Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 16:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/155/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 40%
Question Over 70 but like my wine

Hi ! any people out there who have a weakness for wine.? I am a healthy 73yr old who needs to lose 20 lbs. Love low carb, but also love my white wine Any advice?

Last edited by trulypat : Mon, Jul-17-06 at 16:50. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 20:25

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Switch to tequila!

Seriously, a glass or so of wine a day will not have a significant effect on weight loss. Keep the carbs low and have patience. The excess fat will slowly be used for energy and you will be like a straw (or a coke bottle, depending upon your genetics).
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/193/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

And the dryer the wine, the lower the carbs! I prefer white zin but am staying away from all wines since restarting lcing recently. I miss it though, LOL.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 11:32

BF:

Good morning. My wine of choice is chardoney. Love the stuff. As for tequila. My very favorite. BUT,!!!! It tends to make me think I can fly. Not a good idea, broke my foot last fall, after doing tequila. Gained 10 lbs before was done healing.hehe
Pat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 10:31

Stats: 203/193/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

It could have been worse....ever hear the song "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off" LOL! What did you try to fly from to get a broken foot....you were dancing on those tables weren't you? LOL.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 22:14

Plan: south beach
Stats: 200/162/150 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default I love red wine and need to lose weight

red wine
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulypat
Hi ! any people out there who have a weakness for wine.? I am a healthy 73yr old who needs to lose 20 lbs. Love low carb, but also love my white wine Any advice?

Hi trulypat, I love my red wine. I have given up drinking (say 2glasses a day which amount to nearly 700 calories for the week) wine for nearly four weeks and I have lost about 7lbs but also have cut back on high carbs. I miss my wine at 5pm and at dinner but my hubby and I are going on vacation end of may and want to lose about 15lbs. At our age,(69) it takes alot longer to shed those extra lbs. I like the south beach diet. How are you doing. Would like to have diet buddy. Maybe we can toast one another on our weight loss. margie from florida.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Default Just don't go to France, or Italy, or Germany....

I was just thinking of this recently because I remembered drinking wine at every meal in Paris - even in the Galeries Lafayette department store cafeteria at lunch! Seems every casual place you dine has wine prominently displayed on the menu. It was wonderful but I think now I'd have to be extremely careful - and what about all those luscious croissants and pastries? I'd love to see a low-carb diet book about travel in Europe and restaurants!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 14:23

Plan: south beach
Stats: 200/162/150 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Its 5:00pm somewhere

Quote:

Hi trulypat, I too enjoy my wine at 5Pm along with having it for dinner. I guess we will have to find other means to give up 200 extra calories to lose weight. So count me in as I too have the weakness.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 08:26

Plan: protein power
Stats: 365/196/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Trulypat,
I'm a 65 year old who loves wine also. Mostly Chardonay. My problem is that I quit drinking my wine in order to lose weight and have gained far more, and feel lousy, by eating sugar. I'm now addicted to sugar. Anyone out there have that problem. Should I just go back to drinking the wine? Any hard candy or soft peppermint candy is my everyday food. Sometimes I eat it all day while on the computer and make myself sick. I also have the problem of "dumping" as I had gastric bypass. How can I stop candy?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 17:00

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

Who doesn't like to have a glass of wine every now and then, I sure do. I love red wine.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 17:10

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I think I like the idea of having a glass of wine more than actually drinking it. Often it plugs up my head and ears for some reason.

Last edited by JAnn : Sun, May-18-08 at 15:50.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 14:59

BF:

Hi everyone. I have to stop the low carb. My Dr found that I have P A D[arteries blocked in my legs.]Need surgery, But will try to change my diet first. Switched to low low fat and unrefined carbs. It is helping my circulation, and believe it or not I have lost 7 lbs.
I guess that means I should no longer post to this group. I will miss you all and good luck. I still can have my wine......No fat in wine!!! lol lol Pat
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 15:52

Quote:
Hi everyone. I have to stop the low carb. My Dr found that I have P A D[arteries blocked in my legs.]Need surgery, But will try to change my diet first. Switched to low low fat and unrefined carbs. It is helping my circulation, and believe it or not I have lost 7 lbs.
I guess that means I should no longer post to this group. I will miss you all and good luck. I still can have my wine......No fat in wine!!! lol lol Pat
Sorry to hear that. You might do some research on this site and others to see how diet affects PAD. There is a lot of personal experience on different health issues here.

I wish you the best whatever you do.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 15:53

Also, I don't know why you would have to stop posting. You can keep us informed! At the very least you can lurk!!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 14:49

BF:

Thanks JAnn I will check out the ealth sites. I may even lurk a bit lol. Pat