and I can really pack it in even when my body tells me I'm full. The satisfied feeling is subtle.

Yes, I actually like feeling some hunger as it tells me my body is working correctly. I am usually hungry about an hour before I start eating again. Hunger is nice because food tastes so good!

It is not stressful under normal circumstances. When I'm happy and feel balanced, I am not bothered by hunger. But then again, I don't allow myself to get too hungry. I eat when I'm slightly to moderately hungry. There is no reason to be hungry and suffering while eating lowcarb.

I don't remember.. I think 25

22 I think...

1+ year

Anywhere between 1800-2000 cals and 20-50 carbs. There were periods when I ate like 2000-3000 cals, but carbs were <10 so I didn't gain any weight. This is rough estimation as I don't like to count too much.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 08:41

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:

Hi, Nora! And to you, Judy--and to you, Serrelind (yes, that'll surprise you, Serre, but I've followed your posts, your earlier journal, and your valiant struggles for some time, and I admire you)!

I'll bite!

) Do you restrict food calories/quantities to maintain weight, or, do you eat ad lib? I try hard to practice portion control, which I do not consider restricting. I consider it more something my parents should have taught me way back when--I never really learned proper proportions for the appropriate maintenance of my body and its fuel needs...and as a result, I have to keep teaching myself now! And as I grow older, I need less, it seems.
I do not eat "ad lib"--I plan, and I eyeball sizes, and I have learned from experience what and when and how much. The only "ad lib" I've done for a long, long time was when I was on the Queen Mary 2 in January...and it was worth it.

If so, is it constant or does it come in episodic "jags and lulls" where it is alternating between starving and normal? When I'm eating properly for me--the mixture of protein/carbs/fat that I happen to need to feed my WOs and to feed my body and feel satisfied--I do not feel hunger during the day.

However, I stop eating three hours before my bedtime, and when I (inevitably) wake up in the middle of the night for a bathroom run, I am hungry--or, let's say I feel hunger pangs. Fortunately, I never learned to eat in the middle of the night; therefore, I simply register the "empty" feeling or gnawing feeling, and I've learned from experience (time and time again) that if I leave it alone, it goes away. And I wake up looking forward to my breakfast!

3) Do you find this hunger emotionally distressful and discouraging, or, is it easy for you to tolerate because you accept it? It would be emotionally distressful if I tried to starve myself daily (which I have done in my youth, so I know the feeling), but the nighttime feeling is not. I know it goes away, and I know breakfast isn't far away.

My highest weight ever was 135; my average was 115.

Do you mean bf%? I am 5'2" and weigh between 98 and 100 pounds in the AM (probably more like 109 pounds late afternoon! ).

6) How long have you been maintaining within 5 pounds of goal? I have been between 105 and 100 since last August.

7) If you know, how many carbs & calories do you eat? I average around 1200 cals/day, with about 60 net carbs/day.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 11:42

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Hi Sona! I've followed a few of your posts as well and I think you are doing SOOOOO well! Congrats! How do you keep your maintenance cal intake so low though? I think I'd be very hungry eating only 1200 cals a day. But I'm glad you have found what works for you
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 17:59
Registered Member

BF:

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayustar
1) Do you restrict food calories/quantities to maintain weight, or, do you eat ad lib? It depends, mostly ad lib if I am doing meat and egg, which I am usually, 'cept for right now because I am a tool.

How are you able to maintain weight if you are always hungry and eating unrestricted?
Quote:
Yes, it is almost constant until I pretty much stuff myself to get my body to shut up but then not that much longer I am hungry again

Have you always been this hungry, or, was there a time when you didn't have this hunger? Like, when you first started LC at your high weight, did you find your hunger worked normally?

Also, do you have any history of disfunctional or disordered eating, if you don't mind my asking?

Quote:
7) If you know, how many carbs & calories do you eat? Right now I am eating veggies and it is varied. Let's pretend I am doing meat and egg, which is what I usually do. No idea what the calories are because I ignore them. Carbs are usually 5 or under. I can lose weight this way, actually now I find it is the only way *for me that is.*

Out of curiosity, does M&E work for you because it takes away your appetite somewaht and you eat less food?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 19:11
Registered Member

BF:

I restrict calories and quantities. I only eat ad lib under two conditions: when I go out to eat (because then it is impossible to control cals), and when I'm on a high hunger swing. Even then, I am trying to do damage control and I never totally give in if I can help it. Damage control is basically avoiding as many carbs as possible, focusing primarily on fresh meat and fiber veggies, and trying my best not to eat too much. I restrict the next day(s) to avoid regaining weight. Usually I’ll restrict a day, two if that day wasn’t much low, or, if I had been eating quite generously before hand.

