Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 21:10

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default 7 lbs From Goal Weight But Losing Focus

I am 7lbs from my goal weight (5'7") and I seem to have lost my focus. I am still LC'ing but am not eating regularly and eating too much, calorie wise, when I do. I don't understand what has happened. Even though my start weight says 191, I was actually at 196 (mid-Jul '03) when I started Atkins, and the weight has been slow to come off. This hasn't been easy and I can't understand why I have gotten so sloppy. I thought the weight would be off in a year. At the rate I am going it will take another year to get the last 7 lbs off. Is this loss of focus something that is fairly common when you get this close to your goal weight? I feel so much better, look so much better and maybe have gotten discouraged because if the loss was slow before, it has barely budged in the last couple of months. And I don't seem to care. That is what bothers me the most. I am afraid I will start gaining and not care about that either. Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 04:37

Plan: prev atkins, now NHE
Stats: 174/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:

I'm in a similar place, but with a different timescale. I started Atkins in summer 2002, weight 174lb, lost slowly and steadily to 145 by autumn 2003. Since then, weight has bounced around in a 5lb window. Weight today is 143. However, in that 9 month period I have lost another inch off my waist and half inch off my hips. My skin has tightened up as well. Altogether, I have lost 7" from my waist and I have changed my hip/waist ratio from 90% to 79%, ie I am finally below the risk level. At the moment my friends tell me I look great with no need to lose any more, but actually I look like a celebrity "before" picture (do you get those in the US where a soap star hits the french fries and alcohol and gains about 10 - 15lb and gets cruel bikini pictures published?). So, I feel that if I could lose another 7 - 10lb the effort would be more worth it. Why go through the misery of dieting and continually watching what you eat if you still can't quite fit into really nice clothes and you still look bulgy and soft? I am now a US size 10, only 5'3" with tiny bones but lots of muscle and would look better if I could lose the last bit.

Anyway, enough about that. I replied because I wanted to share with you the good things about having coasted for so long and maybe have a longer discussion with you about how we can move to the next stage:

My skin has really tightened up and I feel that the coasting has allowed it to do so. My stomach isn't so spongy and I don't bulge over the armpit of my bras like I used to. I fear that if I had kept losing at the same rate it would have been too tough on my skin.

I have proved that without dieting I can maintain my weight, even though I am drinking way too much alcohol and not getting enough exercise. That means that with a few small tweaks to my current lifestyle I will be able to maintain a weight that is 10lb less.

I believe that any diet is tough on the system and that I have allowed my body to regroup. If I crave a food I eat it. However, look at my cravings: blue cheese (vit B) smoked salmon (essential fatty acids) fruits (especially the red and orange ones = antioxidants) lots of red meat and liver at TOM. I've been listening to what my body is telling me it needs as I don't think you can get the same benefits from supplements.

So where am I now: ready to start back on weight loss, resisting the urge to crash off the weight because I am bored with having "diet" in the back of my brain. I have a feeling that the last part of this will be the hardest. I have read about "set point" theory and it is certainly true that I have previously been at my current weight for a very long time in the past. But I have also maintained my goal weight of 135lb for years and years when I was younger. It is also tough accepting that actually I could look really GOOD.

I didn't really plan to take a break; I just slid into it. All I have been doing is avoiding the "white" carbs. Do you think you have been trying to lose but are stalled, or like me have you slipped into a maintenance mode? Maybe your body needs to regroup before the next level. When I look back I am shocked at how long this has taken me compared to how long I htought it would take. But I make myself do the math - 1lb fat = 3,500 calories = calorie deficit of 500 per day and that is a lot.

Are you putting on muscle, losing inches?

Let me know whether you agree with any of the above - it would be nice to have some online support for this last stretch.

Fiona

Last edited by fiona508 : Mon, May-31-04 at 05:12.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 09:39

BF:

Thanks for the reply, Fiona. I was hoping someone looking through the threads would come in and see this wasn't a "Yea! I'm-so-close-to-goal" post. The skin and sponginess issues you talked about were being taken care of, probably because the weight loss hasn't been fast. I was very happy with the way this WOE was helping in a lot of areas. I'm not losing inches anymore...as a matter of fact, my clothes are tighter. We are having a very humid spring and water retention has always been a problem for me. Could be the water retention is responsible for feeling so blah. I need to eliminate the salt completely, but haven't. I guess I am concerned because I know what I need to do, I know it would work, but just can't seem to follow through.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 13:19
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Not sure what to say. I lost 40 lbs in 5 months, and then dilly dallied all during the fall and early this year just maintaining or losing the same 5 lbs over and over again.

I don't really know why, either. I tried to focus on the positives - that I was learning how to control my weight, I felt so much better, etc.

I think it all comes down to mindset. A couple of months ago, I found my determination to get the last 15 lbs off. I went back to basics and focused on my plan's principles. Reevaluated my portion sizes, stepped up exercise, etc and I'm losing well again.

