Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 01:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

OK, you can't look fat while wearing size 6 pants. Anyone who can get into size 6 anything can't have enough weight to call him/herself fat. Now size 16 -- another story, Sara.

And unfortunately, my husband did photograph me from the back, on the beach while vacationing in LaJolla. That was one part of what kicked this whole WOE off, so maybe I should be grateful. But one day I will have enough nerve to post that as the "before" picture.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 02:42
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

I wouldn't have believed it either!!! Others standing with me agreed, however. I was sitting in a chair with a cat-in-the-hat hat on. My T-shirt with "the cat" was big and I was holding a book. The shot was straight on. Don't princesses kinda turn to the side or something? I'm gonna start paying attention to these kind of things. Have you noticed that as I get smaller, I seem to get shallower and shallower. Gosh! Maybe that's what they mean by, "Lighten Up." Ha ha. And for the record, I'm a red head....as per my hairdresser.
Oh well,
Sara<><
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 23:11

Stats: 175/175/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sara,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in but I know what you are getting at in your last post. I am getting so conceited, especially with everyone always complimenting my looks and me not feeling guilty or uncomfortable about it anymore. I could get used to this frame of mind - I mean we are women! Vanity baby!

~Danielle

Oh, BTW: I am also not loosing on the scale but am loosing inches too, and my size 6s are getting looser! I have been working out so maybe it's just toning. But I'll take a tighter body over what it says on the scale. No one sees those numbers in a bikini!
  #154   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 00:51

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

I think it's perfectly acceptable and not shallow to take care of yourself! Maybe not if it gets out of control... but a healthy self-esteem is great. Besides, what good are you doing if you don't look it? I think clothes usually cost the same whether they're ugly or cute. And you have to wear clothes! Anyway, you can only look as good as you feel so go for it.
  #155   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 01:03
Registered Member

Plan: adjusted Atkins
Stats: 221/190/150 Female 5feet 5inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Unhappy THE borderline???

I almost want to stop when I read this stuff! But, I wont, I am not doing this for attention, and yes I know it will come. About 5 years ago I LC dieted. I never cheated once, I lost 40 lbs. in 3.5 months. A new man fell in love with me. Then I discovered he liked to drink and , well, he called me names, and I began to forget I had ever lost 1 lb. It is not so easy the second time around..... I know this... I love myself.

I disregard people that loved me at 140 lbs., but shunned me at 220lbs.
I know if he saw me in another month he'd take me back. He would be so hot for me.

But, he fucked up... Yes I got FAT, he told me I was fat, Now I see pictures, I was not fat!

Then I became the self fufilling prophisy... DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think or call your self fat if you are not!

Yeah LOW CARB for life is great, but I worry about those on the borderline.. of low carb, no carb, no food.

DO NOT> DO WHATEVER IT TAKES. EVER!! just to look good... a dead body at the morge, will ALWAYS LOOK WORSE THAN A LIVE BODY IN THEREPY
  #156   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 05:33
Princess Sara

Getting over ourselves!! I spent soooo many years depressed and hating myself. I've been thin before, but I lacked maturity and confidence. In some way, the fat layers were barriers of protection. They served me or I wouldn't have kept feeding them.

I've done a lot of head and heart work during the two years it has taken me to get sober from food addiction and alcohol--and thin. I am gaining confidence in my real self.

My sense of humor helps me a great deal. "If we weren't crazy, we would all go insane." I appreciate this thread where I can speak tounge-in-cheek and remind myself not to take things too seriously. Losing a "significant amount of weight" is wonderful and disconcerting. Good change is still change. This is a safe place to ramble about the bizarre thoughts entering my head as I go through this time of self-discovery. I find most of them funny...I thought that was just me, but since this thread continues to grow, others seem to be cracking up and laughing as they transform themselves as well.

Thanks for giving me a place to laugh, celebrate, and share.
Have a giggle today!
Sara<><

Last edited by sarar : Wed, Mar-15-06 at 05:54.
  #157   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 19:10
Registered Member

Stats: 198/182/168 Male 70 inches
BF:BMI 28.4/26.1/24.1
Progress: 53%

What stood out(for me at least) like the proverbial "dog's balls in the moonlight" about this whole Low-Carb Forum is how serious and straight-laced most of the topics and discussion styles are.

Sarar's thread is like an oasis in the desert. Speaking frankly and openly and sharing our fears and joys is fantastic. Having a laugh as well as a cry is so good for the soul.

Having said that, I do very much understand what Noel is talking about. At the end of the day we choose this new way of living for ourselves first and foremost. When we listen it should be confined to what our own body is telling us. What others say...... good and bad...... must not get in the way of that.