I do experience hunger.
My hunger is not consistent. I am not hungry all the time, but I am aware that I can't eat when I am.

My body goes in little cycles of low appetite and high appetite, during the day and day to day. Over a continuum of time, these cycles favor over eating (to what would maintain weight). It is only through formulating unconscious rules and restrictions (“portion control” or “things I always do” or “things I never do”) that I am able to avoid going with my true hunger, thus the metabolic push to be fat.

What bothers me most about hunger is not feeling it, but when I lose control of it. I feel as if I’ve failed. I feel no security about my weight or anything else really. It’s a bad feeling. Hunger itself can sometimes be pleasant, in the right context.

46.2 (body mass index value)

I don’t know. I haven’t been a true weight below 112 in months and months… and, ignoring post carb bloating, I haven’t been above 121 in way long too. I’ve been a weight around the mid teens for a very long time, but I tend to climb up or drop down from time to time. I doubt I will ever be low teens again, though. That weight required a lot of obsession that I just don’t feel anymore.

Fitday says from june 1st to now I’ve been eating 1650 cals and about 63 carbs.
If I go all the way back to march 1st (when I dramatically changed my eating to be lower carb and not as cal restricted) my averages are 1600 cals and 56 carbs.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 19:32

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I eat when hungry and quit when satisfied. I don't restrict the amounts at all.
When I get hungry, I eat. I never get t0 starving.
I dont'r mide hunger as it reminds me to get some food.
My highest was around 32.
One year for 5 pounds, 2 1/2 years for 7 pounds.
Carbs vary from 5 to 40. Calories are not tracked, but when I measure, they range from 1500 to 2000.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 20:59
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

I'm going to answer these truthfully.....

1) Do you restrict food calories/quantities to maintain weight, or, do you eat ad lib? I want to say that I eat ad lib - but we're being honest here. I know that in the back of my mind I am restricting my food calories by restricting the quantity of food I eat. There are times when I get a hunger feeling and I think to myself "Gosh, I just at an hour ago" so I'll try to push that feeling aside for a few more hours.

Absolutely! And I am much more aware of it know than I've been in a very long time. If I get physically hungry it is not in jags and lulls - for me it is constant and I HAVE to get something to eat. For example - if I am at work and I get a hunger pain, I may push it away for another hour to get something else done. Then I get really hungry - that empty feeling in my stomach, the 'shakes', almost dizzy feeling. And that does not go away until I have a nice (and LC ) lunch. I find it is rare I get this hungry at home though - perhaps for me I get so caught up in doing something at work that it's easier for me to allow myself to get to that point of physical hunger. Hope this makes sense.

3) Do you find this hunger emotionally distressful and discouraging, or, is it easy for you to tolerate because you accept it?This is an interesting question. This is probably going to sound absolutely crazy, but remember I'm being truthful here. If I had a good weigh in for the day, for me that'd be around 136-138, then that hunger feeling is easy for me to tolerate. If I have a bad weigh in, for me that's anything above 138, the feeling of hunger almost makes me mad. I start thinking "Well no WONDER I'm weighing high - all I do is walk around stuffing my face - time to restrict quantities". That is the kind of thing that goes through my mind. And I have to fight with those inner-conversations. And in another weird way, sometimes I like a little bit of a hungry feeling. Makes me think that I'm burning stored fat or something - not sure really how to put it in words. It's like I feel thinner when I'm a little bit hungry and for me that's a good thing. It's hard for me to explain......

4) What is your high BMI? I'm not for certain but using a BMI calculator and my start weight it was 28.1

5) What is your present BMI? Around 20

6) How long have you been maintaining within 5 pounds of goal? Just under a year.

7) If you know, how many carbs & calories do you eat? I do not keep track of either but I would guess around 50 carbs or less - no idea on the calories.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 08:08

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

With particular foods I really have to make an effort to restrict them or I will go off the deep end...some foods I can eat til satisfied and never have an issue or even consider overindulging in...i.e. broccoli!

I normally try to stick to a meal schedule and eat every few hours. Of course this doesn't always go as planned, and if I'm not prepared for long spaces between meals I do get hungry. But it's not a regular thing.
My downfalls are hunger and convenience...and when I'm hungry I'm looking for a convenient food/meal. I've also noticed that when I'm really hungry I get what I call "naughty thoughts!" And for some reason a grilled chicken salad is no longer as appealing as it normally would be and doughnuts seem to call my name.
Close to 7 weeks
Carb counts really vary daily...some days I'd say 30 net other days 75 net carbs.

