Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 01:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%
Default Atkins Friendly Earthquake kit/ ideas? Canned veggies etc?

Ok. I have to admit, this thought was spurred by flipping the channels at 10:30pm and catching the last 1/2 hour of a made for TV 2 part series called 10.5. I live in the Seattle area and have been in several shakers and about 5 years ago got my Ham license along with some disaster training. The only thing is that even though we have an earthquake kit that would cover the whole family, it's really fairly HIGH carb. I know the stress of an earthquake plus a sudden high carb diet would probably really mess with my immune system, which is already rattled by a huge amount of allergies. I want to be prepared for the "Big One" that they say we're overdue for (usually we get a really big one every 20 years) and we're WAY overdue.
Here's my idea's so far... Of course tons of water. Since alot of the stuff I've been eating has been either fresh (needing refrigeration) or frozen I have a real problem with coming up with stuff low in carbs. Maybe canned veggies? I've never heard of canned broccoli or cauliflower, does it exist? Wouldn't it be really mushy? Canned asparagus and green beans maybe if you can find them lowcarb? What other veggies are there that are canned that aren't high carb? Maybe lots of canned tuna and chicken? Is there any value to that canned cheese whiz? How high in carbs is it-anyone know?? Too bad they can't can salads, OH..maybe they have canned spinach. Any other ideas? I know I can always throw Atkins bars and my LC red vines and Reeces for comfort foods (they say it's important to have some comfort foods around after a disaster to help you deal with the stress.) Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Annie who can't sleep now after watching that awful movie.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 02:08
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Wow! I was thinking about this same thing tonite. Are there Army survival foods that are more lc?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 04:30

Plan: non strict Atkins - don't
Stats: 160/129/132 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress: 111%

uh, folks if you are in an earthquake just eat! The stress wiould be enough for me! Let's hope you aren't in and EQ. !
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 04:47
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

When we lived in Spokane from 2001-2003 we had rubber maid tubs in the basement for each of us. It was filled with enough food for a month for each of us. Then we had a ton of water and of course emergency supplies like tape, rope, batteries, flashlight, shovel, blankets, diapers, formula, first aid kit, etc, etc......

That volcano is overdo also over there so I was always paranoid.

Now we have our tubs full again for whatever emergency arises here in England but everyone has there usual high carb crap and mine is all lc.

I hope we never have to use them but if so, at least we are ready. DH set aside and extra one for me with normal carb stuff and said, in an emergency the last thing on your mind should be how your eating and more about surviving. He's right, but I have my lc anyway.

Good idea on being prepared.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 05:28

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

yeah.. stock with stuff like:

Canned Tuna/Crab/Salmon
Canned Veggies
Plenty of Water
Maybe a few Low Carb Bars / Cereals
Pork Rinds
Other Low Carb Snacks (just the cheese etc.)
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 07:53

Stats: 215/191/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

My wife and I are also "radioactive", and members of ARES/RACES. I confess that foodwise we're not prepared for an extended emergency, but we keep our "go kit" stocked with canned tuna, beef jerky, a few bars and shakes. I never gave a thought to having veggies on hand.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 07:56
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Oh man, I can't believe I don't have any Atkins shakes in my tub. I better go get some.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 10:16
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

beef jerky (you can make your own)
canned spam/luncheon meats (check the ingredients first)
canned spoinach (yes I have seen it in cans)
canned tomatoes
sardines
tuna/salmon
nuts
dried fruits
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 10:17
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflyer
Wow! I was thinking about this same thing tonite. Are there Army survival foods that are more lc?

I believe spam was invented to serve people who had a hard time finding meat during WWII.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 11:31

Plan: CALP, CAD
Stats: 330/318/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I realize this is a very serious threat (earthquake), but people are always asking me why I live in Ohio..................Well, no earthquakes, hurricanes, and very seldom tornadoes (I live in North East Ohio). My Husband and I do however have a plan for terrorist attacks..........how sad!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 11:44

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Nuts is a real good choice. Walnuts, pecans and of course Macdamias. Yummy Pickles are a great snack.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 12:30

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I would think peanut butter would be a good choice as well.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 12:40

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Whew, thought someone would forget the wondrous peanut butter It's got plenty of fat, some protein, and a small amounts of carbs. I would say it's one of the most perfect foods around

Serri
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 12:41
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

HI Annie:

I'm also a radio amateur, and I do keep emergency supplies. The suggestions that have already been mentioned are good. You can also buy freeze dried/dehydrated foods that have very a long shelf life. In addition, you will need some type of water filtration to provide potable water. But in a true emergency situation, survival is key. Eat whatever you have to.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

well you don't want your blood sugar going haywire, I know for me low blood sugar can become a medical issue if I don't eat right. Just stock stuff you find in your pantry.