Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 10:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/150/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default A Strange Dilema

A strange dilema...........

Never thought I'd say it, since I love shopping, but I'm getting very concerned that all this money I'm spending (and believe me, I'm a very thrifty shopper and can smell a great deal a mile away!) will be a waste of my time and hard-earned money. Let me explain..........

In the past, every year I would buy a few to several new pieces of clothing at the change of every new season because the clothes from the prior year were too small. This year nothing fits, everything I own is too big! I'm not kidding when I say I need an entire new wardrobe! OK, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining; I am committed to this lifestyle, I love how I look, how I feel, and I love the clothes that I can now wear.....but..... I'm scared.......

I can't afford to buy a new wardrobe all over again next year......what if my body decides to re-adjust itself and I struggle maintaining at 145 or 150 or even 155 and nothing fits again?!?!

I'm trying to make my wardrobe work for me but honestly every evening I stare befuddled in my closet trying to find something to wear! Here's the thing, I have never been this size in my adult years, not even in high school which was over 30 years ago anyway!

It's a happy dilemma, but a dilemma all the same.

Is there help for me?????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 10:42
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
CONGRATS!!!!

I think I understand- it is SCARY to buy all new clothes, and even scarier to think you might not fit in them next year.
STAY ON PLAN- and it will be okay is what I have learned. I don't know about your body readjusting - what do others think about this? STAY ON PLAN!!!

About the clothes- been there! Got lots of clothes in a size 12 then lost 25 more lbs and had to get rid of them. Couldn't tailer tham down - too big.
Make a list of your MUST HAVES and a realistic budget. My must haves were new bras, jeans, polos, and some work outfits. I got more as time went on.
I shop mostly in Marshalls/TJ Maxx and on deep sales in department stores. Not sure what they have in your town. I find I can wear clothes over and over if I add in a scarf, a different color tee shirt, a jacket.
Thrift shops are also great for basics.

It's okay to be scared, but you also have to look and feel good! Start slow- add on as you get more confidence. and once again-
CONGRATS

E
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 11:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My advice is... don't throw the old clothes out. Been there, done that... regained. No matter how you vow that you'll never, ever regain the weight the fact is many of us do. Sometimes because we bomb off the diet, other times because our bodies do mysterious things... like mine is doing.

I'd get a few new pieces and mix-n-match.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 11:08
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

HA! Now thats what I call a good dilema!

Yes, as Eno said, stay on your plan, whatever it is!
Maintaining your weight for the first year will be very helpful for your confidence in that you can maintain your weight.

As for all those clothes....I can get away with tops that are a bit too big but bottoms need to fit right.
How do you wear your clothing? Meaning tucked in tops? tunics? knits? Wovens? Layering shirts over tanks?
Have you tried on everything to see what you can alter or belt up?
Bottoms are key and have to fit.

You may need to go through your clothing a few times over the next year as your body settles in.
But I can tell you that now 6.5 yrs later, I have jeans from that first year that still fit but are so worn out that I can't really wear them. I mostly wear jeans due to my work.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 13:16

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Congratulations!

If you buy cheap slinky tops, you could wear your blouses loose over them. If you already have slinky tops, you could just take them in by running an extra seam up both sides.

When you buy summer things this year, look out for things which would be fairly easy to alter by running a single seam down the length of them. There are a lot of tube dresses around this year, which are elasticated at the top, but would be easy to alter with a single seam. Also sarongs for the summer are adaptable.

Depending on your existing clothing, you might be able to alter some of them. With skirts, you could take a few tucks at intervals around the back of the skirt waistband, then wear a clinging top, covered by a loose open blouse.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Wed, Apr-18-12 at 13:23.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 14:40

BF:

Thanks so much for the great ideas, suggestions and tips.

My dilema or struggle stems from the fact that I have never weighed the same from one year to the next. So each new season I had to go shopping to buy new clothes that fit me.

Now I'm buying a new wardrobe for a different reason and I'm worried, scared that I won't be able to maintain......but like Judy said, "Maintaining your weight for the first year will be very helpful for your confidence in that you can maintain your weight." One month down, 11 more to go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 17:52

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I'm late responding to this....

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I had pretty much lost to goal last summer and HAD to buy some new clothes...but I knew I would likely lose more, so I just bought a few key pieces and made it work with what I already had using some of the suggestions here. Like Judy said, it's not all that big of a deal to wear tops that are a bit too big.

With my winter wardrobe I just made do...bought a couple pair of jeans and wore my too big tops. Now it's warm again and most of the clothes I bought last summer are too big. But I'm still losing and I have heard that even once you settle into your real goal weight it can take 6 months to a year for your body to finish redistributing everything and getting "used" to your new weight. So once again I have just bought a few key pieces and am making do. I figure by this time next year I will be able to really work on my long-term wardrobe, including some more expensive pieces.

I also agree with Nancy about not throwing anything away too soon. I don't agree with holding onto things long-term, but for a short amount of time to make sure it's going to stick - especially expensive pieces. And that works in reverse too. The last time I got to goal (this is the third) I drooled over a very nice, expensive pant suit for over a month. Kept almost buying it and refrained because of the cost. It finally got put on clearance - one left that happened to be my size - for an insanely cheap price. I grabbed that sucker up and was SO happy. Unfortunately when I gained weight back I got frustrated and got rid of all my skinny clothes, including that beautiful suit! I SO regret that! The only thing I kept was my expensive bathing suit that I paid full price for....and it just about fits!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 05:00

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_D
My dilema or struggle stems from the fact that I have never weighed the same from one year to the next. So each new season I had to go shopping to buy new clothes that fit me.

Now I'm buying a new wardrobe for a different reason and I'm worried, scared that I won't be able to maintain......but like Judy said, "Maintaining your weight for the first year will be very helpful for your confidence in that you can maintain your weight." One month down, 11 more to go!
Not sure why I missed this before ...

My advice is to enjoy buying your new wardrobe this time around and to chuck out or alter all your old clothes, except for one item to remind you of your highest weight. That way, when your new/altered clothes start feeling tight you'll know it's time to get back on track ... I didn't do that first time around and ended putting it back again ... this time I chucked everything away and when my clothes feel tight, I know what to do! There's no better incentive to keep maintaining at your current weight!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 07:55

BF:

Thank you freckles and Demi!

I have been slowly replacing my wardrobe and thoroughly enjoying the process; retail therapy cures all

One thing I have noticed is that many retailers cater to the young and to the more mature and seem to forget about the in-between age group; here in Winnipeg, I find so many clothes are either too young or too old for me. Nonetheless I am enjoying trying on things that push my old comfort zone. Finding my new style is challenging but fun! Wonder if Stacey and Clinton from TLC's "What Not to Wear" are up for a challenge

Last edited by Chris_D : Mon, May-07-12 at 08:30.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 08:21

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I'm trying to buy "in between" clothes at thrift shops. I'm saving the brand new wardrobe money until I'm at my goal.

I get like-new, name brand blouses for one or two dollars.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 08:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna1
I'm trying to buy "in between" clothes at thrift shops. I'm saving the brand new wardrobe money until I'm at my goal.

I get like-new, name brand blouses for one or two dollars.

Thats a very good idea for the losing stage.
This section of the board is for those near maintenance or are already at goal.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

I have the same problem. However, I want to buy custom tailored (bespoke) clothes to show off my new body. I have been planning to go in and have my body measured, but I have been keep putting it off. I am worried I may not be at my final size. While my weight has been stable for the past year, I keep getting thinner. (I run 5 miles per day) I have lost two inches on my waist during the last year.