And calories average 2200-2500.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 10:58

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

I stick to the maintenance eating guidelines (P3) of Fat Flush. I don't have to count calories but I am limited as to servings of some foods (2 dairy servings per day, for example)

2) Do you experience physical hunger? If so, is it constant or does it come in episodic "jags and lulls" where it is alternating between starving and normal?
Nope. Not when I eat every 2-3 hours. If I stretch that out, I get cranky - and I DO mean cranky! DH has learned to interpret the signs (single syllable responses. temper tantrums. ) and feed me STAT! Generally stretching out the time between meals occurs most often when we are on long distance motorcycle trips.

Frankly, I think many of us are so out of tune with our bodies that when it says "I'm THIRSTY" we think it's saying "I'm HUNGRY." At the first twinge, I drink more water and check my watch.

dunno

less

Over two years

Don't know, 'zactly. However, following the maintenance guidelines of P3 will generally give 1800-2000 daily calories. I DO increase my intake on heavy exercise days (bicycling for 50-100 miles per day, for example).
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 18:36

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

How are you able to maintain weight if you are always hungry and eating unrestricted?

I am not sure. I like to keep my carbs very low even when I am doing Atkins Induction. So I really have no idea why I don't gain like mad. I should, realistically.

Quote:
Yes, it is almost constant until I pretty much stuff myself to get my body to shut up but then not that much longer I am hungry again

I have always been like that, I think more so now that I am on LC that I am even more hungry. I think it really depends on what I am eating. If I am just eating meat and eggs then it helps to curb the hunger a bit.

Also, do you have any history of disfunctional or disordered eating, if you don't mind my asking?

No, that is fine. It was a bit off and on, I wouldn't eat and then I would binge eat. It was one or the other. I try not to do anything like that anymore because I know how crappy it feels.

Quote:

Out of curiosity, does M&E work for you because it takes away your appetite somewaht and you eat less food?

I think it works just because of the lack of carbs I get. I eat pretty big meals of meat and eggs. It's not low calorie and I don't cut back on the fat. I think that is what is really filling about it. I don't feel so edgy while I am on it either. Though, it is hard sometimes to find something to eat while I am not at home.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 22:22
Registered Member

Plan: own plan
Stats: // Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 77%

Oh boy, I have not posted in a long while, but I'm intrigued.
Here goes...

Lately, I call it "controlled chaos''. There are certain foods that work for me (i.e. no blood sugar swings, keeps digestion good, etc), and within those limits, I ''ad lib''

Yes. I have found after years of too much hunger (starving) and then not enough (coe), I have found true physical hunger to be a healthy sign. Not the high-carb gnawing kind, but the real kind that means my previous meal has been digested and I need sum whole food fuel!

This is tough to call. After years of abusing my body signals, I can still feel ''jags and lulls'' and not really feel like eating, ignoring it. I guess if I am busy and feel fine working, I'll continue. But if my energy is low, I will grab a bite. I don't know if this answered that.

It seems easier to tolerate. Stomach hunger has never really been my issue. It is appetite that usually is more emotionally distressful and discouraging.

I don't know.

don't know.

roughly 1.5 years (vanity weight) but I was within 10 pounds for the past 3 years. I lost little weight, but got denser (yay muscle!).

I don't keep track of either. There are just certain foods I avoid. I find animal fat is important no matter what. Protein I keep lower and carbs higher than induction levels but only from certain sources. This is the balance that has worked well for me, along with skipping breakfast. I know some of this is against popular opinion, but after a lot of trial and error, this is what I have found to work for me and keep me healthy and energetic and not at my obsessive extremes (although I realize to others this might sound obsessive in itself).

I should note, I have never had a ''normal'' relationship with food and I never expect it to be. There is a nagging want to return to disorder at times, but I have found as long as I know what works for myself and I don't feel pressured to conform to what works for others, I can remain healthy for me.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 23:42
Registered Member

BF:

I want to thank everyone for sharing responses.

I would like to clarify that when I ask if one experiences hunger, I was not speaking of a normal "it's time to eat" signal... the kind that starts a bit before a meal and peaks before eating, and then food is consumed till it is satisfied. I meant if our day-to-day life involves denial of hunger as a means to control weight.

Basically, I was asking if one had period(s) in the day where they were not "allowed" to eat, even though the body was hungry and/or there were signs of low energy. The sort of thing leslieam was talking about is a perfect example: she feels signs of needing food, but, she does not validate them all the time because it is at odds with weight.

I was probing to find out if it is *normal* in successful weight loss to use rules as a way of alienating consciousness from hunger (the evidence of deprivation). If it is normal, this would explain why I feel much hungrier now. I went to great lengths to let go of my rules and to eat when I was hungry.