Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 18:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/275/180 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Wink Any Rvers Out There? Like To Camp?

We love to camp in our travel trailer , going to Fla for two months starting in Jan..any others? Lets talk lowcarb on the road.Maxine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 07:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/176/165 Female 5ft 10 in
BF:?
Progress: 79%

HI Maxine, when are you leaving? My hubby and I are camping at Disney World for a couple of days in January, then travelling on to Texas to visit with our daughter for awhile. We have a 5th wheel, this is our first winter of freedom!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 11:12

BF:
Progress:
Cool re camping

Hi Brvida, We're leaving here on or about Jan 6-7th. We're in Cheboygan Michigan up near the Big Mac bridge etc..it's a 5 hr drive with ther trailer just to the border of southern Michigan. We will stay there the first night then take I-69 to I-65 to Nashville to Chatanooga and pick up I-75
stopping at Leesburg (Lake Griffin State Park)on our way down to Bradenton where we'll be till end of March at Horseshoe COve RV Resort.
Nice there, has it's own fishing and boat docks, and it's own island with a walking bridge out to it. My family is there also across town so neat.

We have a 28 ft Keystone Outback, and a 2003 Dodge 4dr with the big Hemi (Can you tell the hubby retired from Chrysler? LOL

Thanks for writing, Maxine
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:53
Registered Member

Hi Maxine, I just had a great chuckle. We have a 2003 Ford 350 Diesel, duel wheels. Our son works for Ford, can you tell?!! We don't have any definite plans yet except for the visit to Disney World and then whenever we decide to, continuing on to Texas. I am interested in walking on some beaches in the Clearwater area as I do enjoy looking for sharks teeth. We will be travelling with our old (16 yr old) chocolate lab though so that is going to curtail some things. He does love travelling!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 18:22

BF:
Progress:
Default HI Brvida

Our truck is also a 2003, Dodge as I said. Our trailer is also. I tried to insert a picture in this message but couldnt get it done, cant seem to reduce it enough.
We travel with two dogs, a yellow Lab, Luna 10 yrs old, and a mini dachsund 15 yr old! First time on such a long trip with them although we've done the National Forest Campgrounds in Mich Upper Pennsula..
looking for sharks teeth sounds great! Have to try that sometime.
Regards, Maxine

Last edited by lunagirl : Tue, Dec-09-03 at 18:24. Reason: wrong age on dog
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 05:45
Registered Member

Hi Maxine, how many years have you been going south for the winter? Do you find it hard to find open camp grounds in the northern areas? We left our trailer in Virginia, will pick it up on our way back down south. Thought it was difficult to find open campspots at this time of year. Lilian
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 10:59

BF:
Progress:
Talking Re open campgrounds

Hi Lilian, This is our first year going with the camp trailer..i called and the Georgia State Parks are open all year, you can check their websites. And we plan to be out of the cold weather after the first day, well not out but close to out. We stop at Flying J travel Plazas and you can park overnight there for free and they have great buffets in their resturants.Truckers eat well.After that we should be in warmer climites where we can actually camp.
I see you'll be coming down on another route but you can always park even at Walmarts just to sleep and move on.
I'm sure you won't have a problem finding a place. Let us know when you are leaving.
I got on the web and made an itinirary and called the places to comfirm they would be open BUT didn't make reservations as we might stop somewhere else. We're playing it by ear and the weather.
Best regards, Maxine PS Hubby says we're leaving Mich on the 7th of Jan.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 05:45
Registered Member

Good morning Maxine
We stopped at a few Flying J's on our last trip, altho only for fuel. I love stopping there, they have anything you may need. We will leave Virginia sometime after Christmas and before New Years and will check, as you mentioned, the different States websites to find who is open and who isn't.

