Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 15:14

Plan: low carb, carb cycling
Stats: 160/121/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:under 10
Progress: 111%
Default belly fat question

hi everyone,

just wondering, did or do any of you have an especially hard time getting rid of belly fat or love handles? i work my balls off, and mine will not go away. there not that bad, but its the little bit of fat left on me that is just campin the hell out! what the hell?

now, 1 or both of the following may be happening in conjuction here:

1. im impatient.
2. its almost my tom, and every month something similar to this happens. (oh, god, i gained all my weight back, aaaaa...you get the pic.)

but what if its not those things? did anyone have some fat that would just not freakin go away? y'all can look at my gym log if you want to get an idea of what i do, ive been forgetting to post in it for a few weeks, but rest assured, im hittin the gym pretty good.

thanks everybodyyyyyyyy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 15:36
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Mattie the last little bit is always the hardest. Here's a link to http://www.musclehack.com/guided-si...orkout-podcast/ and a podcast for 6 pack abs. Thought you might be interested...Bru
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 15:53

Plan: low carb, carb cycling
Stats: 160/121/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:under 10
Progress: 111%

thanks bru, ill check it out!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 16:03

Plan: not sure
Stats: 212/196/170 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress:

Those are the toughest to get rid of. Running and sit-ups are proven to fight that ugly belly fat if you keep a daily exercise. I encourage you to start trying sets of sit-ups and start running every day for about three weeks and you should see a great difference. Wish you the best
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 09:58

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

Genetics play a role in where fat gets lost from first / last. All you can do is keep losing fat until your body removes the fat from that area.

Sit ups / stomach work will not target your stomach fat directly - it doesnt work like that. It will tone the muscles, but if you still have fat to lose then that will be sat on top.

Hope this helps, keep up the hard work and the results will come your way. You seem to be on the right track, and im sure its not half as bad as you think!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-08, 19:37
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb / IF
Stats: 156/132/128 Female 65 in
BF:17%
Progress: 86%

I have been where you are- I NEVER thought I would EVER get rid of my belly. It was just always with me- even through 8 marathons and 100's and 100's of miles run..... and you know what got rid of it finally? Even after 3 kids? a Low carb diet with ha good weight lifting split. - I just have a clean LC diet and lifted weights and got my body fat down to 13% and I finally had Ab muscles.

The only way to see your Abs is to get your Body Fat % DOWN. the only way to do THAT is to BURN fat- and your diet is 85% of that equation. Lifting weights will get your metabloism UP. Running did nothing for my Abs, it actually causes me to GAIN weight in my belly- and lots of people are like this.

My trainer trains lots of women for Figure Competitions and he tells me that he MAKES his cliets QUIT ALL CARDIO and just have a super clean diet and a good weight lifting routine and that burns the most fat.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-08, 14:23

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeanderGir
My trainer trains lots of women for Figure Competitions and he tells me that he MAKES his cliets QUIT ALL CARDIO and just have a super clean diet and a good weight lifting routine and that burns the most fat.

If one feels the need to do cardio, intervals are the way to go. I do HIIT 2-3x a week, or sometimes just plain intervals depending on my energy that day. This type of cardio doesn't degrade muscle. Steady state cardio is useless IMHO. I ran for years and like you, could not for the life of me get rid of belly fat. I still have a little belly, but steady state cardio did nothing to get rid of it. Only weight lifting combined with HIIT has re-shaped my body.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-08, 16:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Laura, I looked at your profile page...great picture of you. You need to post more pictures. And more about your eating plan. Well done!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-08, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb / IF
Stats: 156/132/128 Female 65 in
BF:17%
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Laura, I looked at your profile page...great picture of you. You need to post more pictures. And more about your eating plan. Well done!

Thank you for your compliment. I will post more pics in the future. I am getting back into LC (started in October ) and feel fantastic.

My goal for 2009 is a visable 6-pack, and I know I can get there through LC. I am actually following a Keto diet- 65%F, 30% P and 5% C. some days carbs are more like 10% but I try not to stress over it. Also I will start allowing myself one "carb-up" day per week- I will post more stats once I get more.

I started in October just basic Low Carb. However, since my goals are are little more intese than some people I relize I need to plan out my diet in a little more detail.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 20:14

Plan: Dr. Lyle McDonald's
Stats: 125/117/110 Female 64.5 inches
BF:26%/23%/18%
Progress: 53%

Hi Guys~I started LC a month ago, and just about 2 weeks ago switched to Keto. I feel amazing! I am Celiac, and Insulin resistant, and this has really changed my life. I am a die hard fitness fanatic, and I was afraid at first doing a LC with my HIIT and Weight Training. I drink a protein shake 30 mn. before my workout (along with a coffee and cream), and immediatly after. I wait 1 hour until I eat any fat. I am seeing SSLLLOOOWWW results everwhere, but that darn muffin top! I keep my cals 1200 to 1500, and my macs at 50% Fat, 40% Protein, 10% Carbs. I know it is going to take time... does anyone have this same experience and can give me a boost of confidence that this will actually work? Thank You!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-10, 13:18

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 200/122/117 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have been exercising most of my life, on the average of 10-14 hours most weeks. I started low carbing about 10 years ago and have done different versions of it on and off. 3 years ago I was dx'd with Type 2 diabetes. I am now on Bernstein. He recommends fairly intense exercise. He says you need to start out with the heaviest weight or intensity level and work at that level until you are huffing and puffing and then switch to a lower weight. I find I can burn tons of calories in a lot less time. When I'm on the treadmill I start at an incline of 15 and gradually work down to a cool down. It is very hard to spot train and the belly is the last to go. Mine is almost flat after 6 kids and losing 75+ pounds. A lot of your belly is weak internal muscles which are the hardest to train. At 121 pounds I still have a small belly, no bikins for me. I'm hoping to tighten it up with another 5 pound loss.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-10, 15:13

Plan: calories dont count
Stats: 282/278/90 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:

MattieO: In answer to your problem, a short time will pass and you will see results in those areas you mentioned. I will tell you about a Patient that Dr. Tillman author of Calories Dont Count , published in 1962 had that might be of interest. This patient a woman had been on lots of different diets and had some success however she had excess flesh on one arm. When she lost weight she still had excess flesh in this arm. She went on Dr. Tillmans program and had very good results in weight loss and the kicker was that she lost the excess flesh on that one arm. She then had two arms that looked alike. The thing about low carb diet is that you will loose where the fat isand only where it is. So just hang in there you will get there because the the system will not fail you.