But I think my attitude was most important. Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes I think our bodies just need time to adjust to a lower weight, and when we're ready we get going again.

You're doing great to maintain, and I'm sure you will find the frame of mind you need to complete your goal. Wish I had some words of wisdom for you.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 05:17

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Hi There!
I would be less concerned about the difference 7lbs will make - though don't lose sight of your goals - and more concerned about feeling sleepy all the time. That isn't good. Also, feeling sleepy may detract from your plan,

You say you are losing focus by skipping meals and eating too much when you do. Remember, skipping meals will play havoc with your blood sugar, which will not help you lose becuase your body will release excess inslulin and it will lead to sleepy lows.

Also, how much is 'too much' calories? If you are sleepy, I would suggest that maybe you are not getting enough energy from your foods. Sleepy also tends to = less incidentally active during the day, and is not going to help you lose those 7lbs either.

How many calories are you eating? This close to goal, it is easy to be to loose (and not lose), but it is also common that people do not have a realistic understanding that 1300 calories may be too low to maintain metabolism/energy/avoid sleepiness and you may be hurting yourself and your weight loss.

After dieting for a lenghty period - and probably intentionally or not reducing calories on low carb - your body can be stressed and slow down that weight loss.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 06:54

BF:

Thanks for the very encouraging words. I am determined to stop undermining myself by making sure I eat regularly. I realize it makes me feel bad and is responsible for making me so weary and prone to the nightime nibbles o'nuts. Which is the "too many calories" issue. I think my set point is probably what I put as my goal weight, which I chose because that was my weight when a health issue resulted in the the weight gain.

Thanks again for the help.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 08:55

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah, I am getting tired of cooking, and I miss breakfast, too. I hit my goal on Dec 22, but I haven't seen it since. At least I haven't been more than 7 lbs from my goal. The Doc said that being within five pounds of your goal weight is fine, it could be daily fluctuations.

M
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 09:14

BF:

The cooking has been the "biggie" for me...not the lure of HCarb stuff (not since the first couple of months, anyway). I follow "Kristine the Moderator's" advice...KISS. (Keep it simple, stupid.) Easy cooking and easy cleanup. I just get really tired of having to do it 7 days a week and I just don't like eating out. Food isn't great and I can do better, cheaper, at home. But I still don't like to cook.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 09:57

Plan: Atkins & M/E
Stats: 225/216/140 Female 65
BF:31%/26%/25%
Progress: 11%

I also seem to be losing my focus more and more as the days go by. Just got back from a holiday in India where I was REALLY GOOD for the FIRST DAY and then fell off the wagon completely for the next fourteen days. Fortunately I only put on 6lbs, four of which I lost in the first week of my return. However I seem to find convenient excuses to cheat more and more and this is really getting me down. My stomach looks bloated again and my clothes are beginning to feel tight. I have been good so far today and hope it will continue. Fortuantely I don't have any "Family Gatherings" for at least a month (which is where I always fall down!) so my hopefully my will power would be stronger by then.

FromVA, what my DH normally says to me to get me motivated again is "do you want to go back to the way we were a year ago" and the answer is no!! 7lbs is not long to go so keep you chin up and good luck.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 09:49

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Maamel, why don't you offer to bring a meat and cheese and cut veggie tray to your family gatherings? Then you can "accidentally" overeat that before dinner, and just push your potatoes around the plate...

M
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 10:00

BF:

My jeans are getting tight from the bloating, too. I found myself only wearing the looser ones and as soon as I realized I was letting myself slip back into the larger size I realized it was time to go, "Whoa!" It may only be "bloating", but it is the first big step on the slippery slope to "growing out" of one size up to the next. Then it really is easy to just give up. Maamel...your DH is right. I sure don't want to go back to where I was a year ago!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 19:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
I follow "Kristine the Moderator's" advice...KISS. (Keep it simple, stupid.)

I heard my name! You should see me now: in my supreme laziness, I recently discovered the JOY of the deli rotisserie chicken! At my grocery store, they're pretty much the same price as the raw ones of the same size.

...but back to the original topic, I tend to lose my focus, too. It's easy to think of this as a problem that you've already taken care of. I get (a) lazy, and (b) impulsive. It's hard to be motivated when you don't have anything tangible to look forward to.

I don't really have any advice here, except to try to refocus on the good things you get out of clean LCing. Better sleep, cleaner teeth, saving money, better nutrition, easier TOM... YMMV. I try to focus on that again. It doesn't always work.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 08:50

Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Question: what were you planning on doing after you lose the last 7 pounds you are concerned about? What is going to motivate you after you reach your goal to maintain this lifestyle and keep the weight off?

I ask this because it seems you are placing way too much emphasis on scale weight. People who base their success on the scales eventually will become discouraged. My advice is to start allowing yourself to enjoy your accomplishments and continue to do what you know works. This is not a race but (hopefully) a continued way of life for the rest of your life.

Good luck!