A little of my own recent experience. The first 3 months on Atkins was the easiest and most enjoyable thing I've done health-wise for years. It followed a series of treatments, about 40 operations, and anti-depressants....... all of which knocked me around and made me feel much worse. The A-D's made me binge-eat(something I had never done before) and sent my libido right through the floor(never ever experienced that before either). I was going out backwards in a big hurry. I stopped the operations but was advised to continue with the A-D's. Then I was contacted about attending a school reunion. As much as I wanted to go there were serious doubts I could get my act together and be able to make it. In sheer desperation I sought the advice of a naturopath I'd heard on the radio. He has been brilliant for me ever since......with diagnosis, prescribing and mentoring.

So I got it all together and travelled to the reunion. I brought the A-D's with me with the intention of taking them but on both the Fri and Sat nights got home late-ish. As I had to get going early the next day I skipped taking them as they make me sleep heavy. To cut a long story short I had the best weekend ever. The only downside was the awareness of being 2 stone overweight........ not what others may have thought but just being uncomfortable in my suit and feeling generally unfit. On my long drive back home I made a big decision...... "Stuff what the doctor says. I'm going off the A-D's and will go it alone come hell or high water".

A month or so later I stumbled by pure chance on Dr Atkins book at a booksale while filling in time waiting for my car to be serviced. That was 11 Nov 2005. I lost my 2 stone "excess baggage" easily in 3 months. Others were saying "Dont lose any more", "do this, do that" etc. It got confusing. I listened to my body and it said "enjoy yourself a little more" so I did. I imported the Dreamfields Pasta....... special treat number 1. Healthy, low carb, as tasty as any pasta I've ever had. Eat more fruits(peaches, nectarines, bananas etc) or include them in smoothies. That sort of thing.

To my surprise my weight still fell, albeit much more slowly. Then I discovered low GI bread(38) and re-introduced bread into my diet. Even started to have donah kebabs wrapped in lebanese bread occasionally. Once again my weight holds steady.............. how easy is this?

Then about 4 weeks ago it was as if all my taste-buds had all been poisoned. I could not stand the taste of my drinks(water with low-cal cordial containing 40% real fruit juices), bacon, eggs, cheese etc. I believe it came from the taste of my 2 liquid herbal remedies. But why was it only happening now after 3 months? I believe my body was telling me again "Ease up, get back on the rails". So that is what I'm doing. Rather than going off Atkins completely I'm reviewing and revising things according to what my body tells me. I've replaced one liquid herbal supplement with a tablet version and halved the frequency of the other one. I can handle Coke Zero and am starting back on my water(with lc fruit juice cordial).

In summary I am very happy with where I am at weight-wise. My long term target is arbitrary anyway so I do not see it as some sort of holy grail. When my taste-buds and gut feel tell me I will adjust my goals accordingly. Exercise is something which I need to do more of, and this may well be the direction to steer towards next.

Thanks for allowing me to feel able to share
  #158   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 20:08
Princess Sara

Jumpin' I always love hearing what you have to say. Getting in touch with your body--fantastic!!!

I was one sick cookie, in every way. I honestly don't know how I was able to drag myself to function each day--if that is what one would call it. I don't know why I am still alive. And at that time, I didn't really care to be alive. I've planned suicide twice in my life...finally I just died a little every day.

Health...a single choice of action, one minute at a time. I am just learning how to live without so much pain...physical, emotional, spiritual. I'm not pain free, yet. I make little decisions all of the time now. Am I doing everything I need to do, no. I still have better intentions. I do take small steps of action each day. The list grows: Yes, I will stop and check my blood sugar 4-6 times a day. Yes, I conciously work at my diabetes control. Yes, I will take vitamins today. Yes, I will wash my face before bed. Yes, I will get my water in. Yes, I will call and set up an appointment with a new gynocologist to see what I can do about my feminine woes...and my chronic anemia. Yes, I will focus on my relationship with God. Yes, I will stop working at a reasonable time each day and go to bed early with a book. Yes, I will shut my mouth and work on my relationships with others. I will care about myself and take care of myself....which makes me "see" the lives of the people in my path. I'm learning to live and let live. One little action at a time.

I am learning to love life...and maybe even believe I am deserving of it.

This is a safe place.
Sara<><
  #159   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 11:29

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

I'm honored to be able to share space with you, Sara.

This is about us. Very few places where you can just focus on yourself and not be considered conceited. If you aren't healthy, you can't do anything else, anyway. I'm doing this for me and a desire to live longer, healthier, with a quality of life. Not for a sex life (although it has been better since I lost all this weight, thank you). Not for the way others see me, since I really tried not to let others' reflections of me get me down. Just for me.

