Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 10:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/271/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Kettlebells

Just wondering if anybody on here has been using Kettlebells? I just started using them about a month ago as my main workout. I was into the whole isolation bodybuilder type workouts before but I switched over to Kettlebells and they are amazing. They really give you a boost in strength and its like doing cardio and weight training all in one. I suggest anyone serious about getting in shape give it a try. They are really versitile and you can do them almost anywhere. I would love to hear from anyone who has done work with Kettlebells or wishes to get started.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 21:56

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Love 'em. WARNING...kettlebells will cause you to grow unreasonably annoyed when you tell someone you are into strength training and they respond with "What do you bench?"
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 05:27

BF:

Hahaha. I've done a complete 180 on my thinking when it comes to strength training. I benched 300 lbs about 3 months ago but still felt weak when it comes to everyday functional strength and the kettlebells have really improved that aspect of things. Right now I've been using a 35lbs or 16kg Bell and while it may not sound alot I challenge any weight lifter that has never used one to do 5 minutes of snatches and not be tired afterwards.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 11:56

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

ive never really did any strength training before. what weight kb should i start out with? should i get two or one?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 04:58

BF:

When I first started out Kettlebells I bought a 30 lbs one. Technique is very important when using the kettlebell though so make sure you do your homework. Either seek out someone to train you or go to youtube there are hundreds of instructional videos there. Dragondoor.com is another great site for all things kettlebell related
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 04:59

BF:

Oh and you only really need 1 to start out with.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 09:16

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

cool thanks
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 13:10

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Yeah. Getting stronger is awesome. I started with a 25 pounder and the 35 knocked me around pretty good. Now I snatch the 53-pounder 120 times in 10 minutes and do presses with 62 pounds. Gotta go 70-pound shopping next week. Oh, the UPS man, he loves me.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 13:25
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I bought mine at Academy Sports, you can use jugs full of water or concrete to start out. They definitely work different muscle groups than the free-weights or machines. I was totally worn out for the first week or so. A 25 pounder is good to start out for a man used to weights.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 11:22

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc
ive never really did any strength training before. what weight kb should i start out with? should i get two or one?

Get you one 16kg (35 lb) kb and learn how to use it. It won't take you long to get past that weight. You'll probably go up to a 53 lb. kb after that. At that point, get you two of them, or weight until you're ready for the 70 lb. bell, then get two of them. Once you hit the 70 lb. range, two of them will hurt you for a long time. Good luck!