I take it you are retired, or were you a stay at home mom? I retired this past July after working 50 years. My hubby always says our 5th wheel is the result of 100 years of work, 50 for him and 50 for me! Shocking when you look at it in that way. We are looking forward to our golden years.
Have a great day
Lilian
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 10:09

BF:
Progress:
Talking to Lilian

Yes we're retired..I'm 62, hubby 65 in Jan. He was in USAF for several yrs till Vietnam then went to work for Chrysler for 26 yrs. Now we live up here in the Straits area of Michigan on a 400 acre northern lake. We retired here in 98' having bought the land in 94'..we love it..all our neighbors are gone from Oct till May and we're alone here but that's ok..my husband restored a 1952 Allis Chalmers tractor which he uses to keep our private road plowed out in the Winter. No, I can't drive it.
I could never be happy fulltiming, (great for some) , but I'll be glad when we can get out camping more often. It's just a little hard with the two dogs..they've always lived so remotely here and although they are getting better and certainly not viscious in any way, they do still bark at other dogs and we have to be alert as we won't let them irritate anyone.
Also since you cant leave them alone in the campgrounds in the camper, it limits what we can do. They are dear old girls though and its a price we have to pay.
Have a great day all of you on this thread, Maxine
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 05:56
Registered Member

We visited northern Michigan once and enjoyed it very much. It is a very beautiful area. You have the best of two worlds, a home in an area that is wonderful plus winter vacations where you want. Your dogs enjoy their freedom I bet and I can understand how hard it must be for them to be more confined.

Our Lab has been an inside, sleep all day kind of dog so the travelling and staying in the trailer is no different than sleeping at home. He does have a hard time getting up the trailer steps tho so we've made a kind of ramp for him. Our last trip was with hubbies parents, we're 66 and 65 so you can imagine how old they are! My mother in law thought the ramp was for her purpose. We told her she could use it but that it really was for Brandy's benifit. She had a good chuckle.
Lilian
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 08:35

BF:
Progress:
Default Re dogs

I understand about the rams..Our Lab Luna has one too as she's 10 and has arthritis..little Cricket is 15 but we just lift her up and in..she the mini dachsund.
Our steps are ok for us, it's three steps in.So far so good. Where are you in Ontario We love it up there also..have been through many times on our way to Maine.

I just realized I ate some hidden carbs yesterday..feel SO fat today UGH! Back at it today.I hope to get a carb counter soon. Will make it easier.
The sun is out, life is good, Maxine
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 14:28

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I am an RV'er but not on the road yet as I have two more years to work, 1 1/2 if I am lucky. I find low carbing and camping work well.

I will keep up with your travels and have lots of fun, lose a lot of weight and be careful.

Linda
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 18:45

BF:
Progress:
Talking Hi Linda,

Glad to meet you! Thanks for the good wishes..can't wait to leave. Only staying here long enough to give the kids and grandkids a nice Christmas. Important to us to be with them for that, then we're outta here as they say.
Don't work too hard and look forward to keeping in touch..Maxine
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 19:11
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Hello everyone: I am fascinated by this thread as we do a lot of tent camping, and now that I'm 60 I think ahead to the possiblity of having an actual roof over our heads in downpours.

In some ways it doesn't make a lot of sense for us, as we have a home in North Carolina and a cabin in New Hampshire. And many years ago, I had a cabover camper which we almost never used.....except when we had company and we'd sleep in the camper in the driveway and let the guests stay in the house. We took it to several campgrounds in California ( Yosemite and King's Canyon) but always ended up sleeping outside in a tent and cooking over the fire. The porta potty was a fine feature, however! And the camper really came in handy once during a monsoon on a beach in Ensenada, Mexico.

Still. I tend to gravitate towards the idea of RV traveling once my husband retires. You folks keep posting, and I will keep listening....

Kay
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 08:07
Registered Member

Good morning Maxine, and everyone else -
We are in Ontario, close to Toronto. We had hoped to leave for Virginia on Tuesday but I'm battling a bad chesty cough. Hopefully three more days will make the difference. Christmas is with our son in Virginia, then a short stop in Florida, well maybe not that short, then on to Texas for time with our daughter. We are all Canadians so how 2/3's of our family ended up in the US is a question we can't answer. We share a home with our youngest son and his wife so when we are on the road, we don't have to worry about the house. It sure works well for us, and to be honest, I think they're happy when we aren't in their hair.
Have a great day, the sun is shining brightly here, glistening on the snow that fell over night.

Lilian