Fortunately, I don't have a weird, skewed body image. I knew I was fat. Now I can look at myself in the mirror and say "Not bad, Gail. Could be better, wish the thighs looked better, but not bad." Hopefully in another 30 pounds, plus or minus, I will say, "Pretty d*mn good, Gail. You are one nice looking lady, and I'm proud of what you've done with yourself." Self-talk is an OK thing. As long as it's not constantly degrading -- that's not healthy.
  #160   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 12:32

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

You know- I think when I'm not taking care of myself in a way that is more self indulgent. I eat what I want, drink what I want, all to satisfy an immediate need. Then I feel bad and the cycle goes on... I can do more with my family, I'm happier, and I'm more fun to be around when I feel good. And that just happens to be when I look my best too.
The people who love you want you to be happy with yourself. Now that's not going to be everyone! There are those who are more comfortable with you when you're down, but I'm not sure that's a problem with you, I think that's their problem.
  #161   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 15:55
Princess Sara

I have the fund raiser fashion show thing tonight. We had a practice today and I was so focused on helping the kids--especially this darling little 4-year-old who didn't have the first clue about what category he was in...or even how his mama was going to dress him--that I really wasn't focused on what the adults were to do. Then I looked up and watched some of the young teachers strutting their stuff!!! Oh Sh**!!! We gotta do some kind of fancy walk? Visions of Carrie in the Sex In The City fashion show episode flashed before my eyes. Oh Lord, don't let me fall and be "runway roadkill!!"

There is one other "old broad" teacher like me in it. We are giving each other support. We figure it will be fun for the kids, and neither of us are ready to be fuddy-duddies yet. My students are promising to come--and scrape me up, if need be.

I've always believed in having fun with my students, but I would not have agreed to do this kind of event before now. Hey!Dadgummit...I've lost 70 pounds and will model a size small outfit. Not a bad example for my students and former students.

When I feel nerves creep in, I'm gonna remind myself to lighten up!! Life is an adventure!
Sara<><
  #162   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 16:45
Registered Member

Stats: 198/182/168 Male 70 inches
BF:BMI 28.4/26.1/24.1
Progress: 53%
Default Put me in coach, I'm ready to play...... today!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarar
I have the fund raiser fashion show thing tonight. We had a practice today and I was so focused on helping the kids--especially this darling little 4-year-old who didn't have the first clue about what category he was in...or even how his mama was going to dress him--that I really wasn't focused on what the adults were to do. Then I looked up and watched some of the young teachers strutting their stuff!!! Oh Sh**!!! We gotta do some kind of fancy walk? Visions of Carrie in the Sex In The City fashion show episode flashed before my eyes. Oh Lord, don't let me fall and be "runway roadkill!!"

There is one other "old broad" teacher like me in it. We are giving each other support. We figure it will be fun for the kids, and neither of us are ready to be fuddy-duddies yet. My students are promising to come--and scrape me up, if need be.

I've always believed in having fun with my students, but I would not have agreed to do this kind of event before now. Hey!Dadgummit...I've lost 70 pounds and will model a size small outfit. Not a bad example for my students and former students.

When I feel nerves creep in, I'm gonna remind myself to lighten up!! Life is an adventure!
Sara<><
Go for it Sarar and kick some butt Heck I'll even lend you my JF motivational song:-

Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today!
We’re born again, there’s new grass on the field
A-roundin’ third, and headed for home, it’s a brown-eyed handsome man;
Anyone can understand the way I feel.

Chorus:
Oh, put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today;
Put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today;
Look at me, I can be centerfield.

Well, I spent some time in the mudville nine, watchin’ it from the bench;
You know I took some lumps when the mighty casey struck out.
So say hey willie, tell ty cobb and joe dimaggio;
Don’t say it ain’t so, you know the time is now.

Chorus

Yeah! I got it, I got it!

Got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, and brand-new pair of shoes;
You know I think it’s time to give this game a ride.
Just to hit the ball and touch ’em all - a moment in the sun;
(pop) it’s gone and you can tell that one goodbye!

Chorus
Chorus
Yeah!
  #163   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 17:00
Princess Sara

Okay Jumpin' I am letting the first layer of my mascara dry and checked in to see....just in case. Thanks for the support!! I'll try to be up for the sports analogy....just as long as it is metaphorical--nail hazards, don't cha know!! Gonna put on more mascara, lots of silver bangles, sparkly stuff on my cheekbones (bones, ha ha)................and, I've already taken three gas pills!
Sara<><
  #164   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 04:50
Princess Sara

I made it through the event without falling on my face. I did get a little tired of looking after evening-attired beauties, cowboys, and hip-hoppers...at least I didn't have to watch the fun-in-the-sun crowd, as well. Excited children!! Talk about metabolism!

I did get my picture taken...I told 'em, "Make this one look good for my friends in my on-line group." Here is the thing with pictures and clothes and weight. I find it hard to wrap my brain around what size I am. I spent so many years NOT really looking at myself. And when I did, it was very much censored...not really seeing. Now, my body feels so different. It is hard to get a handle on it. I notice my husband looking at me--and rubbing, etc. with a similar kind of curiosity. Mine has been a slow transformation. I honestly can't imagine what it would be like to lose a large amount of weight in say three months.

Reality, what a concept!
Sara<><
  #165   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 06:44

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Sara!!!! OH my gosh I am so happy for you!! I cant wait to see the pics...I bet you looked incredible!